Would you pay for a Professional Reef Tank Photographer to come to your house?

Would you ever consider paying a professional to come take photos of your reef aquarium?

• Yes if the price was right

Votes: 104 22.7%
  • No I take good enough photos

Votes: 205 44.8%
  • No I don't care about tank photos

Votes: 109 23.8%
  • I am a professional photographer

Votes: 16 3.5%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 24 5.2%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've actually thought about this many times! I'm pretty good at macro photography, if I do say so myself, but when it comes to full tank shots, fish photos etc. I am horrible! I have considered trying to find someone who was more local to come a take better photos and was wondering what you thought about that?

1. Would you consider paying a professional to come take photos of your reef for you?

2. Do you even care if you have awesome photos of your reef tank, corals and fish?

images via @MichaelVargasPhotography
A-11.jpg

A-15.jpg

A-2.jpg

A-5.jpg

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I take lots of good pictures on my own with a DSLR. I consider this a must as a part to support my journal and results. Sharing pictures on the forums is also a plus.

It's also a part of the hobby I enjoy. For what some professional would cost you can buy a good DSLR.

If anyone cares to pay me to take some pics of their corals I'd be glad to do it!:D

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only if the end result is a shaky, blurred video under blue lights recorded by phone so I can keep everyone here guessing what they're looking at. :D

No, really, 2/3 of my builds look awful right now. I suppose I could have artful, tasteful photographs of turf algae and cyano around the living room, but I only have to look into my main tank to relive Memories of the Algae Cycle.

stanleo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a friend at work who does photography on the side and I have seriously considered asking her if she would come over and take professional photos of my tanks or teach me how to. I suck at taking them and I always see these amazing pics of tanks, corals and fish. My photos never do my tank justice.

schuby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a closed hood with lights mounted to top. When hood is opened/tilted-up, the lights move and now point away from tank. Has anyone found a way to take amazing pics of their reef with a similar, hooded tank? Or do awesome pics seem to require a rimless tank, as top-down seems to give the best illumination?

Reef of Fillory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't pay someone, but that's only because my tank's not cool enough [yet] to demand the cost/time necessary to have it done.

My build is kind of mangled together, and isn't clean or slick or anything. Also, my fish and corals aren't high end or anything, so they'd just look like any image of the fish/corals you can find on Google [but the pics from Google would be better than the look of my corals!].

tautog83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
no, i wouldnt pay but if I did pay ,I would want them to take pics o f the corals under the light people actually see my tank in . i know thats difficult when you're trying to "sell" your product or highlight it(pun intended) . some of these guys take pictures and it looks like its under a black light . i think theres a big difference in taking an actual good photo and making a photo really good if that makes sense . I still loved battlecorals when they did the old schoiol 6,8, and 10 coral pack pics because they were true to what it was going to look like when i put it in my tank . That 's what always sold me personally. I dont want to see what my corals looks like the 2 min before my light completley shuts off during ramp down. As far as the actual quality of the image , they're amazing and its not something most people could ever achieve with a cell phone .

stephj03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I was about to sell several frags from an ultra exclusive SPS or zoa collection yes depending on price.

From what I've seen, top dollar usually goes to sellers that have high quality macro shots displaying the full color potential of a strain.

I think it's actually been a really wise thing for Shane Backer to leverage pro photos as an example.

dbowman5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
without getting into everyone's comments, i barely have a desire to have professional pictures taken of my family; which i will probably feel regret about in 50 years. My build thread documents what i have adequately. Before i had professional work done i would want the tank professionally detailed, primped, and combed. Then the professional photog might have something beautiful and memorable to record for posterity. There used to be Glamour Shots. or something, where the subject had a complete makeover and wardrobe as part of the shoot. Is that available for salt water hobbyists? My tank is just gorgeous, to me; if i looked at high quality pictures of it objectively, i might be sad.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back