Would this be okay in my 180g tank?

Yourlocalreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
EFC41D54-1DB7-429B-AA77-08BDC3C96776.jpeg

Hi currently have a lid now just in case but I wanted to ask if my tank would be okay with 1-2 diamond goby’s and a mandarin goby would be okay or should I stay with one diamond and one mandarin?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t do a diamond (or any Valenciennes) in a tank less than 4’. They feed on the micro fauna in our sandbeds yet they keep them sparkly clean (Which they shouldn’t be able to do with the lower levels). This is due to them wiping out what they feed on, the nutrients they get from the sand bed may not compare to those that we feed into the tanks. They also rarely accept frozen in the longrun.

Another reason for a 4’ tank minimum is the amount they actually swim. These aren’t like our most common gobies, such as Stonogobiops yasha which usually rest on the sandbed and don’t move much. These do move around and they love to move around more than you’d expect when happy.

So, I do recommend you think about going for a Diamond.

As for the mandarins, you’d need the year old tank (or older). This is also due to them being pod eaters and even when you have them feeding frozen it’s not uncommon for them to revert back to pod eating.

Upvote 0

RSnodgrass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd offer one counter to the previous post but also in general agree with it.

Mine *diamond gobie is very active in a 300 gallon working the entire sandbed multiple times a day. They actually get fairly large but would be fine in a 180 IF it's already eating pellets and frozen like mine and you feed a minimum of 2 or more times a day (minimum).

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Yourlocalreefer

Yourlocalreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t do a diamond (or any Valenciennes) in a tank less than 4’. They feed on the micro fauna in our sandbeds yet they keep them sparkly clean (Which they shouldn’t be able to do with the lower levels). This is due to them wiping out what they feed on, the nutrients they get from the sand bed may not compare to those that we feed into the tanks. They also rarely accept frozen in the longrun.

Another reason for a 4’ tank minimum is the amount they actually swim. These aren’t like our most common gobies, such as Stonogobiops yasha which usually rest on the sandbed and don’t move much. These do move around and they love to move around more than you’d expect when happy.

So, I do recommend you think about going for a Diamond.

As for the mandarins, you’d need the year old tank (or older). This is also due to them being pod eaters and even when you have them feeding frozen it’s not uncommon for them to revert back to pod eating.
It’s a 6ft tank sorry forgot to add that part and the shop keeper says he has them eating cyclops would I still be okay or should wait?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Yourlocalreefer

Yourlocalreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd offer one counter to the previous post but also in general agree with it.

Mine *diamond gobie is very active in a 300 gallon working the entire sandbed multiple times a day. They actually get fairly large but would be fine in a 180 IF it's already eating pellets and frozen like mine and you feed a minimum of 2 or more times a day (minimum).
Do you recommend any pellets that are best for them?

Upvote 0

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a 6ft tank sorry forgot to add that part and the shop keeper says he has them eating cyclops would I still be okay or should wait?
I wouldn’t, looking at the sandbed it looks rather shallow and these fish need a deep sand bed so that they can completely decimate life in it.
As for the cyclops, you’d need to feed several times a day to keep up with the nutrients they’d get from the sandbed as well as your own sand’s microfauna.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Yourlocalreefer

Yourlocalreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t, looking at the sandbed it looks rather shallow and these fish need a deep sand bed so that they can completely decimate life in it.
As for the cyclops, you’d need to feed several times a day to keep up with the nutrients they’d get from the sandbed as well as your own sand’s microfauna.
Would getting a couple more bags of sand help plus feeding?

Upvote 0

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would getting a couple more bags of sand help plus feeding?
It would but you’d need to let the additional sand settle and mature before getting the goby. I personally recommend Atleast 2 year old sand if not 4-5.

Upvote 0
Back