Wounds on Wrasse... Uronema?

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
22-2.jpg 11-2.jpg

Had a Timor Wrasse that cleared QT, went into the display and was doing fine for several days, then disappeared in the sand. Hadn't seen him for several days, so I dug him out and found he has two big wounds on his left side, it looks like something took a bite out of his flesh, but I have no fish in the system that would be capable (or showed any temperament towards him period).

My best guess at this point is Uronema, though I don't know how it would have survived QT and two baths before entering the DT

Any Ideas as to what I'm dealing with? ( @Jay Hemdal ) All the other fish in the system look fantastic... Doubt this guys gonna make it :(

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be Uronema, but those lesions are usually more linear. There are some bacterial diseases that grow in circles like that, such as Aeromonas infections. The treatment would be a broad spectrum, gram negative antibiotic such as Neoplex, but the reality is that when a fish develops large lesions like that, the antibiotics typically do not act fast enough. That's a shame, nice fish - I've never had one of those.

Jay

Sam816

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be Uronema, but those lesions are usually more linear. There are some bacterial diseases that grow in circles like that, such as Aeromonas infections. The treatment would be a broad spectrum, gram negative antibiotic such as Neoplex, but the reality is that when a fish develops large lesions like that, the antibiotics typically do not act fast enough. That's a shame, nice fish - I've never had one of those.

Jay
could it be worms in the sand that bit the fish?

OP
OP
polyppal

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay
Yeah, I caught him without much of a fight, so I figured he isn't going to have the strength to fight back from this. Will probably euthanize. Shame, he is a pretty little fish.

Thanks for your advice!

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
could it be worms in the sand that bit the fish?
I’ve never seen that, wrasse must have some mechanism to avoid sand dwelling predators since that’s where they sleep.
Jay

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 53 85.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.8%
Back