20190702_112418.jpg

20190702_112412.jpg

SneakyTortuga

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with bubba. If your going to do halids why not just do some led bars for pop. Maybe go 2 smaller halids and 2 led light bars?

I don’t have too much experience with halids. I’ve done plenty of hybrid set ups but all have been led/t5 hybrids. Hybrid in my option is definitely the way to go

YHSublime

Reefopotamus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not just add some led bars if you are wanting more color “pop”?

I'm with Bubba on this one. And it can be done a lot cheaper than the plan above!

Now if you're concerned that you don't currently have enough light, then that's a different story.

OP
OP
Wrangy

Wrangy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with bubba. If your going to do halids why not just do some led bars for pop. Maybe go 2 smaller halids and 2 led light bars?

I don’t have too much experience with halids. I’ve done plenty of hybrid set ups but all have been led/t5 hybrids. Hybrid in my option is definitely the way to go

I'm with Bubba on this one. And it can be done a lot cheaper than the plan above!

Now if you're concerned that you don't currently have enough light, then that's a different story.
I suppose my major issue with making the decision is how polarised the hobby is about lighting. We all know that hybrid units are equally as good regardless of the light sources in them. Halides are amazing for sps and I really would love to try a 6500K bulb at some stage but the heat output and lack of fun they have in comparison with leds is somewhat disappointing haha.

I really want to run leds again but I also feel I haven't truly given the halides long enough to see what they can really do! The other thing is the current setup for lights I have is a bit ugly haha and is also only a 2ft unit and not a 3ft unit that would be far more appropriate. The other thing is I will continue to change my mind and create new plans a thousand times over until I actually make the decision hahaha

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suppose my major issue with making the decision is how polarised the hobby is about lighting. We all know that hybrid units are equally as good regardless of the light sources in them. Halides are amazing for sps and I really would love to try a 6500K bulb at some stage but the heat output and lack of fun they have in comparison with leds is somewhat disappointing haha.

I really want to run leds again but I also feel I haven't truly given the halides long enough to see what they can really do! The other thing is the current setup for lights I have is a bit ugly haha and is also only a 2ft unit and not a 3ft unit that would be far more appropriate. The other thing is I will continue to change my mind and create new plans a thousand times over until I actually make the decision hahaha

Just make another thread about the lighting and let us know the outcome... Hahahaha
So you want to get LED, but they are expensive and you want halides but they are dull and are not looking sleeky enough too hot.
Just get T5's with some LED bars for the pop.

Perry

Follow me on IG- perrys_reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Dom,
Oh the choices man! If it were me, I would seriously consider making an aluminum frame, or mounting LED bars to the sides of the halide fixture. I have been following SB Reefbar and the new Orphek ones, they are like 24" minimum, hence the idea for a frame, built to the specs of your tank width and length, and choose bars on either side that length, something that you could put on cables or rails mounted behind the tank, allowing you to play around getting perfect height. Point being, that seems quite expensive to use radions as supplements, and quite frankly, we all know they have the power stand alone to produce results, so I would either choose several radions with diffusion attachments, or halide with led blue reef bars accenting the halide. The thing that I love about halides is getting intense lighting, but not needing it for more than 6 hours. I would use the LED bars to ramp dawn to dusk and peak hours let that 400 watter do it's trick. Very easy, no fancy programming, lol :) BTW, I use 250watt halide se radium, supplemented with Kessil a360we blue only peak 80%, nice shimmer, perfect light blend, and of course that intense halide spread not easily duplicated with led stand alone, in terms of shading. Even the caves light up under halides, needless to say the under side of sps bases and branches :)
Cheers!

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I say 1.

I've grown under every light source, including PC Lighting when I was 12.. Nothing touches what a Radion can do, not even other LEDs. Color development in corals under Radion is a head above everything else, there is truly no comparison. The T5 would help fill in any missing gaps in lighting (not spectrum, but physical areas that need more lighting).

But frankly, you could also get by with 6 XR15's spaced out a little wider and no supplemental lighting.

#2 is the worst design of all!

There's a reason all the best shops, wholesalers, and vendors in the world use Radion -- and no, it's not because they get freebies, or because it saves energy. It's because it's the best, hands down.

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#1 or #6
Actually, just #6
For your tank that would be the best.
Less spillage, the radions will give enough pop and the T5's will get you all the par you need.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 34.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 25.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 15.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back