Would these shelves support a 50g Low Boy Tank?

Steverd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you feel safe putting a 50g Low Boy frag tank on these shelves?
The size is perfect 48" x 24" per shelf.
Claims 800lb per shelf. And currently they are supporting 40 gallons in
four 10g Tanks. I have modified these by places 1/2" plywood (Covered in plastic)
over the stock pressboard, This prevented any bowing of the shelf.

shelf-1.jpg

shelf-2.jpg

shelf-3.jpg

OP
OP
Steverd

Steverd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, BEFORE I added the plywood, the shelves started to sag in the middle after 2 years.
Original shelves are Particle board, I cover with plastic also.
That's when I started adding the 1/2 plywood to each shelf, OVER the Particle Board,
now no more sagging!

I want to put the 50g low boy frag tank in the about the middle and use the bottom
shelf for a sump. Thankfully my wife does not mind this in our living room!

legionofdoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope I had the same shelves for a 40B and I built a 2x4 stand before I started stocking the tank because every time I touched anything on the tank or the stand it moved way beyond my peace of mind. I never even put rock in it and noticed the unsteadyness, after I broke it down the torsion along the vertical supports was scary. To be clear I water tested the stand and found it too unstable for my peace of mind. Please do your self a favor and don't use it for any long term use.

Dennis McGrath

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Legionofdoom brings up a great point. I would bolt the back 2 main support brackets to the wall for stability.

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would treat the plywood with some sort of weather seal, water will make it expand, warp, and hold mildew, and the odds of splashing water on it are high with it supporting an aquarium.

legionofdoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about this Husky unit?
Claims 1000lb per shelf - Again I would add 1/2" plywood on each shelf.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-7...-in-D-5-Shelf-Steel-Unit-MR482478W5/203828250
Yes they will support the weight if it is distributed evenly but any kind of torsion will collapse it. When I took mine apart the upright supports were starting to bend and it was only full of water for a couple days. If you have access to a miter saw do yourself a favor and build a stand out of 2x4 it took me about 4 hours and it will hold up an elephant. Search YouTube that's where I found my double 40 breeder design.

OP
OP
Steverd

Steverd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome build and photos. After watching Joey's (King of DIY) stand build, I might just build one.
He makes it looks super easy, I have everything but the wood. He used nine 2x4s. (About $3.50 locally)
This would be in the living rooms, so maybe if I let my wife pick out the color to paint it????

a-mused

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would feel better about using this as a pre-fab:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Gladiator-...D-Steel-Freestanding-Shelving-Unit/1000219111

...with 1/2" plywood and 1" closed-cell foam, leveled prior to placing the tank, and placed on a non-carpeted floor. Pretty much any rack or stand you're going to decide on would be best on a solid / non-carpeted floor and leveled prior to tank placement. Before tank, rock, and equipment, you're looking at about 410lbs (more or less) of water weight in a 50gal. The nice part about that particular shelving unit is that it includes front-to-back diagonal bracing to prevent forward/backward racking and multiple shelves keep it from side/side racking.

legionofdoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is really easy, just make sure you buy an extra 2x4 just in case you don't cut perfectly. It's literally two box frames matching the tanks dimensions four uprights connecting the two boxes and then 8 vertical supports. Though I don't think you need eight but since my top frame is longer than the bottom frame I thought it would be better peace of mind. I used ratchet clamps to check for level before I drilled and screwed. Make sure you drill a pilot hole before screwing.

NFO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually just finished my lowboy frag setup and I looked at options like those metal stands but ultimately decided on building my stand out of 2x4's and 5/8 ply. I'm running a 20L sump/fuge on a reverse photoperiod so I needed mine enclosed with doors to block the light at night and to match the look of the other 3 black stands in the room. But the same effect could be had with the metal rack style stand and some curtains of some kind, you could even use the curtains as a canopy up top to cover the lights.. but honestly If it's in my living room I'd go stand and paint it to match the room..just my 2 cents..only thing is if you go with a stand you have to solve the light hanging issue vs rack you just hang them from bottom of the top shelf..I'll post a pic of mine in the morning when the lights are on..

NFO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20180718_113634.jpg IMG_20180718_113557.jpg IMG_20180718_113714.jpg
Here's mine..I know it's dirty..lol..but I like it so far but with all that surface area evaporation is crazy..I'm gonna need a ato for it soon for sure to keep it stable..

TerraMagnus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would one of you mind please measuring the *true* dimensions of your 50 gallon low boy *including* the rim? Most published tank dimensions only measure the glass, but if I were to drop one or more of these inside of a muscle rack, I have to account for the fractional inches added by the rim and how it might be too big to fit between the posts of the muscle rack.

Back