Would you buy fish pictured out of water?

Would you buy from a store where the fish is pictured out of water

• Yes

Votes: 77 44.5%
  • No

Votes: 90 52.0%
  • Other

Votes: 6 3.5%

• Total voters

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been on the hunt for fish lately and I've come across a few sites that post pictures of fish out of the water. When I see it displayed like that I find something disturbing about it, which makes me not want to buy from the LFS/Online store. Part of me thinks that the store doesn't have tanks to hold the fish or they are a fish farm that really doesn't care about the health of the animal I'm tyring to dispel some of these assumptions PLEASE HELP.
  • I'm curious if anyone else has this reaction?
  • Would you buy from the store?
  • Do you know why they do this?
A couple of notes:
I know fish can be out of water for short periods. This is not a complaint post I'm trying to figure out why I have this reaction and if anyone else shares it. I care about my livestock so the minimal amount of stress that I can cause them the better.

OP
OP
BighohoReef

BighohoReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not a practice I like as well, it really is weird laying across someone's hand
I agree I've been trying to wrap my head around it. I just can't logic my way through it.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...... however, it is quite common. It can be quite hard to get a good picture of a swimming fish ….. that's why some places do it. Ironically, the most humane/caring thing you can do for any animal is to leave it in its natural environment.

flabryth

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been on the hunt for fish lately and I've come across a few sites that post pictures of fish out of the water. When I see it displayed like that I find something disturbing about it, which makes me not want to buy from the LFS/Online store. Part of me thinks that the store doesn't have tanks to hold the fish or they are a fish farm that really doesn't care about the health of the animal I'm tyring to dispel some of these assumptions PLEASE HELP.
  • I'm curious if anyone else has this reaction?
  • Would you buy from the store?
  • Do you know why they do this?
A couple of notes:
I know fish can be out of water for short periods. This is not a complaint post I'm trying to figure out why I have this reaction and if anyone else shares it. I care about my livestock so the minimal amount of stress that I can cause them the better.

I would expect this is done so you can see the animals while not under the aquarium lights. the lights on the tank can really change how the little guys look. this also helps to give you a better since of the true size of the animal.

I do not like putting any stress on my new friends as possible, but I get the general idea as to why.

OP
OP
BighohoReef

BighohoReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...... however, it is quite common. It can be quite hard to get a good picture of a swimming fish ….. that's why some places do it. Ironically, the most humane/caring thing you can do for any animal is to leave it in its natural environment.

I do get the picture part, tons of blurry fish pics. If you were a fly on the wall when my toddler watched Finding Nemo for the first time. "Dad is that how we got our fish?" "Did you go to the ocean and take someone's baby?". I'm still dodging that question... teaching avoidance is okay right
o_Oo_Oo_O:rolleyes:

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do get the picture part, tons of blurry fish pics. If you were a fly on the wall when my toddler watched Finding Nemo for the first time. "Dad is that how we got our fish?" "Did you go to the ocean and take someone's baby?". I'm still dodging that question... teaching avoidance is okay right
o_Oo_Oo_O:rolleyes:
That made me laugh out loud, lol! My daughter is upset right now bc the starfish doesn’t have a face she can talk to. Toddlers, eh?

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve always assumed they are photographed out of water because underwater fish photography isn’t exactly easy, depending on the fish and the environment, and I imagine they want a photo up ASAP, in order to sell it quick as possible. Snapping one pic of a fish in your hand is certainly quick and takes little effort and time.

See Gee Sea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Considering that I'm an avid fly angler and we have a movement called "Keep em wet" - don't remove them from the water when you remove the hook and release vs a "grip and grin" moment with the camera I'd say No. Nothing good comes from handling a fish. You get slimy, they get stressed.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't consider it any sort of indicator of quality of the store. All fish stores are handling fish like this at some point in the process of receiving them from the warehouse to getting them on display in the store front. Might as well take a pic while you are at it.

Personally, I prefer to see the fish in water in a natural state with the fins spread out but I think you can see a bit more detail of water. Ideally, I'd like to see both.

jschultzbass

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand the initial reaction but I wouldn't be too worried about it. Fish are fine out of water for minutes even. I fish a lot in MN and everything comes out of the water before being released. One bonus is if you think it's added stress and fish survives it just fine then the fish is probably pretty healthy.

OP
OP
BighohoReef

BighohoReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would expect this is done so you can see the animals while not under the aquarium lights. the lights on the tank can really change how the little guys look. this also helps to give you a better since of the true size of the animal.

I do not like putting any stress on my new friends as possible, but I get the general idea as to why.
I agree, I've seen some pics where there is a blue bucket in the background and they are outdoors... but when I think about I suppose all our rare fish have come from the ocean not tank bred.

OP
OP
BighohoReef

BighohoReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diver's Den usually has pretty good photos, with no hands. It is certainly possible.
That is true, if you watch the video on DiversDen Wisco setup they have the equipment for those shots. If only I had the skills

OP
OP
BighohoReef

BighohoReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That made me laugh out loud, lol! My daughter is upset right now bc the starfish doesn’t have a face she can talk to. Toddlers, eh?
Haha... I'd say these are reefer problems. None of our other non-reef friends get it :)

alton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I move my fish when acclimating and dipping with my hand as much as possible because I do not want any of the bad water going with the fish using a plastic container. I have had too many get there gill spikes and fins stuck in a net and cause minor damage. Taking a couple extra seconds to snap a picture is no big deal. If a fish is stressed it normally doesn't have much color. If your worried about explaining nemo to your kid try explaining that nemos dad was actually his mom? The only thing Disney got right was the fact Dori the Regal was goofy. And don't get me started with Bambi! The Owl would of cleaned up with Thumper and his family in real life.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I asked a vendor I respect about this once, and they said that it's usually done as part of the process of moving the fish from one container to another. I don't know if that's just their practice or if that's the common practice, but it made me feel better. If it really is for a moment when the fish was already going to be out of the water, then I can see the logic of taking the photo then.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alot of divers/wholesalers do the same thing. Always thought it was awkward to see out of natural environment but seems like regular practice but not the best.
Would I buy one? Yes if it was the right fish but it would probably be my last choice.

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve always assumed they are photographed out of water because underwater fish photography isn’t exactly easy, depending on the fish and the environment, and I imagine they want a photo up ASAP, in order to sell it quick as possible. Snapping one pic of a fish in your hand is certainly quick and takes little effort and time.
I don't understand why anyone would take a picture that way. Fish aren't that different are they? Also, with the great cameras today, there is no reason it can't be done thru a tank.

Back