Wrasse dying in qt

Durangoreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a malanarus wrasse that has been in qt for 3 weeks. This is day 12 of therapeutic copper levels. Was eating and swimming fine yesterday. He is in with a fairy wrasse that seems fine. No signs of anything physically on him.

ammonium 0
Ph 8.2
Salinity 1.21

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a malanarus wrasse that has been in qt for 3 weeks. This is day 12 of therapeutic copper levels. Was eating and swimming fine yesterday. He is in with a fairy wrasse that seems fine. No signs of anything physically on him.

ammonium 0
Ph 8.2
Salinity 1.21
why do you think fish is dying? more info needed

OP
OP
Durangoreef

Durangoreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Laying on and off his side and not swimming. Still breathing but not doing good.

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any sand in there for it? Melanurus wrasse sleep and hide in sand. Without access to sand (even a small Tupperware with enough sand to completely hide the fish), it’s going to be super stressed.

pseudorand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrasse also often don't do well in copper and the advice is to slowly up the dosage to therapeutic.

I lost two in QT, which I attribute to too much copper too fast, but one never really knows. Like you, mine seemed to do fine for over a week and then went south quickly.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some wrasses don't do well in copper. I'd pull him out of the copper or abort the copper treatment all together if the fish is lethargic already. Hopefully it will pull through.

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had this happen to me (no copper) and I had no idea why. I put him in a fresh tank (doing TTM) and he came back and is fine. Good luck.

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did he need copper? Lol
Qt dosent mean treat with copper or prazipro or this or that. It mean hold for observstion to make sure eating and healthy and than to the display.

Hospital tanks are treated with copper.
D

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ammonium 0
Ph 8.2
Salinity 1.21
Which copper product are you using and what are you testing with? Can you post a video so I can see it’s respiration rate?
Jay

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 146 60.6%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 66 27.4%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 85 35.3%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.8%
  • Other

Votes: 66 27.4%

Back