OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
One thing to note about velvet is that the spots generally don’t appear until much later in the disease cycle, often when it’s too late.
Have you noticed the fish swimming into the flow at all?
I haven’t noticed that but I got much better pics now. He appears worse. Check the new video.

Attachments

• 7C4F0F53-3436-4B24-B88B-4B9D79498113.jpeg
    7C4F0F53-3436-4B24-B88B-4B9D79498113.jpeg
    156 KB · Views: 68
OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just seeing this. Rapid breathing is of course a general symptom. As such, there are a number of possible causes. Linking it to a second symptom is typically required in order to make a diagnosis. In this case however, there doesn't seem to be a second symptom. Here are the causes of rapid breathing in roughly descending order of frequency:

Water quality issues (affects all fish)
Velvet/Amyloodinium (rapid death, soon affects all fish)
Flukes (slow onset, often only some fish affected)
Bacterial gill disease
Secondary to coccidia infection (no treatment)
Viruses?

So - you were correct in adding aeration and dosing with prazi.

Prazi doesn't give immediate improvement - it takes a day or so for the fish to recover from the fluke damage.

If the fish is still alive this morning, let us know and we can try to figure out next steps.....

Jay

OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
He almost got sucked up into my powerhead.. can’t really swim around.

OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@Jay Hemdal
Can this be linked to the neurological wrasse disease?
This sucks idk what to do. I can catch him now that’s he’s so weak. I have a qt setup right now with 2.5 copper and one dose of metro. I can bring that copper down. Issue is the qt is at 1.021 and the fish is in 1.025.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal
Can this be linked to the neurological wrasse disease?
I am not the op just thinking out loud. But do you think it's possibly velvet or does the fishes behavior lead you to believe it's something else? Would water parameters be helpful or are we beyond that at this point? Ok that's all from me just interested in trying to help

OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am not the op just thinking out loud. But do you think it's possibly velvet or does the fishes behavior lead you to believe it's something else? Would water parameters be helpful or are we beyond that at this point? Ok that's all from me just interested in trying to help
Nawh I appreciate your help. I can check ammonia. It’s a 6 month old tank with a ton of live rock. Only 3 fish. I keep my parameters pristine for corrals. Ammonia didn’t even strike me as the tank is 6 months old and I just now added two fish. One is a butterfly that’s doing great. If it’s velvet **** I need to know asap before I go to sleep after working. So I can Qt everything.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nawh I appreciate your help. I can check ammonia. It’s a 6 month old tank with a ton of live rock. Only 3 fish. I keep my parameters pristine for corrals. Ammonia didn’t even strike me as the tank is 6 months old and I just now added two fish. One is a butterfly that’s doing great. If it’s velvet **** I need to know asap before I go to sleep after working. So I can Qt everything.
Other fish are ok? Sorry if I repeat questions running on a lack of sleep. But IM NOT SAYING YOU SHOULD DO THIS if it were me and I got to a point where I thought the fish was gonna die I would probably place him in qt with therapeutic levels of copper+ prazipro and maybe even mix metroplex in his food.

I know it seems crazy and I'm not saying your there yet or even ever will be there but I've lost fish in similar fashion before and to me it would be worth a shot. I'm sure that's some of the worst advice ever brought up on this forum tho so please always take the advice of the experts over my own silly ideas. I'm sure your aware of the risks with doing something like that..

Really want to emphasize one last time this isn't direct advice I am only sharing what I would do in desperation. I'm sure Jay will get back to you with far better ideas

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Other fish are ok? Sorry if I repeat questions running on a lack of sleep. But IM NOT SAYING YOU SHOULD DO THIS if it were me and I got to a point where I thought the fish was gonna die I would probably place him in qt with therapeutic levels of copper+ prazipro and maybe even mix metroplex in his food.

I know it seems crazy and I'm not saying your there yet or even ever will be there but I've lost fish in similar fashion before and to me it would be worth a shot. I'm sure that's some of the worst advice ever brought up on this forum tho so please always take the advice of the experts over my own silly ideas. I'm sure your aware of the risks with doing something like that..

Really want to emphasize one last time this isn't direct advice I am only sharing what I would do in desperation. I'm sure Jay will get back to you with far better ideas
I’m prepping water right now to throw him in Qt unless Jay suggests otherwise. Going to lower the copper from 2.5 to 1.5 In the QT. Unsure what to do next. I have a butterfly fish and fire fish in the same tank right now. Do I need to Qt those is the question. I’ll wait for Jay to chime in. Going to head to sleep for a few hours.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will want copper at 2.5 or else it is not going to do anything (cupramine at 0.5). Whether or not the other fish are affected depends on what is wrong with the wrasse. Be prepared to qt everything though.

OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You will want copper at 2.5 or else it is not going to do anything (cupramine at 0.5). Whether or not the other fish are affected depends on what is wrong with the wrasse. Be prepared to qt everything though.
I already have my Qt at 2.5. Is it okay to throw wrasse in 2.5 now or do I need to start at 1.5 and work up slowly to 2.5. That’s what I thought I had to do.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha
Bit of a catch 22 here. You don’t want to risk shocking the fish in this state, but it may not have enough time to ramp up copper.
If it were me I’d do the ramp up, but fast.

OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
2.5ppm is fine for flasher wrasses. No need to ramp up with copper power or coppersafe.
You sure? It’s a fairy wrasse btw. I’m setting it up now to throw him in Qt. Any input on what this might be ? Should I fresh water dip before the copper.

OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Gotcha
Bit of a catch 22 here. You don’t want to risk shocking the fish in this state, but it may not have enough time to ramp up copper.
If it were me I’d do the ramp up, but fast.
I’m going to lower it to at least 2.0. Gotta acclimate the fish too. It’s in 1.025 and the qt is 1.021.

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need to acclimate if going into lower salinity water, only need to acclimate if putting fish into higher salinity than it was in.

if qt is lower salinity than the DT, then you can just drop them in. provided temp is the same.

OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No need to acclimate if going into lower salinity water, only need to acclimate if putting fish into higher salinity than it was in.

if qt is lower salinity than the DT, then you can just drop them in. provided temp is the same.
I’m setting it up. I just realized I put my salt reader in the qt tank now it’s “dirty”. Can I use vinegar on Hannah salt reader ?

OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Update: I have him in QT now. Copper is at 1.27. What do I do next ? Thank you everyone. He looks rough.

OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just did a 5 minute fresh water dip. I can’t tell does this look like flukes?

Attachments

• 6CADDF4E-6D60-42ED-852B-731F3EC99297.jpeg
    6CADDF4E-6D60-42ED-852B-731F3EC99297.jpeg
    89.9 KB · Views: 64

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back