Would you eat anything grown in your tank?

Would you eat anything grown in your tank?

• Total voters

burningmime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was thinking about this after reading the thread on using Pacific Oysters from the seafood market as filtration. If you ever wanted to host a fancy oyster bar and didn't have time to run to the store, you could just pop down to your sump. Most of the fish/clams in our tanks are likely too expensive to be worth eating, and if they die in the tank, they're not going to be in any shape to eat. But some of the macroalgae like Red Ogo are delicacies.

Of course, there are all sorts of other toxins in the tank and enough differences from the natural environment where these things grow that they might not be so tasty. But what do you think? Sushi night?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As much as I love sushi, I don't think I could eat anything grown in my own tank. You do raise a good point about toxin build up. In the ocean with so much water it's diluted to the point of not registering on any tests, whereas you go to a 40 50 or even 125 gallon tank and the concentration is much higher due to low water volume.
I'd stick to red lobster personally ;)

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was thinking about this after reading the thread on using Pacific Oysters from the seafood market as filtration. If you ever wanted to host a fancy oyster bar and didn't have time to run to the store, you could just pop down to your sump. Most of the fish/clams in our tanks are likely too expensive to be worth eating, and if they die in the tank, they're not going to be in any shape to eat. But some of the macroalgae like Red Ogo are delicacies.

Of course, there are all sorts of other toxins in the tank and enough differences from the natural environment where these things grow that they might not be so tasty. But what do you think? Sushi night?
I had a similar thought yesterday after the neighbors allowed their vicious dog off leach and it charged my wife and me while growling and baring teeth. I thought that next time something like this happens I will bring the dog home and put its carcass on the BBQ. It's not a small animal so I'd have to invite the neighbors. We also have a number of barking dogs that could find their way on the menu if I were king. :)

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In all seriousness, the only thing close between what we commonly have in tanks that match what shows up on a dinner plate id eat is probably triggers, (think the humu, I had it every night in hawaii) or Sea cucumber - i had it as a Chinese delicacy, not a fan..

Or puffer fish, if you have a specificly licensed Japanese chef to prep it.

OP
OP
B

burningmime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In all seriousness, the only thing close between what we commonly have in tanks that match what shows up on a dinner plate id eat is probably triggers, (think the humu, I had it every night in hawaii) or Sea cucumber - i had it as a Chinese delicacy, not a fan..

Or puffer fish, if you have a specificly licensed Japanese chef to prep it.
There's actually a few, but not at the prices we pay for them. We get the pretty specimens.

Unagi (eel), Uni (urchin), Labihata (tang/surgeonfish), squirrelfish (eaten in Florida), clams (Derisas are eaten in Southeast Asia), red ogo and some other seaweeds, and of course various kinds of shrimp and crab. Seaweed that could be sustainably harvested is really the only one that would be cost effective.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny to think of it this way .
No I wouldn’t eat anything in mine . They’re all too small

lobsters from the grocery store ...
are they kept in saltwater similar to marine or reef salinity ?
What salt do they use for those displays ?

BBoley24

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hey, I'll tell you what. You can get a good look at a butcher's butt by sticking your head up there. But, wouldn't you rather to take his word for it?

BBoley24

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
No, what I mean is, you can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking your head up a butcher's butt... No, wait. It's gotta be your bull

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope. I actually do not eat seafood. Makes my life difficult when visiting islands.

This is not related to a reef keeper thing. Never could eat any of it. Even as a kid in Minnesota where everyone fished, including me. Just could not eat them. Have tried many times. Just cannot stomach them.

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, I'll tell you what. You can get a good look at a butcher's butt by sticking your head up there. But, wouldn't you rather to take his word for it?
awesome tommy boy GIF

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 56 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back