Would this be a good source of nitrate?

efly77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Approved" is meaningless. Who's doing the approving?

My recommendation is to dose inexpensive food or ACS reagent grade sodium nitrate.
Randy,
I’ve been researching the web for dozing Nitrates and you come up in every post I looked up so I hope you can help me select the proper sodium nitrate. I’m from Canada and NANO3 seems to be very hard to come by. I found this product which is ACS grade. Here is link to the documentation. If you could check it out and share your thoughts:

It’s mostly the PO4, heavy metals and Iron listed in ppm when all other items are in %. That I am unsure. The Assay calls for equal or higher 99.0%.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy,
I’ve been researching the web for dozing Nitrates and you come up in every post I looked up so I hope you can help me select the proper sodium nitrate. I’m from Canada and NANO3 seems to be very hard to come by. I found this product which is ACS grade. Here is link to the documentation. If you could check it out and share your thoughts:

It’s mostly the PO4, heavy metals and Iron listed in ppm when all other items are in %. That I am unsure. The Assay calls for equal or higher 99.0%.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Yes, ACS reagent grade is a good grade and the impurities listed are OK (all are less than numbers).

efly77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, ACS reagent grade is a good grade and the impurities listed are OK (all are less than numbers).
Thanks for the reply Randy, seems like Sodium Nitrate is not a possibility for me here. That said I can get Potassium Nitrate from an aquarium plant fertilizer supplier. The ratio calls for 13.5% Nitrate Nitrogen and 46.2% Potash K2O. Not being a chemist, can this safely be used to raise Nitrate using the plantedtank calculator? Wouldn't this risk raising Potassium in the tank too much? You must've answered this many times but just want to make sure. Thanks again!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply Randy, seems like Sodium Nitrate is not a possibility for me here. That said I can get Potassium Nitrate from an aquarium plant fertilizer supplier. The ratio calls for 13.5% Nitrate Nitrogen and 46.2% Potash K2O. Not being a chemist, can this safely be used to raise Nitrate using the plantedtank calculator? Wouldn't this risk raising Potassium in the tank too much? You must've answered this many times but just want to make sure. Thanks again!

Some folks dose potassium nitrate. Only concern (aside from purity, which I do not know for your product) is that potassium may rise long term. It's a bigger concern if you are not doing water changes.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back