OP
Wrangy

Wrangy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a kind of general update post on the tank and how things are since we've moved and my setup has changed so drastically :)
  • One thing I always wanted to use was filter socks and now with the Waterbox, I have the dual sock setup (mesh first and felt second) they make life and maintenance a lot easier! Yes they're a pain in the butt to clean but not really. They just make keeping things clean so much simpler, I can stir up detritus, scrub the **** out of the tank and I know that the socks will take out all the gunk and it won't go and hide and build up in a dark corner of the sump or tank anymore! 100% convinced over to socks nowadays.

• The UV has been an absolute godsend! I can't believe how quickly it made a difference and the thing I really can't believe is just how crystal clear the water is. I've always run carbon in tanks but this is some next level clarity and for the foreseeable future I plan on keeping it running at the bacteria killing flow rate. I am fairly surprised just how much it changed things.

• Water mixing station and RO machine, for the longest time (5-6+ years) I bought barrelled water and lugged it around and holy **** does having your own setup and mixing station make a difference!!! Having 100L of RO and ASW on hand is amazing and I can do a 70L water change in absolutely no time at all and have more water ready and made in a day or two. I do wish I could take advantage of the waste water for my plants but it's simply just not possible in our house at this stage.

• Waterbox tanks are just gorgeous! While the water level does sit maybe a touch high for my liking it's such a gorgeous look and everything so well built, I'd recommend them to anyone!

• While times have been rough with the bacteria bloom and losing some fish which always kills me, things are on the up and the tank is starting to head in a direction that I'm really happy with and in a place where I'm happy to add corals and hopefully soon, more fish! :D
Anyway that's some of my thoughts and feelings at the moment :)

YHSublime

Reefopotamus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m still trying to figure out waste water, unfortunately our washing machine is a front loader, and we already have rain barrels in the back yard that are full.

great to hear about the UV, I’ve never used one, as I always attempt to keep my systems as minimal as possible, but you have convincing arguments!

Glad you’re happy with it, I’m going to reference back to this post when things are down and out, and remind you how good it is

OP
OP
Wrangy

Wrangy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m still trying to figure out waste water, unfortunately our washing machine is a front loader, and we already have rain barrels in the back yard that are full.

great to hear about the UV, I’ve never used one, as I always attempt to keep my systems as minimal as possible, but you have convincing arguments!

Glad you’re happy with it, I’m going to reference back to this post when things are down and out, and remind you how good it is
Our machine is a front loader too, so we're in the same boat. I just feel so bad about it but there's just nothing practical we can do with it at this time :/

I was always very hesitant about running a UV and didn't think it was anything special but after having to install one to treat the bloom, I'm actually really surprised at how much clarity it's added to the tank! I'm still not 100% sure if I'll keep it for the long term but at this stage I'm really happy with the results from it and it's not hurting anything so I'll keep it going for now :) Once the tank starts to get more heavily stocked with more sensitive fish I may change the flow to parasite/disease removal but we'll see what happens :) The glass stays clear for so long too which is amazing haha

Please do :) I really need it sometimes haha

OP
OP
Wrangy

Wrangy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I BOUGHT SOME GOODIES FOR THE TANK!!!!!!!!! Got some really groovy chonky boi turban snails and another half a dozen small turbos for tank as I really enjoy having a healthy snail population as I don't keep algae eater fish haha

Three nice zoa frags, blue hornets, rasta's and something else I haven't ID'd yet!

One of the nicest elegance's I've seen in ages, yes you read that right.. I've committed a sin and bought an actual LPS for the tank :p But I simply couldn't resist the pink tips on this guy :D (pic from when it just arrived at the LFS)
elegance.jpg

And for the pièce de résistance, a fish off the fish list!!! :D :D Dave had the perfect sized, forcipiger flavissimus, the longnose butterflyfish!! Not the fanciest fish on the list but one I've wanted for a very long time :D

Big tank day today haha I'm so happy finally being able to add things to the tank again!!

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I BOUGHT SOME GOODIES FOR THE TANK!!!!!!!!! Got some really groovy chonky boi turban snails and another half a dozen small turbos for tank as I really enjoy having a healthy snail population as I don't keep algae eater fish haha

Three nice zoa frags, blue hornets, rasta's and something else I haven't ID'd yet!

One of the nicest elegance's I've seen in ages, yes you read that right.. I've committed a sin and bought an actual LPS for the tank :p But I simply couldn't resist the pink tips on this guy :D (pic from when it just arrived at the LFS)
elegance.jpg

And for the pièce de résistance, a fish off the fish list!!! :D :D Dave had the perfect sized, forcipiger flavissimus, the longnose butterflyfish!! Not the fanciest fish on the list but one I've wanted for a very long time :D

Big tank day today haha I'm so happy finally being able to add things to the tank again!!
I love that elegance. I have a soft spot for them too and will probably always try to find a lower flow area in my tank for one. I'll be curious to see how that butterflyfish does with your coral! Very nice pickups!

myzislow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have the space you can plumb your waste water line outside somehow and have a reservoir in place for watering your plants/lawn etc. I used to fill my washing machine until one time I let it run too long and the extreme weight of the water ruined the machine. Wife wasn't too happy lol

OP
OP
Wrangy

Wrangy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That pink tip Elegance is sweet! Nice score :)
Definitely a good score! LFS had some of the nicest elegance's I've seen in a while and even I couldn't pass up on that pink tip! haha

I love that elegance. I have a soft spot for them too and will probably always try to find a lower flow area in my tank for one. I'll be curious to see how that butterflyfish does with your coral! Very nice pickups!
It's even better than the pic haha I'll try and get a nice photo of it open and happy! I have no idea where I'm going to put it yet though haha
The easiest way I find to deal with butterflies is I keep corals according to the fish so I don't run into trouble. That means no acans or meaty corals like that. Sps, zoa's and shrooms have always been good choices (touch wood haha) and they're the corals I like the most so it actually works out really well for me haha

If you have the space you can plumb your waste water line outside somehow and have a reservoir in place for watering your plants/lawn etc. I used to fill my washing machine until one time I let it run too long and the extreme weight of the water ruined the machine. Wife wasn't too happy lol
Unfortunately we live in a subdivision of townhouses and the water is in the garage on the bottom floor with no way to get it to useful locations without lots of holes or meters and meters of tubing through the house haha bit of a whoops on ruining the washing machine though :p

That elegance is beautiful! nice find. Tanks coming along well and you're starting to win the algae battle I see. UV's for the win!

Speaking of, I'm past due on replacing my bulb
Yep, things are finally travelling on the road and I'm happy haha algae is not even a worry at this stage haha I'm really sold on the UV's given how well this has worked and just how clear things are looking!!

pcon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's also been a slight change in fish plans too, I'm going to hopefully be getting a nice trio of genicanthus watanabei angels in the next couple of weeks :)
Nice choice! The watanabei is probably my favorite of the obtainable genicanthus. All females or are you getting a male in the trio?

OP
OP
Wrangy

Wrangy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice choice! The watanabei is probably my favorite of the obtainable genicanthus. All females or are you getting a male in the trio?
They'd be close to my favourite as well, I adore g. bellus too but the males are ugly haha A male and two females would be great but I'd happily take three females. They're a Cairns Marine collection fish so hopefully a male and two females is doable and smallish too would be great haha

pcon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They'd be close to my favourite as well, I adore g. bellus too but the males are ugly haha A male and two females would be great but I'd happily take three females. They're a Cairns Marine collection fish so hopefully a male and two females is doable and smallish too would be great haha
I agree about the bellus males. I like the bellus females and the watanabei males though the watanabei females have a pretty subtle blue to them.

OP
OP
Wrangy

Wrangy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree about the bellus males. I like the bellus females and the watanabei males though the watanabei females have a pretty subtle blue to them.
That's one thing I really like about the watanabei's is this really nice subtle blue/silver they have to them! It's just so nice!

OP
OP
Wrangy

Wrangy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your fish are going to nip the heck out of that elegance. Every reef safe with caution fish I’ve ever tried has erred on the side of “I’m here for the buffet”.
We'll see how it goes haha so fingers crossed but (touch wood) I've been pretty lucky so far with my not safe fish haha

Back