Would love to hear all about your clownfish! Bonus points for pictures.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Sharkbait19 hows luxo doing these days
Still crazy as usual…
Tell me about the clownfish in your tank
What species are yours?
Are yours solo, in a pair, harem?
Do yours host an anemone? If so, what kind of anemone?
Are they bullies to your other fish? If so, what type of fish?
Feeding routine?
Welcome to the forum!

I have a pair of occelaris clowns - the female is a mocha (the infamous Luxo) and the male (Sharkbait) is a Darwin (who recently went full black).
Originally the pair hosted an indo torch, but have moved to a BTA when I removed the torch. Ever since putting the torch back, they have stayed with the BTA.
My male couldn’t care less about the other fish, but Luxo is pure evil. Back when I kept her in a 13.5 gallon tank, she killed her first mate, a firefish, and a royal gramma, she also made sure my aurora goby wouldn’t leave its cave. Ever since moving her to a 40B, she hasn’t killed yet but is still very territorial. Generally if the other fish stay out of the way (goby, kamohara blenny, coral beauty angel) then they will be fine, but my angel doesn’t understand boundaries so they get into arguments pretty frequently. So far it hasn’t gotten bad enough where I need to intervene. She also doesn’t like certain corals near the nem - she completely tore apart an anacropora colony because it was within a few inches of the BTA. Lastly, she doesn’t like my hand too much…
Feeding consists mainly of NLS marine pellets, mysis shrimp, and occasionally LRS nano frenzy and brine shrimp. All fish also have free range over the pods in the tank. I’ll feed 1-2 times a day, morning and night. Generally clowns aren’t very picky.
I have some of the meaner clowns - most will be more mellow aggression-wise (the orange and white morphs seem to be less aggressive). A large enough tank (over 30 gallons) helps to ensure they have enough territory to calm aggression down.

laezur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What species are yours?

I have a Darwin, and what was advertised as a Platinum but I believe it to be more of a black storm. It's basically entirely white with black tail, fins, and black lips. Beautiful girl she is. I will try to get pictures when I am home from work.

Mine are currently paired. It took a while to get them paired, but eventually we had success. They swim together, eat together, share the same anemone, but sometimes sleep separately.

Yes! They live in a rose bubbletip anemone that is way too small for them, but they're gentle with it. It's funny watching the female nuzzle it when it's bigger than the anemone itself lol.

Not even a little bit. They're actually really docile. I can pretty much grab them with my hands and they won't be bothered, they're very inquisitive and I think I got really lucky. Even near the anemone I could stroke one if I really wanted to, like a dog. Sometimes, my Goby forgets that his territory is not the entire dang tank and nips at the clowns, they just sit there and take it until he gets bored, so he can't be doing any real damage.

Feeding routine?

I try to feed twice a day a mixed diet, I feed once frozen mysis mixed with nyos goldpods and sometimes change this to brine shrimp every few days. Then for the second feed of the day I will feed pellet food that they seem to love. They also pick at the algae from the rocks and I think they do this to actually tell me they're hungry, almost like theyre being dramatic saying "dad im so hungry im eating this algae please feed me"

I love them to bits.

CO2TLEY

Saltaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What species are yours?
Feeding routine?
Misbar maroon
Pair
They host a rainbow bubble tip anemone
Not a bully to the fish but a bully to my hands whenever i put them in the tank
Feed once a day, LRS reef frenzy or mysis, brine shrimp

diverjm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What species are yours?
Feeding routine?
Meet McFlurry, my flurry/snowflake clownfish.
She is solo.
She doesn’t have an anemone but loves to hang out on my zoas.
She’s my only fish but if very peaceful with all my inverts.
I feed her twice a day, frozen brine shrimp and Piscine flake on the morning and frozen mysis at night. 4B0A73C7-225E-4687-B67E-81E861834167.jpeg

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased 2 juvenile ocellaris as my first fish in my current tank. They got along swimmingly for about 3 weeks when one began bullying the other to death. I purchased another about 1/2 inch bigger and they have bonded well, it has been about 16 months. They are very docile and since I don’t have a nem, they are hosted by the return nozzle in the upper corner. They get along well with the other tank mates and don’t mind when other fish swim through their territory. I feed twice a day mysis, brine, lrs fish frenzy and flake. I had a maroon clown
E78A2A70-B6C7-4495-A9E6-217E0694F498.jpeg
decades ago that was a serial killer. I think Luxo and it coud been friends.

NkSde

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are my chocolate ocellaris!
They love each other and are nice to my purple firefish Bertram.

I don’t want an anemone so later when their 20 is more established I plan on some softies they hopefully will enojoy.

for now they sleep in the mouth of a cove I build w liverock

they swim the whole tank in the mid to high water column

i feed them twice a day
Dry food slowly til full and enough ti the subtrate for the firefish to come out and enjoy.

been an absolute pleasure but they are my centerpiece fish for the 20 long

00819B9E-F4B7-439F-8FB8-1E630E30F831.jpeg DC397872-DCDE-46FF-9620-46AD951C9543.jpeg

Rham1281

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What species are yours?
Feeding routine?
I have a pair of ocellaris clowns.
They're currently in a 75 gallon with a Lawnmower Blenny and a Valentini Puffer. No bullying that I have noticed
Mine have attached themselves to my algae scraper....
I have tried a few different foods, but they really prefer the Omega Flakes..
They're weird and cause me to panic sometimes, but they really are great fish.
20230309_141618~2.jpg

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
What species are yours?
Feeding routine?
I have two snowflakes and rest perculas. The Perculas started as a group of 14 , most paired off beating the odds. I sold three breeding pairs as eggs were too much and Now have 8 on hand

dropE.jpg
dropF.jpg
dropG.jpg

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally forgot to add pictures of my pair:
218B4E51-17CC-4AFB-A975-4A06CC38F6BA.jpeg

885718C9-1B15-488A-B3CD-CEBBCE117B1B.jpeg
F548E326-B894-480A-888B-B2F880B28ECD.jpeg
FDD3A920-F8C9-4DD9-92D2-01140346CABA.jpeg
You know the thing about a Clown…She's got lifeless eyes, black eyes, like a doll's eye. When she comes at ya, she doesn't seem be living, until he bites ya and the black eyes roll over white.

Cyanohater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What species are yours?
Feeding routine?
I have a pair of frostbite absolute zero, and wyoming white. They are a pair as mentioned. They live in a Green a bubble tip, sometimes they like the ultra rose. They aren't necessarily bullies they just love food, sometimes my sixline wrasse will let them eat first. I feed Brine and Spirulina mix twice a day and sometimes I put in little snacks like copepods. These two clowns are fat and happy

Attachments

• 20230311_123344.jpg
    20230311_123344.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 36

Cyanohater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of frostbite absolute zero, and wyoming white. They are a pair as mentioned. They live in a Green a bubble tip, sometimes they like the ultra rose. They aren't necessarily bullies they just love food, sometimes my sixline wrasse will let them eat first. I feed Brine and Spirulina mix twice a day and sometimes I put in little snacks like copepods. These two clowns are fat and happy
forgot to mention the male (wyoming white) is named Mark Cuban and the female (frostbite) is Barbara corcoran

CrunchyBananas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What species are yours?
Feeding routine?
I’ve got a trio (was 2 pairs, one got bullied to death) that have gotten along for a few years. The pair of the trio lays eggs every couple weeks. They’re all ocellaris, but the make in the pair is a long fin. He’s super healthy and as strong a swimmer as any other clown

483201BA-1032-4484-A99F-33E531F98DCD.jpeg

Cyanohater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got a trio (was 2 pairs, one got bullied to death) that have gotten along for a few years. The pair of the trio lays eggs every couple weeks. They’re all ocellaris, but the make in the pair is a long fin. He’s super healthy and as strong a swimmer as any other clown

483201BA-1032-4484-A99F-33E531F98DCD.jpeg
That's odd they bullied the other guy to death and then became a trio. is that goniopora in the back?

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know the thing about a Clown…She's got lifeless eyes, black eyes, like a doll's eye. When she comes at ya, she doesn't seem be living, until he bites ya and the black eyes roll over white.
Is it safe to go back in the water?

CrunchyBananas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's odd they bullied the other guy to death and then became a trio. is that goniopora in the back?
I thought so too, the one they killed was a small long fin that was supposed to be the male to the larger female. And they mostly choose to be hosted by this alveopora, but go between torches too

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 113 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back