Wrasse breathing fast

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here is a video. It didn’t eat yesterday and stayed hidden all day. I dosed the display with prazi pro and will redose in 6 days. I admit I made a mistake and did not Qt the fairy wrasse and butterfly fish to prevent stress and I read copper and wrasse is not good. Now reading it seems they tolerate copper. Should I catch my three fish and put in copper QT? Only the wrasse is breathing fast.

Last edited:

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a site thing - try linking it as a YouTube video.
How long has the fish been in the tank for? How long since the most recent addition? How old is the tank?

OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It’s a site thing - try linking it as a YouTube video.
How long has the fish been in the tank for? How long since the most recent addition? How old is the tank?
I’m working on upload YouTube now.
fish has been in tank 5 days.
I added butterfly fish and wrasse 5 days ago. Prior to that only a fire fish I’ve had for 3 years was in there from old tank. The tank is 6 months old.
When I first put wrasse in the tank he was going to the top a lot like he needed oxygen. That went away and he seemed normal for several days. Then I noticed rapid breathing yesterday. Today was worse and he hid all day and didn’t eat today. I dosed prazi pro today incase it was flukes. What else should I do ? Copper doesn’t seem appropriate as it doesn’t seem to be ich. Only thing I can think of is metro ?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Here is a video. It didn’t eat yesterday and stayed hidden all day. I dosed the display with prazi pro and will redose in 6 days. I admit I made a mistake and did not Qt the fairy wrasse and butterfly fish to prevent stress and I read copper and wrasse is not good. Now reading it seems they tolerate copper. Should I catch my three fish and put in copper QT? Only the wrasse is breathing fast.
While the breathing is not heavily labored note a couple of things. . . .
Prazi pro which is praziquantel reduces both oxygen and appetite. Increase oxygen using an airstone
Your regimen. . . dose at recommended which is a treatment for 8 day interval, change water and dose at one more eight day interval.
As for copper, I am not receptive to mixing with copper and copper you want to use is coppersafe or copperPower which are milder at therapuetic level 2.25 - 2.5 monitored with a reliable copper test kit such as Hanna brand. Treat for a FULL 30 day cycle.

OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
While the breathing is not heavily labored note a couple of things. . . .
Prazi pro which is praziquantel reduces both oxygen and appetite. Increase oxygen using an airstone
Your regimen. . . dose at recommended which is a treatment for 8 day interval, change water and dose at one more eight day interval.
As for copper, I am not receptive to mixing with copper and copper you want to use is coppersafe or copperPower which are milder at therapuetic level 2.25 - 2.5 monitored with a reliable copper test kit such as Hanna brand. Treat for a FULL 30 day cycle.
We’re you able to see the videos ? I did add an air stone and placed powerhead toward surface. I was going to do water change and redose prazi in 6 days (5-7 days is what I read).
should I catch the fish and place in copper ? I have copperpower and reliable test Hannah. I just read wrasse and copper is not ideal. Isn’t the copper for ich ? This doesn’t seem like ich.

OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here is today him hiding and not eating.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
We’re you able to see the videos ? I did add an air stone and placed powerhead toward surface. I was going to do water change and redose prazi in 6 days (5-7 days is what I read).
should I catch the fish and place in copper ? I have copperpower and reliable test Hannah. I just read wrasse and copper is not ideal. Isn’t the copper for ich ? This doesn’t seem like ich.
Assuming you are quaranting, you can switch to copper. If in display, I refrain from copper until I have noticed parasites, but you can if desired. Watching on a small screen, I did not notice air stone but good. Be careful what you read and you will read 10 different versions.
Industry safe standard is 8 days, water change and eight more days

OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
He
Assuming you are quaranting, you can switch to copper. If in display, I refrain from copper until I have noticed parasites, but you can if desired. Watching on a small screen, I did not notice air stone but good. Be careful what you read and you will read 10 different versions.
He is in display and I’m trying to figure out if I should do anything next like remove him and treat in a QT. I uploaded better videos on YouTube. I will take your suggestion and do day 8.

OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello I just want to clarify. Since I don’t see any spots or anything other than breathing fast and not eating for a day copper doesn’t make sense correct as it only treats ich and velvet. That means I’m left with prazi and metro. I dosed prazi and will follow the directions after day 8 water change and dose again. How do I know if I need to treat with metro ?

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What you could do is a fresh water dip just for a few minutes. Could relieve some of the fishes discomfort and help you diagnose flukes if you see them come free in the water. . Would also give you a minute for you to inspect the fish closer up for any possible signs of disease. Downside to this would be a bit stressful but if your worried I think the benefits outweigh that

Also I think you may have better success with prazi in a controlled qt system imo. Doesn't sound like copper is needed unless you spot actual parasites tho.

OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What you could do is a fresh water dip just for a few minutes. Could relieve some of the fishes discomfort and help you diagnose flukes if you see them come free in the water. . Would also give you a minute for you to inspect the fish closer up for any possible signs of disease. Downside to this would be a bit stressful but if your worried I think the benefits outweigh that
If I can catch him I would but it makes me wonder how much a dip is worth it if I already treated for flukes. Seems like it will harm more than good ? If he doesn’t come out today I think I’ll try and catch him to do a dip / place in QT and run copper/ metro / prazi.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I can catch him I would but it makes me wonder how much a dip is worth it if I already treated for flukes. Seems like it will harm more than good ? If he doesn’t come out today I think I’ll try and catch him to do a dip / place in QT and run copper/ metro / prazi.
If it's flukes and you dip it should buy him time so maybe you can figure out the exact cause or confirm that it's indeed flukes. Then decide on further treatment. Idk how well the fish would react to all those meds at once (if that's your plan) anyone can feel free to correct me but I was under the assumption prazi may be less effective in dt, I may be mistaken here.. it may be difficult to get the right water volume for dosing or something. Can anyone clarify for the op tho?

Edit: I found a thread where a fish medic suggested using prazi in the main tank so I believe I'm mistaken on that and your treatment should be fine. Is this fish acting any different today?

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If it's flukes and you dip it should buy him time so maybe you can figure out the exact cause or confirm that it's indeed flukes. Then decide on further treatment. Idk how well the fish would react to all those meds at once (if that's your plan) anyone can feel free to correct me but I was under the assumption prazi may be less effective in dt, I may be mistaken here.. it may be difficult to get the right water volume for dosing or something. Can anyone clarify for the op tho?

Edit: I found a thread where a fish medic suggested using prazi in the main tank so I believe I'm mistaken on that and your treatment should be fine. Is this fish acting any different today?
I was going to span the meds out over the full QT. I will update later today when I wake up on how he’s doing. If he is doing better I will leave it. If no improvements I will figure out what the next step may be which I’m leaning towards putting into a qt to better observe and dose accordingly like you mentioned.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to span the meds out over the full QT. I will update later today when I wake up on how he’s doing. If he is doing better I will leave it. If no improvements I will figure out what the next step may be which I’m leaning towards putting into a qt to better observe and dose accordingly like you mentioned.

Just seeing this. Rapid breathing is of course a general symptom. As such, there are a number of possible causes. Linking it to a second symptom is typically required in order to make a diagnosis. In this case however, there doesn't seem to be a second symptom. Here are the causes of rapid breathing in roughly descending order of frequency:

Water quality issues (affects all fish)
Velvet/Amyloodinium (rapid death, soon affects all fish)
Flukes (slow onset, often only some fish affected)
Bacterial gill disease
Secondary to coccidia infection (no treatment)
Viruses?

So - you were correct in adding aeration and dosing with prazi.

Prazi doesn't give immediate improvement - it takes a day or so for the fish to recover from the fluke damage.

If the fish is still alive this morning, let us know and we can try to figure out next steps.....

Jay

OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just seeing this. Rapid breathing is of course a general symptom. As such, there are a number of possible causes. Linking it to a second symptom is typically required in order to make a diagnosis. In this case however, there doesn't seem to be a second symptom. Here are the causes of rapid breathing in roughly descending order of frequency:

Bacterial gill disease
Viruses?

Prazi doesn't give immediate improvement - it takes a day or so for the fish to recover from the fluke damage.

If the fish is still alive this morning, let us know and we can try to figure out next steps.....

Jay
Thanks so much Jay. A lot of what I’ve done is from reading your posts for hours haha. I will let you know how today looks for the fish. Specifically if he’s hiding / eating. Thanks

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing to note about velvet is that the spots generally don’t appear until much later in the disease cycle, often when it’s too late.
Have you noticed the fish swimming into the flow at all?

OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Bacterial gill disease
Viruses?

Jay
Here is a video of fish now. Looks worse..

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 37 34.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 29 27.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%

Back