Would you buy fish pictured out of water?

Would you buy from a store where the fish is pictured out of water

• Yes

Votes: 77 44.5%
  • No

Votes: 90 52.0%
  • Other

Votes: 6 3.5%

• Total voters

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
giphy.gif

OP
OP
BighohoReef

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I move my fish when acclimating and dipping with my hand as much as possible because I do not want any of the bad water going with the fish using a plastic container. I have had too many get there gill spikes and fins stuck in a net and cause minor damage. Taking a couple extra seconds to snap a picture is no big deal. If a fish is stressed it normally doesn't have much color. If your worried about explaining nemo to your kid try explaining that nemos dad was actually his mom? The only thing Disney got right was the fact Dori the Regal was goofy. And don't get me started with Bambi! The Owl would of cleaned up with Thumper and his family in real life.
I'm similar with the acclimation process we definitely had a challenge with getting the puffer into the tank without adding water from the bag. A

OP
OP
BighohoReef

BighohoReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I asked a vendor I respect about this once, and they said that it's usually done as part of the process of moving the fish from one container to another. I don't know if that's just their practice or if that's the common practice, but it made me feel better. If it really is for a moment when the fish was already going to be out of the water, then I can see the logic of taking the photo then.
Thank you for the vendor follow up. I'm partly amazed they can catch the fish in their hands. In the end, this is probably common practice for most that keep/sell fish. I suppose I just need to get over my aversion to seeing this... I would still question buying from them but I would love to know more about their fish care practices.

Funny as I'm writing this post the internet tracking gods have decided to torment me for my curiosity :p

1591670458433.png

@SALGADO AQUATICS maybe you can chime in since I got your banner. Would love to get your thoughts on this practice. Share with the community!!! Not a blast or complaint, I just want to understand Thank you in advance!

Last edited:

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...... however, it is quite common. It can be quite hard to get a good picture of a swimming fish ….. that's why some places do it. Ironically, the most humane/caring thing you can do for any animal is to leave it in its natural environment.
There it is... they are simply defeating photography. It seems cruel, but at the same time, fish brains are really small. They may not even remember it. I dunno, humans presume too much on lower species.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Although weird, it is becoming common as it is hard to take a pic of a fish that does not stay still. You are seeing actual fish and colors with this method

OP
OP
BighohoReef

BighohoReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm doing some LFS research this week gonna stop by all the locals and ask them what they think. Post the finding on Sunday when I can do a full write up. Would love to know if any of your LFS has a good explanation.

giphy.gif

Stay tuned :)

Squidward

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't mind it. It really is hard to take decent photos of your fish. Not everyone has expensive nikon/canon cameras that know what they're doing. Divers Den put their fish in a small container of some sort to get their photos if I remember? Taking a photo with fish in the hand shows how big or small it is compared to someone's hand as well.

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instead of a photo, especially an out of water photo, I would rather prefer a 1-minute video of the fish in its tank, ideally during feeding. A still photo, whether in the water or out of water doesn't really tell you much about the fish, and an out of water picture can hide injuries and other issues.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think all of us here are more demanding than the average customer but demanding in a way benefiting the standards of the industry and hobby. If every hobbyist out there were as picky as us, the hobby would progress at astronomical speeds lol.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think Humans tend to get to wrapped up on allot of things.
Honestly, if they are taking a quick picture while transferring a fish from a plastic bag full of ammonia and putting the fish in holding tanks.. I'm ok with it. Now if the fish looked like a dried up sponge, I would be concerned. But all the fish out of water shots I have seen they are glistening wet.

Getting pictures of a fish in the water is a pain especially if you are dealing with large numbers. It takes far less TIME to snap a quick picture while transferring a fish than trying to get the best shot. Don't judge, but walk a day in the shoes of the vendor and then see how you feel. It's easy to be a keyboard commando and ridicule others from home.

When I have gotten new fish I don't use a net. I pour the bag of water and fish into a colander and then slide the fish in to my tank. During this time it would be ideal to snap a shot if I were to do it.

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were a vendor I would aspire to become one like HumbleFish or Elliott Lim of Marine Collectors. Theirs would my retail standards. If a customer doesn’t understand that paying more upfront for a clean, pre-quarantined Fish is saving them money and time in the long run, I’d gladly not do business with them. :) They don’t know how good they’re having it, maybe something else would suit them better. :)

HumbleFish is someone I really admire. When I asked him whether he ships internationally, he declined and said that he does not want me to have a dead fish once it reaches my hands. That’s class. Not only did I not think along the lines of “wow this guy is refusing to give me service”, instead of thought “wow if only everyone in the industry cared as much about the livestock as he does.”

Your average seller in my country, “show me the money.” They’d gladly sell a Bandit Angel to a total beginner, and if it dies, they tell you “c’est la vie.”

Last edited:

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 129 59.7%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 63 29.2%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 77 35.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 37 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 63 29.2%
Back