Would you buy fish pictured out of water?

Would you buy from a store where the fish is pictured out of water

• Yes

Votes: 77 44.5%
  • No

Votes: 90 52.0%
  • Other

Votes: 6 3.5%

• Total voters

John Hernandez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been on the hunt for fish lately and I've come across a few sites that post pictures of fish out of the water. When I see it displayed like that I find something disturbing about it, which makes me not want to buy from the LFS/Online store. Part of me thinks that the store doesn't have tanks to hold the fish or they are a fish farm that really doesn't care about the health of the animal I'm tyring to dispel some of these assumptions PLEASE HELP.
  • I'm curious if anyone else has this reaction?
  • Would you buy from the store?
  • Do you know why they do this?
A couple of notes:
I know fish can be out of water for short periods. This is not a complaint post I'm trying to figure out why I have this reaction and if anyone else shares it. I care about my livestock so the minimal amount of stress that I can cause them the better.
Just saw this post and I have to say this is probably my biggest pet peeve in this hobby. I often wonder how they would like to be forced underwater to have their picture taken.

OP
OP
BighohoReef

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have recommendations on where to buy fish where they take pictures in there hand?

Payne Train

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t see how transferring a fish from one tank to another, and snapping a picture while doing it is a big deal. Seems a bit hypocritical being it is probably close to one of the least problematic issues that the fish will go through on its trip from the ocean into your tank... Just my opinion - but just thinking about riding in the back of a USPS truck for 24 hours makes me want to barf lol

I’ll probably have someone disagree with me that will have “getting my new yellow tang for my BioCube 32” in its thread history

Last edited:
OP
OP
BighohoReef

BighohoReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t see how transferring a fish from one tank to another, and snapping a picture while doing it is a big deal. Seems a bit hypocritical being it is probably close to one of the least problematic issues that the fish will go through on its trip from the ocean into your tank... Just my opinion - but just thinking about riding in the back of a USPS truck for 24 hours makes me want to barf lol

I’ll probably have someone disagree with me that will have “getting my new yellow tang for my BioCube 32” in its thread history
When I start to think about the supply chain for the aquarium fish industry from ocean to store whether online or LFS the fish have gone through quite the journey. You start to add in all of the people and chemicals they've probably had to endure from tank to tank... In the grand scheme that 10-15 second shot probably doesn't matter. It still makes me cring though ;)

Payne Train

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I start to think about the supply chain for the aquarium fish industry from ocean to store whether online or LFS the fish have gone through quite the journey. You start to add in all of the people and chemicals they've probably had to endure from tank to tank... In the grand scheme that 10-15 second shot probably doesn't matter. It still makes me cring though ;)
I bet they don’t do those pics with A lion fish

All seriousness - some people will hate the idea and some won’t. Probably won’t change anyone’s minds - but I do think that taking the whole process into account is important. Either way, happy reefing !

OP
OP
BighohoReef

BighohoReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bet they don’t do those pics with A lion fish

All seriousness - some people will hate the idea and some won’t. Probably won’t change anyone’s minds - but I do think that taking the whole process into account is important. Either way, happy reefing !
Haha I'm imagining someone hand holding a lion fish... hilarious. Gonna ask my LFS folks to do it ;) @Payne Train Thanks for the comments! Keep on reefing :)

GJak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When there's 100 fish to take a picture of, trying to photograph them swimming could take ages. My LFS sells online and does this with all of their fish. Everything I have purchased from them is beyond healthy and I have never felt that the out of the water picture is not true to their actual coloration. Zero problem with it.

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salgado aquatics sells very healthy fish and all the pictures they take is the fish out of water which i found strange at first i wont lie lol

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back