Wrangy's Reef - 80g of Wrasse & SPS

buddy.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Loving your tank as always @Wrangy ! It is looking a lot more filled out since the last time I saw it.
Really nice selection of fish too.

OP
OP
Wrangy

Wrangy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After seeing your peppers I thought about trying to grow some. I told the wife I wanted to try and she said they will just die, lol. I think she's right, so I never went forward with growing any.:(
Haha you should try one anyway! I'm sure you'd be able to get any number of varieties for less than $10 and on the bright side, they're SO much easier than acro's hahaha

Wow looks really nice,I also have a weakness for angles and butterflies. I need to say no though. will give the sps a good try. good luck following
Thanks Mark! I appreciate the kind words :) I can't not have some angels and butterflies! I just love them so much and I don't mind sacrificing PE while there's not many acro's in the tank :) SPS are super rewarding to grow so I wish you the best of luck with them!!

Loving your tank as always @Wrangy ! It is looking a lot more filled out since the last time I saw it.
Really nice selection of fish too.
Thanks man :) It's come a loooonnnngggg way in two years with all the ups and downs it's had! I'm finally actually really happy with it lol need to get a few more expensive wrasse though :p

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tried to grow vegetables a couple times over the years and I think the mistake I make is trying to make them organic. We would use no pesticides and here in Florida bugs would just eat everything.

OP
OP
Wrangy

Wrangy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tried to grow vegetables a couple times over the years and I think the mistake I make is trying to make them organic. We would use no pesticides and here in Florida bugs would just eat everything.
I use what's practical lol so it's organic soil as it comes with certified quality so I know it's good and exactly as advertised (and the plants like it), I don't use organic pesticides as I just want once and done. Tried doing neem oil and soap but was too much work so I use premade pesticide that works amazingly and the fertilisers I use, I'm certain isn't organic as it's cheap and very effective. Organic isn't worth the effort in my opinion, make zero different at the end of the day and I can maintain my plants to a far better standard without it :)

OP
OP
Wrangy

Wrangy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The efforts we go to for our tanks!
20180617_180154.jpg

(at least I got him on the first go haha)

OP
OP
Wrangy

Wrangy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why and what are you getting out?
Well, I've been meaning to get him out for ages now as he ate my strombus snails (conch) and eats so many snails as well but it was the red striped wrasse. The main reason he was caught yesterday is because I went down the best LFS (my fav lfs lol) in the world and there was some amazing little strombs I picked up! Which he wasn't going to be eating lol

And I got another fish, the coolest and cutest little highfin blenny! (Sabretooth blenny I think, I still need to identify him) and the wrasse was a liiittttllleee too interested in him so all battle stations were manned!

He's no in sump jail with my maroons until I decide what to do with him lol

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dom, do you have any before and after pics of using the additives you suggested? Do they really make a noticeable difference? I have been dosing fuel and acropower but I haven't really noticed much of a difference, lol.

OP
OP
Wrangy

Wrangy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dom, do you have any before and after pics of using the additives you suggested? Do they really make a noticeable difference? I have been dosing fuel and acropower but I haven't really noticed much of a difference, lol.
I'll have to dig into the archives and see what there is haha I haven't really been doing before and afters much due to the ups and downs this tank has gone through, I haven't really felt confident in the lasting of acro's because of it. Now the tank is pumping it's a different story though. I can say it's the best growth I've ever had and we're getting close to the best colours I've ever had (full zeovit was my pinnacle lol) but I think that'll be surpassed soon using the juice. Some of my favourites from the zeo days lol

I used acropower for quite some time ages ago and didn't really feel it did much. I do believe aminos and vitamins to be of great benefit to acros though and always see drastic improvements on sps once they get access to these things. I would happily recommend the entire range of CE products lol the juice really is expensive and without having seen the effects in person it can be really hard to justify lol so that being said try playing with the other things and see how you find them :) the current range I'm dosing (and other sps heads I know here in Aus) is as follows:
- Boron
- Bromide
- Trace A, B, & C
- Vitamins (Gro)
- Aminos
- The juice: Chroma+, Vibrance+ and Energy+
- KI3 which is basically Lugols iodine

And I have to say that it does have a very noticeable effect. Given how nice your acro's are the effect might not be as apparent or immediate but I think there will be subtle changes that'll be really nice. One thing I can say is, even with a butterfly and a pygmy angel that enjoys nipping the acro polyps they still grow really well and in between the branches where neither can reach the PE is impressive! So the colonies aren't even bothered by the nipping lol

I hope that doesn't all come across as preachy lol or like I'm trying to do the hard sell but I really do believe in these products and the company behind them :)

OP
OP
Wrangy

Wrangy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contemplating a lighting upgrade to a ReefBrite MH hybrid unit with two 250W Radiums but not entirely sure yet! I just desperately want to tighten up my lighting setup and have it looking nicer too!

OP
OP
Wrangy

Wrangy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well in a very minor update, we'll soon have a wrasse dominated tank again haha after some really painful and stupid losses I've told my LFS what he needs to get me haha I've got "orders" in for another pintail, magma (or flame) and a diamondtail :D that should give the tank a much needed colour boost and it'll be a wrasse tank again haha

Joshky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That SSC in your zeo pictures reminds me so much of my SSC (color anyways), once upon a time I mean. :oops:

Last edited:

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you weren't asking me but when I dose acropower after not dosing it for a while (I dose on and off but when I do I dose every other day half a cap in a 90g DT) I get a small boost in dKH consumption the first week or so. Sometimes the first day I dose there is a big spike in dKH consumption over run rate like .2 dKH. I have an alk monitor so I can track these things which is pretty cool. Could be a coincidence but it's happened on several occasions.

Basically I see my dKH very gradually rising day by day and then I'll start dosing acropower again and it will resume normal consumption or higher than before. I usually stop after a while due to laziness or an increase in film on the glass. Then some time goes by and the process repeats itself.

Soon I may reduce my dose and put it on a dosing pump but haven't gotten around to it. The idea would be to balance the growth while reducing any extra film.

Just FYI my tank is understocked currently IMO so not sure it would have much impact otherwise. That's really the only reason I have been dosing it.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%
Back