OP
OP
Wrasse-cal

Wrasse-cal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I'm been neglecting updating this thread, the tank has been chugging along going through some of the new tank uglies. I'm currently experiencing what I think is a bacteria bloom.

IMG_0550.jpg
IMG_0552.jpg

I suspect the bloom was caused by all of the algae in my reactor dying. I went away for a weekend and when I came back, there was just brown goo where there used to be chaeto.

It's been about two weeks though since the bloom started, and my nitrates are basically zero. I'm not sure how long the bloom is supposed to last until it dissipates.

OP
OP
Wrasse-cal

Wrasse-cal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could use some advice #reefsquad. I'm not sure whether to feed, dose nitrates or do neither. Here's why:

I've been battling what I think is a bacteria bloom. My understanding is that water changes are not effective, because the heterotrophic bacteria that make up the bloom reproduce too quickly. My understanding is that the best thing to do here is either remove the nutrient source or wait for the nutrients that fueled the bloom to be used up, then the bloom will go away. The problem is, my nitrates are undetectable, and the bloom hasn't gone away.

On the flip side, I started my ARID algae reactor and don't want my chaeto to die. My nitrates are undetectable, so to get the algae reactor going, I'd be inclined to dose nitrates or feed the tank (I'm also trying to encourage pods to grow). This seems counter to the protocol for dealing with the bloom.

I'm surprised that the bloom is still going on after two weeks, considering the low/no nitrate readings.

Any suggestions on what to do?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My thoughts are to run GAC. Doesn't look like you are set up for filter socks.

I would also check for a carbon source such as vaping, burning candles, air fresheners, or something else that puts a scent into the air.

I also wouldn't even try to run an algae reactor until you get more of a bio load. It does take more than just nitrates to get algae to grow. It can be the limiting piece so we often discuss NO3 like it is the end all/be all for algae growth but it is oversimplified.

OP
OP
Wrasse-cal

Wrasse-cal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My thoughts are to run GAC. Doesn't look like you are set up for filter socks.

I would also check for a carbon source such as vaping, burning candles, air fresheners, or something else that puts a scent into the air.

I also wouldn't even try to run an algae reactor until you get more of a bio load. It does take more than just nitrates to get algae to grow. It can be the limiting piece so we often discuss NO3 like it is the end all/be all for algae growth but it is oversimplified.

Thanks. I should have added that I have been running GAC. I've got filter cups.

https://www.marinedepot.com/Filter_...Rimer_Machine_Shop_LLC-6V99900-FIFMME-vi.html

Filter-Media-Cup-4-inch-Coral-Red-98.jpg

OP
OP
Wrasse-cal

Wrasse-cal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

I've got some tester frags in the tank. They've been in the tank about two weeks now. From my inexperienced eye, there are some mixed results. Some frags are not looking super happy, though it's hard for me to tell what's normal adjustment. Polyp extension looks pretty good to me, but I'm not expert. Below are some iPhone pictures:

IMG_0629.jpg

IMG_0631.jpg

Temp: 79
Salinity: 35
Alk: 8.1
CA: 400
MG: 1300
Nitrates: 0
Phosphates: 0 (I've got some algae issues that I think are consuming free nitrates/phosphates?)

I've been feeding with rotifeast, oysterfeast and reef roids. Tank is fallow so no fish poop for anyone to eat.

OP
OP
Wrasse-cal

Wrasse-cal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm curious, what should I make of the Montipora digitata on the far left of the picture above? It's got good polyp extension, but its definitely bleached.

OP
OP
Wrasse-cal

Wrasse-cal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Wrasse-cal, how’s the tank doing? New livestock hanging in there?

Not great. I've been swamped at work, so the tank has been neglected. After growing noticeably for a month, most of the tester frags are not doing hot, and I'm battling what I think is Lyngbya and/or Calothrix algae.

OP
OP
Wrasse-cal

Wrasse-cal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys, I'm frustrated.

My rocks are covered in this algae that looks to me like Lyngbya and/or Calothrix algae.

Phosphates and nitrates are undetectable. The algae does not scrape off easily from the rocks, but it does scrape off. That being said, if I blow it aggressively with a turkey baster, I'll get chunks and fragments in the water column. When I do scrape, the rocks look slightly better, but

I've got a macroalgae reactor going 12 hours/day on a reverse cycle. I'm running carbon. I've got no fish in the tank. Clean up crew doesn't seem to be making a dent.

I'm not sure what to do.

IMG_0704.jpg

OP
OP
Wrasse-cal

Wrasse-cal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like something similar to what I have had before. Try adding nutrients (nitrate and phosphate), as that really helped me out.

3-5ppm nitrates
0.02-0.05 phosphate is the goal

Hmm. I’ll try that. Would you add food to raise nitrates and phosphate or dose? I have the ability to do either. How long did it take after raising nitrates and phosphate to notice an improvement?

I’m also considering adding to my clean up crew. I have the 75 gallon package from reefcleaners. I expect there has been some losses over time, but the crew still seems to be active. What do you think about that?

Caravanshaka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm. I’ll try that. Would you add food to raise nitrates and phosphate or dose? I have the ability to do either. How long did it take after raising nitrates and phosphate to notice an improvement?

I’m also considering adding to my clean up crew. I have the 75 gallon package from reefcleaners. I expect there has been some losses over time, but the crew still seems to be active. What do you think about that?

If you add to the clean up crew, I would add a couple large snails. Astrea or turbo types...they are much more efficient cleaners now that you have the small stuff covered.

I want to say it took a week or 2 to see the changes after adding nutrients. I was, and still am dosing about 2ppm of Nitrate a day, and about .2ppm of phosphate a day using potassium nitrate and mono potassium phosphate. At the same time, I did increase my feeding, so I guess I would suggest doing both ;)

keep an eye on the nutrients...it seems like it soaks them up for a few days, then it spikes before stabilizing...just be careful around that spike to make sure you don't go too high.

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not add your cleanup crew? Urchins, emerald crabs, trochus, and turbo snails might eat it. I bet a rabbitfish would too.

OP
OP
Wrasse-cal

Wrasse-cal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My algae battles continue. Nitrates vary between 2-5 ppm. Phosphates are low, but I have a hard time reading the Salifert test. My best guess is .03 ppm.

I'm not sure anymore what types of algae I have. Any thoughts, anyone?

IMG_0945.jpg
IMG_0944.jpg

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My algae battles continue. Nitrates vary between 2-5 ppm. Phosphates are low, but I have a hard time reading the Salifert test. My best guess is .03 ppm.

I'm not sure anymore what types of algae I have. Any thoughts, anyone?

IMG_0945.jpg
IMG_0944.jpg

Ugh. That is rough. Did the CUC additions have any effect? Seems like you added a good amount of critter help.

OP
OP
Wrasse-cal

Wrasse-cal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh. That is rough. Did the CUC additions have any effect? Seems like you added a good amount of critter help.

The urchins are starting to make a slight dent. Nothing else has been at all effective.

On the plus side, my chromis are spawning, so at least some things are heading in the right direction.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back