OP
OP
Wrasse-cal

Wrasse-cal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks nice! The large piece on the right looks like a sharp drop off that might make coral placement a little tough depending on what you put there. It helps me to think about what will go where while aquascaping. You could do a capricornis coming off the face of that big piece. Can’t wait to see the finished setup!

Thanks!

A monti cap or two off that sharp edge was exactly what I was planning on placing there.

OP
OP
Wrasse-cal

Wrasse-cal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATES:

First (very stupid) setback: In attempting a fishless cycle, I accidentally overdosed ammonia--likely, if I were to guess, to around 66 PPM. I was wondering for the last three weeks why my ammonia readings were still all solidly over 2 PPM. I looked back at my notes, and see I dosed 5 ml (!) ammonia. I have no idea why I thought that was the proper amount.

Given my rocks are in a 30 gallon trashcan, and the can was only about half full with rocks and water, I'd guess I dosed 5 ml ammonia to 20 gallons/75 L water.

I added more saltwater to drop ammonia to below 2 PPM, then I added a new bottle of Dr. Tim's. I'm assuming no actual harm done, other than annoying delay?

Parts/equipment for the tank are still trickling in. I'm still waiting on my algae reactor and secondary chamber for my CA reactor to ship. It will likely will be a couple of weeks left before those arrive.

I'm also waiting on some plumbing from BRS that should get here tomorrow. Other than that, things are slowly coming together!

OP
OP
Wrasse-cal

Wrasse-cal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Equipment coming in...

IMG_0338.jpg

Lifereef SVS2-24 with Sicce Syncra Pro 1500

IMG_0343.jpg

Geo CR618 Calcium Reactor with Carbon Doser. Per @geo, the secondary chamber (SMC415) is due to be shipped next week!

IMG_0345.jpg

Custom Random Flow Generators from Vivid Creative Aquatics.

IMG_0344.jpg

@Vivid Creative Aquatics did a spectacular job fabricating adapters so the 3/4 inch random flow generators would fit the Waterbox nonstandard locline. Thanks, @Waterbox Aquariums for the extra pieces of locline!

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Equipment coming in...

IMG_0338.jpg

Lifereef SVS2-24 with Sicce Syncra Pro 1500

IMG_0343.jpg

Geo CR618 Calcium Reactor with Carbon Doser. Per @geo, the secondary chamber (SMC415) is due to be shipped next week!

IMG_0345.jpg

Custom Random Flow Generators from Vivid Creative Aquatics.

IMG_0344.jpg

@Vivid Creative Aquatics did a spectacular job fabricating adapters so the 3/4 inch random flow generators would fit the Waterbox nonstandard locline. Thanks, @Waterbox Aquariums for the extra pieces of locline!

We had a great time creating that 22mm to 3/4in adapter for you - and it fit perfectly. Thanks for including us in your build.

20180109_115938.jpg

OP
OP
Wrasse-cal

Wrasse-cal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm attempting something slightly unconventional and will be using a dedicated pump on a simple manifold to feed my CA reactor and algae reactor. My intention is to put the manifold pump in the skimmer chamber (because it fits there) and have the output from the reactors also feed into the same chamber.

After seeing @Caravanshaka 's build thread, I am now thinking about using the ATO reservoir as a refugium as he does. I'm however planning on using it as a place for pods and other critters to breed, grow safely.

38028947165_e716992fa2_c.jpg

Caravanshaka's sump

I'm concerned though about what will happen to the water level in my return pump chamber if I plumb the refugium off of the pump in the skimmer chamber. Caravanshaka plumbed his off of his return pump. If I run the refugium off of the dedicated manifold, I'm going to get water from the skimmer chamber bypassing the baffles to the return as water will overflow from the old ATO chamber into both the skimmer and return chambers.

I'm worried this will raise the level of water in my return chamber such that the water level in my return chamber won't vary anymore based on system volume. The upshot being that I worry that if I plumb the refugium this way, I won't be able to place my ATO sensor in the return pump chamber anymore.

IMG_0361.png

Does that concern seem valid?

Caravanshaka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see any issue with what you are planning. the low-point of the water level when the return pump is on is still going to be in the return chamber. Think of the tall wall between the ATO and the return section as just another really tall baffle, allowing water into that chamber. As water evaporates, the return section is still going to be the section of the sump that drops in water level since the water in the skimmer section and ATO section are baffled to stay that same height regardless of water level.

OP
OP
Wrasse-cal

Wrasse-cal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see any issue with what you are planning. the low-point of the water level when the return pump is on is still going to be in the return chamber. Think of the tall wall between the ATO and the return section as just another really tall baffle, allowing water into that chamber. As water evaporates, the return section is still going to be the section of the sump that drops in water level since the water in the skimmer section and ATO section are baffled to stay that same height regardless of water level.

Thanks. I appreciate the response.

LadyMac

Freshwater sage fish whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dream of a waterbox system. Following your build! What do you think of thebsetup this far? How’s the quality?

OP
OP
Wrasse-cal

Wrasse-cal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dream of a waterbox system. Following your build! What do you think of thebsetup this far? How’s the quality?

Given that my tank is still dry, I'm reserving final opinions--but so far, I'm very happy with my choice. The tank is beautiful and the general finishing on the stand is really quite nice. The magnetic closures on the stand though could be a bit better designed if I had to identify one shortcoming.

In the spirit of full disclosure, there have admittedly been some hiccups, but I'll chalk those problems up to Waterbox being a new company and still ironing out quality control kinks. That being said, @Waterbox Aquariums has been really amazingly responsive, easy to deal with and completely invested in fixing any problems as they have emerged. For example, I had some issues with my stand. The panel had a chip on one panel out of the box. Waterbox immediately sent a replacement part. I was missing a leveling foot. Waterbox sent a replacement the same day.

I've also had more than my fair share of questions, both pre-order and post-order, and Waterbox answered all of them quickly. I think they are very interested in providing a quality product with quality support.

LadyMac

Freshwater sage fish whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds amazing! Definitely sounds like a company I would like to give my money to. I really enjoy the style and price point. Thank you so much for the honest opinion :)

Caravanshaka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds amazing! Definitely sounds like a company I would like to give my money to. I really enjoy the style and price point. Thank you so much for the honest opinion :)

I've had a similar experience with them. A few issues, but very responsive. I've got a review on my thread as well.

OP
OP
Wrasse-cal

Wrasse-cal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cycle update @ 1 week:
  • Ammonia: 1.2
  • Nitrite: 0.2
  • Nitrate: 2
This is going slowly. Ammonia level has not yet changed since I started the cycle and added Dr. Tim's.

OP
OP
Wrasse-cal

Wrasse-cal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cycle update @ 2 week:
  • Ammonia: 1.2
  • Nitrite: 0.2-0.5 (estimated to be ~0.3)
  • Nitrate: 2
I'm a bit perplexed by this cycle. Does something seem amiss? I would have thought by now I would see at least some measurable drop in ammonia levels. Perhaps somewhat reassuringly, there was a small rise in nitrites from week 1, so I know something is going on.

I also tested phosphate, just to see what was leaching from the Pukani, and got a result of .5 PPM.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience, that does not seem unusual. In fact I would bet you see an ammonia drop by week three.

OP
OP
Wrasse-cal

Wrasse-cal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cycle update @ 3 week:
  • Ammonia: 0
  • Nitrite: >1
  • Nitrate: ~30
I dosed 10 drops of ammonia. @NY_Caveman, you were right!

I contacted Dr. Tim's Aquatics last week to confirm that the slower than expected cycle was normal. They advised that because I had no substrate, the lower amount of surface area present was causing the cycle to be slower. Interestingly though, in addition to my pukani rock, I also have a gallon of marinepure media in the cycling container--so I'm a bit skeptical that the lower amount of surface area was the cause. On the other hand, I decided to add a bag of live sand (contained in a mesh bag). The next day my cycle seems to have jump-started. Maybe this is a coincidence.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL. Nice. Just glad your cycle is progressing.

Not sure I agree either with their substrate / surface area claim. I note have never used Dr. Tim’s.

Zotch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Wrasse..

Would you happen to know the inside dimensions on the sump side of the waterbox 100 cabinet?

Thanks

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 143 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back