Would the Tanaka's Pygmy Wrasse / White Banded Possum Wrasse compete with a mandarin for pods?

Muffin87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorta going mad trying to find fish I like that aren't gonna compete for pods with a mandarin.

I realise any wrasse except for the fairy wrasses and their relatives will generally feed on pods, but would the Tanaka's Pygmy Wrasse / White Banded Possum Wrasse specifically compete with a mandarin for pods?

I can see the wetmorella wrasses are often described differently from other wrasses in terms of behaviour, so I thought I'd ask.

Thanks a lot any insights and expertise you can share :)

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know about that. I have a spawning pair of mandarins, a spawning pair of reby red dragonettes, a spawning pair of blue striped pipefish and a spawning pair of 6 line wrasses. Except for the 6 lines, the rest of those fish eat predominately pods.
I also have 2 possum wrasses but I don't know if they are spawning. They are not pod eaters and eat food out of the water column as do most wrasses.

Here they are eating new born brine shrimp from a feeder I invented but normally they just hunt on their own and I don't need that feeder any more. The possum wrasses don't eat at the feeder

Lemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know about that. I have a spawning pair of mandarins, a spawning pair of reby red dragonettes, a spawning pair of blue striped pipefish and a spawning pair of 6 line wrasses. Except for the 6 lines, the rest of those fish eat predominately pods.
I also have 2 possum wrasses but I don't know if they are spawning. They are not pod eaters and eat food out of the water column as do most wrasses.

Here they are eating new born brine shrimp from a feeder I invented but normally they just hunt on their own and I don't need that feeder any more. The possum wrasses don't eat at the feeder

hi Paul how much brine shrimp are you hatching? and how often do you feed it?

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I moved here to my new house 3 years ago, I haven't hatched shrimp. My fish seem to be able to find enough pods in my tank with no help from me which I a happy about. I used to hatch them every day and fill that feeder. I don't have that pair of blue stripe pipefish any more. my Janss pipefish killed the male and one of those ruby reds jumped out.

JMann

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I moved here to my new house 3 years ago, I haven't hatched shrimp. My fish seem to be able to find enough pods in my tank with no help from me which I a happy about. I used to hatch them every day and fill that feeder. I don't have that pair of blue stripe pipefish any more. my Janss pipefish killed the male and one of
You’re awesome Paul! I have a spawning pair of Bluestripe Pipefish, spawning pair of either Yasha Gobies or Orange Spot Filefish(babies were realeased into the water column and I assume they were gobies,) and two differwnt species of possum wrasses as well as a female leopard wrasse.

Just wanna mention, I tend to agree with a lot of your notions about these animals having come from a background of spending countless hours diving growing up in Palm Beach, FL with a dad who is the ultimate spear-fisherman, fisherman, lobster harvester, and even aquarium fish/invert collector. The closer to the natural order of things we can come, the better in my opinion. We never had fish disease or parasite problems with the fish we collected from the wild. They were incredibly healthy and vibrant. Yellowhead Jawfish, angels of different species, Hawkfish, Lavender/lightning wrasse, Spotted Drum and Jack-knife, Neon Gobies, Black Sailfin blennies, frog fish, to name a few. We collected them with special nets we made which never roughed them up and we never quarantined a darn thing.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The closer to the natural order of things we can come, the better in my opinion.
Many people can't grasp that concept. :rolleyes:

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.9%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 32 16.4%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 35 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 96 49.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%

Back