Wrasse and Clown Sick

EchoTheOrca20

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a clownfish who's losing color and a wrasse that I haven't been able to see very often because he would dive in sand and hide. My clownfish looks like he's losing color but I don't know what he has. Unfortunately it looks too late for my yellow wrasse because he laying on the the sand, is pale and his fins are little torn from when he was bagged. I have a separate tank but it doesn't have a sump and uses a canister filter. Will it be okay if I transfer them to the other tank use copper to dose? I only have 3 fish in my tank and was also wondering if should put the other fish in their to get treated in case it has something.

15941740569915400701943427586399.jpg 15941741136287733683995525658366.jpg

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is the tank?
How long have you had the clown and wrasse? Were they shipped to you or did you pick them up at LFS?

Any other symptoms? Breathing hard, fast, shallow?
Hard to tell from the pictures of the wrasse, but is the area behind the gills red?

OP
OP
E

EchoTheOrca20

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is the tank?
How long have you had the clown and wrasse? Were they shipped to you or did you pick them up at LFS?

Any other symptoms? Breathing hard, fast, shallow?
Hard to tell from the pictures of the wrasse, but is the area behind the gills red?
They were shipped but looked fine in bags. The tank is already 1 week and 3 days old and I use Dr.tim one and only to help cycle it. The gills are red for wrasse. The clown is breathing fast. They were in tank for 2 days before they got like this

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like ammonia problems. The redness of the gills is a classic symptom, as is the color loss. Need to do water changes to move out the ammonia. Giving the fish a bath in methylene blue or adding it to the tank will help the fish breathe better. You need to move quickly. The fish need to be able to transpire O2.

OP
OP
E

EchoTheOrca20

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like ammonia problems. The redness of the gills is a classic symptom, as is the color loss. Need to do water changes to move out the ammonia. Giving the fish a bath in methylene blue or adding it to the tank will help the fish breathe better. You need to move quickly. The fish need to be able to transpire O2.
Thank you so much but unfortunately they didn't make it I wanted to say thanks for your help anyways

SifuMemphis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you mentioned your tank was only 1 week old yes? It doesn't sound fully cycled yet, and the tank was not ready for fish. Cycling normally takes 4-6 weeks. Once your tank tests 0 for Ammonia, and Nitrite, you're ready for fish.

What are your parameters reading now?

OP
OP
E

EchoTheOrca20

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you mentioned your tank was only 1 week old yes? It doesn't sound fully cycled yet, and the tank was not ready for fish. Cycling normally takes 4-6 weeks. Once your tank tests 0 for Ammonia, and Nitrite, you're ready for fish.

What are your parameters reading now?
0.25ppm I was told that it should take a week by the pet store thanks.

SifuMemphis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, LFS don't always follow best practices. If you're reading 0.25ppm ammonia, it means your tank is still cycling in the early stages. Let me cycle for another 3-4 weeks and once you have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, test nitrate, do a water change, then you'll be all set.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 102 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back