OP
OP
Wrasse-cal

Wrasse-cal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is nuts. You need to evict Murphy from your residence!

I know! I feel like this tank is a bit cursed.

PLUS, this morning, according to my apex, the past 12 hours my calcium reactor pH has been rising and falling at a different rate. The high and low values are the same, but the slope of the curve is now, all of a sudden, more shallow. What the heck?!

nickkohrn

Corals for President 2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sorry that you’ve been dealing with all of these issues. I’m hoping that it turns a corner for you soon. It’s heartbreaking to see all of your time and hard work spent on frustrating situations like these.

OP
OP
Wrasse-cal

Wrasse-cal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any updates to share?

Well, it wouldn't be my tank if something didn't break. The control module for my Varios-6 started working defectively--specifically it would not ramp the flow more than 80%--and a replacement is being sent.

I did figure out the issue with my calcium reactor. I was doing some maintenance and closed the valve that returns my algae reactor flow (and CA rector effluent) to my tank. What happened was I forgot to reopen it, which caused the change in pH rate in the reactor.

The tank though is doing well, I think. Parameters are pretty stable. I actually ordered the Alkatronic--which should arrive next week.

My chromis are spawning regularly, which is neat. They actually spawned on my scrapper!

IMG_1187.jpg

My clams are doing well with new shell growth:

IMG_1189.jpg

I've got corraline algae growing:

IMG_1190.jpg

And my SPS testers, for the moment, are looking pretty good.

IMG_1191.jpg

IMG_1192.jpg

OP
OP
Wrasse-cal

Wrasse-cal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, at the moment I hate my tank. My KH has been swinging more than it should and (I think) the direct consequence of this is SPS death. All my beautiful frags are dead or dying. I sent off a Triton test as well to see if there is something else lurking.

I suspect the cause of the KH swings has to do with the way my CA reactor is plumbed. I have the reactor feed and return plumbed off of a manifold from my ARID algae reactor. I suspect that as the algae in the ARID reactor grows, the growth changes the flow through the reactor, which changes the effluent drip rate. I can't confirm this because the way drip counter fills with water, but it would seem to be logical.

I've decided to abandon the ARID manifold and, in the spirit of what I am now calling "the money pit tank," throw more money at it to hopefully fix the problem.

1. I ordered the alkatronic to monitor and control KH.
2. I am abandoning the ARID manifold and will be feeding the CA reactor with a peristaltic pump.

Tom Stevens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I won an alkatronic in a raffle and I love it! Best toy ever. Connectivity is kinda quirky, other than that it works great. It has really helped adjust the dosing. I can’t wait for the dosatronic. I am hooked!

Tom Stevens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How often do you have to adjust your dosing?

I have been lowering my dose amount the last couple of days. It looks like my tank turned a corner and is using less Alk. Since I started the tank I have been amazed how much Alk it used. Now it is slowly adjusting to expectations. I think it was because I started with dry rock. I suspect I will reach a point where I will not need to adjust so often. The Alkatronic is testing every 4 hours. I will lengthen the time once the tank stabilized. Anyway, I am a gadget geek and the Alkatronic is right up my ally. The ultimate gadget!

nickkohrn

Corals for President 2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s good to hear that it’s starting to level out for you. What do you think that using dry rock had to do with it? I’m curious because I am starting with dry rock as well.

I know the feeling with regard to electronics; I’m a software developer, and I have the urge to automate everything.

Tom Stevens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s good to hear that it’s starting to level out for you. What do you think that using dry rock had to do with it? I’m curious because I am starting with dry rock as well.

I know the feeling with regard to electronics; I’m a software developer, and I have the urge to automate everything.

Moving conversation to your thread [emoji4]

ludnix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Wrasse-cal, thanks for showing me your tank! You've had an incredible amount of coraline growth since your last photos and the corals and anemones look fantastic. This thread needs an update on your great progress!

I wanted to ask you if your dosing any trace elements currently?

OP
OP
Wrasse-cal

Wrasse-cal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Wrasse-cal, thanks for showing me your tank! You've had an incredible amount of coraline growth since your last photos and the corals and anemones look fantastic. This thread needs an update on your great progress!

I wanted to ask you if your dosing any trace elements currently?

Thanks, Ludnix, and thanks for bringing over the PAR meter. I wish I wrote down the results! I want to say all of the on rock readings in the mid-high 200s with the sand in the mid 100s? Do you remember?

I'm really overdue on a tank thread update. I'm dosing Manganese, Iron, Iodine and Zinc on a daily basis based on Trition ICP testing results and recommendations. I'm also dosing Magnesium daily since I took my Calcium reactor offline temporarily to see if kalk would raise my pH significantly. (It did.) I'm going to do another ICP test in a couple of weeks to make sure the dosing is on track.

My kalk demand shockingly is already getting close to my daily evaporation amount, so I'm suspecting in the next couple of weeks I'm going to have to restart the CA reactor. That's pretty amazing in my opinion since the tank is just frags, a few clams and loads of corraline algae. Raising my pH from about 8.0-8.1 to 8.3-8.4 has made a huge difference on KH demand--so much so that I'm frequently checking my sump for evidence of precipitation. (I haven't seen any.)

I'll try to update the thread when I have some free time (and fill everybody in on my amazing breeding fighting conchs!)

ludnix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's right, you were up at 275 on the top of the rocks and and mid 200s in most of the other sps mounting locations. I'm going to test my tank today, I'm interested to see how it compares with the the wide spread of the orphek to the COB leds of the hydras. I imagine your getting a better t5 like experience than me! I am predicting some serious hot spots right under the middle with and significant drop off as I approach the edges the tank.

I think people would love to see the fighting conch collection!

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:
OP
OP
Wrasse-cal

Wrasse-cal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just found this thread, Sorry to hear about your frustrations, any updates?

YES!

Things are going swimmingly.

I'm planning on doing a major update soon. But the high points:

1. No more dinos;
2. SPS is growing;
3. Stable alkalinity thanks to my Alkatronic;
4. I've been dosing kalkwasser, and between that and my CO2 scrubber, my my pH is between 8.3 and 8.45
5. It wouldn't be the money pit without new equipment. (I'll update soon with more)

EdLau

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about all those frustrations, just read through your whole thread. How did you deal with the long scratch, any possible fixes?

Back