Would you buy fish pictured out of water?

Would you buy from a store where the fish is pictured out of water

• Yes

Votes: 77 44.5%
  • No

Votes: 90 52.0%
  • Other

Votes: 6 3.5%

• Total voters
OP
OP
BighohoReef

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Among the Reef is doing that for many of their fish and for sure upon request.
I somewhat doubt it would be more of a hassle to take a 30 second video of a fish while in the quarantine tank versus catching the fish, putting it into a photo box, wait for it to calm down, take the picture, and edit it.
But LifeAquaria and Diver's Den cater more to the uneducated crowd and flashy pictures sell better than a not so flashy video that would give you a far better impression of the fish's condition.
I fully agree with you on LA/Diver's Den. I've only recently gotten into the buying online phase of reefing. I do like your idea of videoing in quarantine as well. In truth, they could also video on demand when someone requests to buy a fish. It's not a bad idea.

mickeysreef <*))))<

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
interesting poll numbers for any retailers. you might double your sales by just taking in water pictures?

that said, most fish that ive purchased online had no picture. but yeah if im spending like more than 150 or maybe 250, i think i should get accurate pictures and video.

shoelaceike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was actually a company a few years back that had a live Webcam on all the fish they had for sale. You were able to see them 24/7. I actually got a fee fish from there...prices were cheap too

mickeysreef <*))))<

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was actually a company a few years back that had a live Webcam on all the fish they had for sale. You were able to see them 24/7. I actually got a fee fish from there...prices were cheap too

super cool. I think every fish and every inmate should have their own webcam. we can watch some in the water and some out of the water.

DraggingTail

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve always assumed they are photographed out of water because underwater fish photography isn’t exactly easy, depending on the fish and the environment, and I imagine they want a photo up ASAP, in order to sell it quick as possible. Snapping one pic of a fish in your hand is certainly quick and takes little effort and time.
What is your "Earthling" status?

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That made me laugh out loud, lol! My daughter is upset right now bc the starfish doesn’t have a face she can talk to. Toddlers, eh?
You can tank the star fish our of the water and paint a face on to it, just like in the cartoon. Then your daughter will be happy.

Indytraveler83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find the out of water pics a bit awkward, and honestly sort of hard to see the fish itself, especially the color/condition of the fins.

That said, I own several fish that were photographed that way, from a vendor that has a stellar reputation, and don't find that method of photography to indicate much as to the overall condition of the animal. (Mine came in fat and healthy.)

Overall I think they make bad pictures, but don't take it as anything more than that.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the advantage of taken picture this way is the beautiful color that come with stress with certain fish. They can look very colorful when they stressed and out of the water.
It takes days for me to take a picture of a Blue throat Fairy that would show similar color in the picture below, in addition to the need to bring the fish to tip top condition which is impossible for dealers.
31e4e45c007b77bc7b6c2b21089c45ef.jpg

BlueThroatFairy2019040401.jpg

I don't have this Fairy wrasse, but I can imagine how hard it is to get the fish in condition, then patiently wait to snap a picture to show off the color of this wrasse.
18238643_1679736155387507_7315264295988970976_o.jpg

OP
OP
BighohoReef

BighohoReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly that probably wasn't sustainable for them... Though I would think with all the cheap video tech and cloud services you could get something like this setup. FISH STORES TAKE THESE SUGGESTIONS :) lol

Doglips56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been on the hunt for fish lately and I've come across a few sites that post pictures of fish out of the water. When I see it displayed like that I find something disturbing about it, which makes me not want to buy from the LFS/Online store. Part of me thinks that the store doesn't have tanks to hold the fish or they are a fish farm that really doesn't care about the health of the animal I'm tyring to dispel some of these assumptions PLEASE HELP.
  • I'm curious if anyone else has this reaction?
  • Would you buy from the store?
  • Do you know why they do this?
A couple of notes:
I know fish can be out of water for short periods. This is not a complaint post I'm trying to figure out why I have this reaction and if anyone else shares it. I care about my livestock so the minimal amount of stress that I can cause them the better.
Yes I feel the same way! I generally do not buy fish online, however, who know how our lfs’s handle them?
Agree it is just for a “still” shot.
I’m not at all for taking a fish out of water. Even if it does t cause actual harm, they cannot breath out of water, she’s must feel like they’re suffocating. Maybe not but it’s how I feel about it.

OP
OP
BighohoReef

BighohoReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to test a fish buy from a vendor that takes pics out of the water. Does anyone have suggestions on a vendor they use that does this?

Roshan.johnson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been on the hunt for fish lately and I've come across a few sites that post pictures of fish out of the water. When I see it displayed like that I find something disturbing about it, which makes me not want to buy from the LFS/Online store. Part of me thinks that the store doesn't have tanks to hold the fish or they are a fish farm that really doesn't care about the health of the animal I'm tyring to dispel some of these assumptions PLEASE HELP.
  • I'm curious if anyone else has this reaction?
  • Would you buy from the store?
  • Do you know why they do this?
A couple of notes:
I know fish can be out of water for short periods. This is not a complaint post I'm trying to figure out why I have this reaction and if anyone else shares it. I care about my livestock so the minimal amount of stress that I can cause them the better.
I am pretty new to the saltwater scene but before this I was very much into Discus fish,
And 90% of the breeders takes the pictures like this,
It takes the hassle of putting fish into another tank to take pictures which requires acclimating.
Handling fish with bare hand is not that traumatic
The second benefit is I get a better sense of size of the fish when it is against a hand.

I can be wrong but them I am here to learn more

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 75 37.7%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 68 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back