Would you introduce pulsing xenias and kenya trees to your forever DT ?

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m new to saltwater and I’ve read that pulsing xenias and kenya trees can spread to the point of being way too much.

Right now I have 3 x pulsing xenias and 1 kenya tree in my 13.5 gallons Evo. The pulsing xenias have started spreading to the rocks. My 75 gallons display tank is currently cycling and I’m wondering if I should transfer the xenias and kenya tree when the time comes, or just leave them live a happy life in the Evo.

I don’t want my tank to be invaded with the same few corals and have little room left for variety. For those with experience, what do you recommend ?

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a xenia island that I'll cut back if it tries to spread beyond its rock. I personally don't like Kenya trees, so that's just a no from me in general. Haha.

If you enjoy those corals, put 'em in. If you're keeping the 13.5 up anyway, though, it could be fun to have the new tank stocked differently. :)

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would but I have no issues pruning and removing them. If you can’t imagine yourself removing them from the rocks when they spread and don’t want to do that. Then I would not add them.

Some people make their rock scapes too difficult to access and such as well.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just take a razor blade and pop them off the rock. You could toss them or see if your lfs gives you store credit for it.
5FC5A319-B47A-4D0E-A63F-2E7A34A10913.jpeg

Kinda a crappy pic, but all that pink on the left is Xenia. It has since spread all over…I like the stuff though. Easy to remove when I have to make room.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. I like the looks of xenia and added to my tank but luckily it hasn't hardly grew. I also added a kenya tree, which ironically I don't even like the look of, and it has spread and is a pain to keep maintained. If had to do over again there is no chance I would added either.

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kenya's I would not. But not because they tended to spread. IMO they have some of the worst chemical warfare of softies.
Really ? I’m glad you told me then. I’ll look into this before I decide. I was thinking maybe one xenia and the tree, but we’ll see.

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes they are great , I also prune mine weekly and give to lfs for credit which gives me free corals or big discounts! Just bought a torch for 40$ Down from 100$ due to credit

Attachments

• 88DD3EAA-1ED4-4B97-9DB3-CBD2BCDA72DA.jpeg
    88DD3EAA-1ED4-4B97-9DB3-CBD2BCDA72DA.jpeg
    130.5 KB · Views: 223

Arego

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly. Some scissors, 5 minutes and that could be trimmed up in no time.. if you felt so inclined. Just tired of the pest argument with these softies due to laziness.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a xenia island that I'll cut back if it tries to spread beyond its rock. I personally don't like Kenya trees, so that's just a no from me in general. Haha.

If you enjoy those corals, put 'em in. If you're keeping the 13.5 up anyway, though, it could be fun to have the new tank stocked differently. :)

I agree with Kit on this one... I just am not personally impressed with Kenya Trees and I have seen tanks overloaded with them... They drop bits and spread everywhere.

Xenia I have always liked and I would have again. Mine got eaten by an urchin a few weeks ago.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 38 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 6.8%
Back