Would you ever build a house around a new tank? What would you do?

Have you ever built a new house "around" a new dream reef tank set up?

• Yes (tell us in the thread)

Votes: 68 15.9%
  • NO, but I would like to

Votes: 266 62.0%
  • NO, I would worry about the tank later

Votes: 81 18.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 14 3.3%

• Total voters

walloutlet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if I understand correctly, the dry wall below the stand is attached to the stand not a stick built casing?
That's how I have it envisioned in my head. The stand would basically be part of the wall. I'm not a carpenter by any means but if I was going to build a tank into a wall flush, that's how I would do it. I'm sure there is other ways but my brain can't think of any.

dbowman5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i voted other. No, i have not; No, i probably will not; but, if i was 30-ish, with a boat load of money, and a property with no house on it, you bet it would be an option:
basement fish rooms for sumps, a Large reef in the living room wall, a peninsula FOWLR between the foyer and the living room, a reef wall deep tank in the great room. Three in the den: a predator tank, an invert tank, and a cold water tank, A planted tank in the bedroom. for the kids, aio's and nano's. A utility building to house the chillers, generators, Water processing system. Storage. cabana for the Saltwater pool, screened in of course.
Seriously, did you ever have a QOTD that was more designed to get my mind zooming into the wild blue?

exalectric

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Other" because I love Victorian era homes way too much to ever consider building anything new. But I would love to retrofit a space in a large 1800's home to contain larger tanks for the reef, predator tank and freshwater community and Cichlids. I would love to remodel the interior to keep the historic accents and make it look like the tanks were always part of the home. Also because I really dislike modern looking furniture and tank stands, some build in walls with trim and wainscoting would make me extra happy.

Patientman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When we remodeled out basement years ago, my lovely and loving wife let me have my way … on 1/3 (which was enough) of the basement for my addiction. Had to work with physical restrictions but ended up with nice tile floor, wall drain, sixteen outlets (GFI protected), two dedicated breakers, ceiling exhaust fan with timer and extra room for a quarantine tank … so I did OK! She also enjoys seeing the tank … just not into any of the technical stuff! :D SHE brought up that IF we ever moved what would I want to do different … she listened seemed to understood and agreed things made sense … so although I don't have it in writing … she kind of pre-agreed to small fish room behind tank and all the above … well .. maybe more outlets and a fish only tank to go along with the mixed reef … she REALLY liked angels! GOTTA LOVE HER!

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely not. House valuation would take a massive bit.

MamaP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
YES, absolutely! We are in the process of preparing to build our final home, and you bet that's part of the discussion! My family is tired of seeing all my "fish junk" all over, so they're on board with a dedicated "fish room!" Now I just gotta get them on board with a nice, big upgrade!! May have to get a couple more jobs to pay for it and all the equipment I'd like to have, though, LOL!

NabberNate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I designed my basement around having an in wall see through tank but covid came and it became my office... still got the tank just not in the place I was originally planning. This was going to be the backside.

Attachments

• 16236930937352818327722713039707.jpg
    16236930937352818327722713039707.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 121

TonyP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built my house around my 300g. Plumbing, electrical, etc. It didn't cost me any additional money during the construction and I can easily remove the tank and sell if the new buyer didn't want the tank.

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I vote yes IF my wife would say yes (she wouldn’t), if we were to build a new house (we aren’t), and if I had pockets as deep as the Mariana (I don’t). So basically no.

alain Bouchard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didnt build the "house" around my tank, but the first think to be installed in my then unfinished basement was my tank, and I did build my basement around the tank.

mwilk19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We didn't build new but we bought a house last year. Every house we looked at I pictured where the tanks would go and was there room for expansion.

vabben

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built my new house, then got into reefing. If I was into reefing before building, I probably couldn't have afforded to build. Just kidding. I may do a large build in my basement when we decide to finish it, though that's a few years out still.

arussellnsg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I become a billionaire (eh hem, never) I want to build an entire fish floor of my mansion like Andrew Sandler, in FB group: reeftank paradiseTheReefersWorld. I'm sure you all have to have seen his Gorgeous setup.... I'd love to just work for his aquariums' crew

chk4tix

Not a bot
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back in 2007 when I had my first home built, It was a 2 level home with a basement. Instead of having a single huge tank, I built it so that each floor could have multiple tanks. One 50gal in upstairs sitting area, a 120gal in main living room, a 150gal in the office. All plumbing was built into the walls to allow tanks to be removed or repositioned on different walls. All the plumbing went to the basement where I had a 200gal frag tank and a 400gal sump. Unfortunately, I had to move states for work and sold the house. I haven’t lived in a home with a basement since and I am not planing on building any time soon.

Young@Heart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to but I don't know if my family will move. Now a remodel of home - maybe - depends on cost/desire - weighed against retirement and other ongoing issues.

dirtyxducks19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to click no, but I’d like to because I don’t think my wife would ever allow it after seeing the price tag. Custom would be great If we ever do have the income to afford this I would type up a strong argument and submit it to the boss for approvals. Lol. I’d say it’s defiantly a dream and if the opportunity is there I would try my best. Otherwise life factors like kids and living space come first.

TnFishwater98

Drink more fishwater there! And I still want more!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about building a aquarium around your home? Your house in the middle of the aquarium? Sorry, I dream Big! I’m a home builder and I would love to build a house with a dedicated area for a big tank!
Kinda like this ....

Attachments

• 88D151C0-A940-4AE5-B373-0DD15654A91D.jpeg
    88D151C0-A940-4AE5-B373-0DD15654A91D.jpeg
    200.8 KB · Views: 130

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 51 55.4%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 28 30.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.6%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back