Would you expect a clam to open its mouth after slight change in flow pattern?

AndyB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I've had the attached Maxima clam for a few years now but rather strangely after changing the configuration on my MP40's its had its mouth open for a longer duration than I've previously seen during the course of the day (ie most of the day); mantle though is extended and it looks happy enough to me.

I was wondering if clams typically do this when flow patterns change? Should I be concerned and possibly change the configuration back?

After reviewing other threads I can see new shell growth, though will probably need to get a better than the ones below to show in this thread.

1.PNG

2.PNG

Thoughts/feedback would be appreciated.

Note:

- The MP40 configuration has not changed much, the mantle isn't moving at all.
- Only change made was to increase ReefCrest power by 5%
- Will be testing parameters shortly

RobZilla04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is open more/longer than previously that is a good sign. Likely the increased flow is keeping nutrient particulates in the water column longer which the clam is feeding on.

OP
OP
A

AndyB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply Rob, that makes sense.

Will keep an eye on it and not touch flow config yet.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An open incurrent siphon is not a bad thing and like mentioned above, it's taking in more water. The clam looks great. Look to be a tridacna derasa though. As long as the clam is not getting blasted to where its closing up then I'd leave it be.

hotashes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I've had the attached Maxima clam for a few years now but rather strangely after changing the configuration on my MP40's its had its mouth open for a longer duration than I've previously seen during the course of the day (ie most of the day); mantle though is extended and it looks happy enough to me.

I was wondering if clams typically do this when flow patterns change? Should I be concerned and possibly change the configuration back?

After reviewing other threads I can see new shell growth, though will probably need to get a better than the ones below to show in this thread.

1.PNG

2.PNG

Thoughts/feedback would be appreciated.

Note:

- The MP40 configuration has not changed much, the mantle isn't moving at all.
- Only change made was to increase ReefCrest power by 5%
- Will be testing parameters shortly

Hiya Andy, if we are looking at the clam with blue rim on mantle and smooth shell then that’s a Tridacna Derasa my friend. The mouth could certainly be a little open as it’s filtering the water that little more as you’ve upped the flow a little. As long as the flow isn’t direct hitting the clam I would suggest all is normal.

Maybe @DSC reef or @jda can chime in ;)

A.

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with others it’s a derasa.. mine will react to flow changes similarly, it’s probably getting less flow than before. Your clam looks happy and healthy from the pictures.

OP
OP
A

AndyB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah cool, awesome .... learn something new everyday :) ... great to hear that this is normal behaviour and appreciate the correction on what type it actually is.

I've got a second clam which I thought was a Derasa, probably should post this one too just in-case I've had that one wrong as-well.

3.png

OP
OP
A

AndyB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for confirming that my clam is reacting normally to the change in flow :) ,,, great to get a second opinion on their health, certainly made me happier today knowing this.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 62 84.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.1%
Back