Would you buy HEI optic Lenses for your Gen1-3 Lights?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Would you Buy HEI optic lenses for your Gen1-3 lights if they made them?

• Yes

Votes: 117 94.4%
  • No

Votes: 7 5.6%

• Total voters

ReeferRoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The promise or probably more specifically the expectation set by past precedence that i was referring to was the ability to upgrade the lights, g1 to g2 to g3 and the expectation for current owners to be able to upgrade to g4.

adestafi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know if the G4 will be compatible with the G3? I have 2 g3s and need another light so it would probably be a G4- will it fit on the same rails and what will I see in eco tech live when I program it? A retrofit kit would be great if there are too many other compatability issues between the two

griff500

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think it will happen - they want people to buy the new lights. It's a shame that they stated the ability to upgrade pucks as a key feature even up to a couple of days ago on their website and then released a product that did not allow this. I think anyone who has just bought the G3 Pro would have a right to feel a bit aggrieved.

Having said that, the lenses do an excellent job of providing a consistent level of PAR throughout the tank based on my measurements and are a definite improvement over the G3 Pro with wide-angle lenses.

griff500

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know if the G4 will be compatible with the G3? I have 2 g3s and need another light so it would probably be a G4- will it fit on the same rails and what will I see in eco tech live when I program it? A retrofit kit would be great if there are too many other compatability issues between the two

They fit on the existing RMS so they will fit on the rails - the points where they attach are in exactly the same place.

In Ecotech Live you see the same as before but with extra colours. They have also updated the schedules (or at least the Coral Lab AB+) for the new lights.

shadow1013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it may happen if enough people ask for them. For me it's two options, they make a HEI lens for the G3 and I buy three of them for my XR15s I have right now, or they don't and they don't get any money from me because I'm not shelling out $1200 for new lights that basically only added HEI lenses. So if they make them they get a little bit more money from me. If not then they get nothing from me for another two years when G5 comes out.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
The promise or probably more specifically the expectation set by past precedence that i was referring to was the ability to upgrade the lights, g1 to g2 to g3 and the expectation for current owners to be able to upgrade to g4.

Not everybody has the expectation of upgrades forever.
I for one would have liked to, but didn't expect it.
Over the last few months rumors have been circulated over different forums that EcoTech had changed up the new light so that the upgrades were no longer going to be possible.
I have 5 gen 3's that are still working just fine. They didn't stop working when the gen 4 models came out.
I'll ride these fixtures until the stop working and decide what to do when I cross that bridge.

And if I remember right the upgrade kits did not roll out with the new gens. They came after, so who knows what the future will hold.

griff500

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
show me where it said gen 3's were going to be upgrade able.

I'm not in the habit of making things up pal. Obviously the old site is no longer there but an archived view can be found here:

https://web.archive.org/web/20160714183226/http://ecotechmarine.com/products/radion/radion-xr30w-pro

You'll find the following text in the section titled 'Features', almost like it is a feature and brings a realistic expectation of that stated feature being possible:

"The Pro features the same upgrade modularity found in the Radion XR30w."

So, as I said, people who bought a G3 did rightly have that expectation as it was on the website as a feature.

Happy?

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I'm not in the habit of making things up pal. Obviously the old site is no longer there but an archived view can be found here:

https://web.archive.org/web/20160714183226/http://ecotechmarine.com/products/radion/radion-xr30w-pro

You'll find the following text in the section titled 'Features', almost like it is a feature and brings a realistic expectation of that stated feature being possible:

"The Pro features the same upgrade modularity found in the Radion XR30w."

So, as I said, people who bought a G3 did rightly have that expectation as it was on the website as a feature.

Happy?
I thought maybe you had specific information that said the gen 3's were going to be able to upgrade to gen 4's.
pal

griff500

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought maybe you had specific information that said the gen 3's were going to be able to upgrade to gen 4's.
pal

Come off it. You were trying to argue that people didn't have anything to say they would be able to upgrade and I've shown you that they did.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Come off it. You were trying to argue that people didn't have anything to say they would be able to upgrade and I've shown you that they did.
It does not say that gen 3's would be able to be upgraded to a gen 4.
That's all I asked.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I said this exactly

show me where it said gen 3's were going to be upgrade able.

I guess I should said " show me where it said gen 3's were going to be upgrade able to gen 4." Because that is exactly what I meant.

In the end it really doesn't matter.

TaylorPilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with @griff500 on this one. If their website says it shares the same upgrade ability as previous models, and it is their top model, then logic would dictate that when a newer model came out then the previous top model should be upgradeable. They should at least offer a buy back procedure, or that is false advertising.

griff500

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I said this exactly

I guess I should said " show me where it said gen 3's were going to be upgrade able to gen 4." Because that is exactly what I meant.

In the end it really doesn't matter.

That still wouldn't work for you.

Last edited:

ChristopherKriens

Unknown Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an understandable desire. The lack of upgradability includes the lenses themselves, but not simply because of the LED configuration. Per an EcoTech Marine employee, there are technical limitations to the tolerances in the fixtures prior to the G4 that prevent them from realizing the benefits of an HEI lens.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 58.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back