Would you ever build a house around a new tank? What would you do?

Have you ever built a new house "around" a new dream reef tank set up?

• Yes (tell us in the thread)

Votes: 68 15.9%
  • NO, but I would like to

Votes: 266 62.0%
  • NO, I would worry about the tank later

Votes: 81 18.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 14 3.3%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Happy Monday!

Many of us dream about building that PERFECT reef tank, equipped with an equipment room, drains, water source and the works! A lot of times though we are unable to achieve everything we would like due to the limitations of the current home that we live in. But what about if you were building a brand new home? Let's talk about it today!

1. If given the chance to build a new house would you build it "around" a new dream reef tank set up?

2. What are some of the things you would do if you were building a new home with a dream aquarium housed in it?

images via @kfennell
WMKP3.jpg
oee24.jpg
njx9w.jpg

Clueless_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its definitely a plan of ours to in the future. There's a lot of merit to have the dedicated space and take into consideration things which make the hobby easier/more fun if you like doing the maintenance yourself (which I think most of us do). The alternative is you just keep retrofitting your existing house until the significant other says...NO! lol

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While not building new...we did some house shopping earlier this spring (ended up not buying anything) and "where does the tank go" and "can we get a bigger tank or fish room" were definitely part of our decision making. Just like "where does her pottery barn and kiln go?"

walloutlet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aaaah... duh! Of course I would! LOL! It's in the future plans, when the lottery and stuff happens! :rolleyes:

Definitely would like to build an in wall display tank and have a proper fish room backing it up. I saw a video where someone built a walkway around the back of the tank for servicing in his fish room. I want something like that!

As mentioned above, a Koi pond would be epic in the backyard with the proper vegetation, flowers and water fall.

One can only wish.

Happy Episode 1 GIF by Portlandia

mtfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did this back in 2013. Had several things in the planning. DT is 430 gallons. This faces into in the great room. Hybrid in-wall install. Tank is 3 feet wide. Two feet are visible outside the fish room so I can see from end to end. One foot extends into fish room. Tank sits on square metal tubing stand, so plenty of room below tank for equipment. Put extra rebar in the foundation to help with the weight of tank and water. Fish room is a 2x4 level lower than the rest of foundation just in case some major water spill would not flood the house. House is on septic so fish room drain goes into a dry sump not tied into septic tank. Put 3" PVC pipe in foundation that goes to outside of the house. Put flex PVC through this pipe so I can get salt water with my pickup truck and pump directly into a 165 gallon holding tank via 12 volt bilge pump. All the other usual stuff. Sink. QT tanks, etc.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am planning on it when we build (as soon as lumber prices come down some). I have a question. With an in wall tank where it's flush with the surface of the dry wall, is the edge of the tank in the opening supported by the cased opening? I can't figure out how to have the tank flush with the wall and be completely on the stand.

walloutlet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am planning on it when we build (as soon as lumber prices come down some). I have a question. With an in wall tank where it's flush with the surface of the dry wall, is the edge of the tank in the opening supported by the cased opening? I can't figure out how to have the tank flush with the wall and be completely on the stand.
Custom stand that integrates into the framing, that way you can put your tank directly flush with the wall and add whatever casing around it you wish. Much like a window sill is made.

Tundra Cuttle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if I will ever be able to but I would do it for sure, it would be 15' x 15' x 4' with the sandbed even with the floor and lots of natural light in an open indoor courtyard sort of feeling with saltwater plants growing along the edges of the room incorporated into the system offering filtration and a natural salt marsh feel. I would house giant Australian cuttlefish and a good variety of corals on a couple small islands, attempting to grab a small slice of the Great Barrier reef. This seems far beyond possibility but it's a clear vision of mine.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Custom stand that integrates into the framing, that way you can put your tank directly flush with the wall and add whatever casing around it you wish. Much like a window sill is made.

So if I understand correctly, the dry wall below the stand is attached to the stand not a stick built casing?

DH78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to build a house around a tank. If money were no object, I'd love a monster tank viewable from both inside and outside the home that is deep enough to be on multiple floors of the house.
If we're being a bit more realistic, I'd love a peninsula tank separating the living and dining room with a fish room behind it.

mlivvy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We just purchased a few months ago and my wife didn't like me passing on a house with the "no place for a tank" excuse. Now, I did realize that you can put a tank just about anywhere as long as the floors can hold it.

TnFishwater98

Drink more fishwater there! And I still want more!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to build a house around a tank. If money were no object, I'd love a monster tank viewable from both inside and outside the home that is deep enough to be on multiple floors of the house.
If we're being a bit more realistic, I'd love a peninsula tank separating the living and dining room with a fish room behind it.
Two story Reef Tank!

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only if I was banking on it being my last home, the one I was going to die in. Cuz when I'm gone I don't really care how much it sells for. Otherwise it might tank (get it?) the resale value if you build it into the walls... Some simple layout changes that are conducive to adding a fish room and location of a tank within the room would be unlikely to impact that however. Just my thinking.

Reefs and Geeks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd love to do it, but at this point I have no idea how large I'd like to go. In the past I'd have said up to 1,000 gallons (assuming the budget was there), but as I'm busier and busier with my kids and work, I just don't have the time to do maintenance on a monster tank. I'd still do it for sure (and plan to with my next house), But maybe keep it around 300 gallons or so for the display.

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I was building a new house, I would definitely design it with the tanks in mind.
However, I just bought my LAST house ( I’m 70)! Doing a lot of modifications to accommodate my tanks… will start a build thread soon.
Besides the reef tanks, the new place also has a 1 acre bass filled pond… would take way too much salt to convert it to SW!

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do this if I knew the house was going to be the last I'm ever going to be in.

If I wasn't sure, I would build the fish room with the intention of converting it to a walk in closet or storage area if need be when the time came to sell the house.

Back