Wrasse dying...

Leslie Tabor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

@melypr1985
This is how I found my katoi wrasse this morning. Has been in my tank for a week, doing great. Eating, active...now this. :( I am at a loss. I apologize for the video and sound, I am not very good at this.
@Humblefish if you have any thoughts. I feel horrible...everyone else is doing so well.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of lid do you have on the tank? Canopy? It looks like he may have injured himself. I'd like to call in the wrasse guys on this one.. @evolved @eatbreakfast

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the plastic mesh from bulk reef...i have read they can do that. Maybe into the glass?

Maybe or another fish being aggressive with him. What else do you have in the tank with him? Looks like a busy tank. (beautiful by the way)

OP
OP
Leslie Tabor

Leslie Tabor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I am struggling with that at the moment. I have a tomini tang and a pair of lyre tail anthias that can be pushy but he seemed to be settled in, he was always fine when I was home. He had his little sleeping spot. I imagine it only takes one time if they scared him. He was fine yesterday...and curled up in his mucous cocoon last night. I found him like this, this morning before the lights came on.

ws6kid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had this happen with a Rhomboid while in QT. No visible injury, just dead floating around about 3 hours after I left for work. Ate lots that morning. The can clearly do some serious damage to themselves running into the glass and rock.

greenhorn reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that (wrasse in particular) can suffer from temperature shock and survive only to die later. It may not be anything that happened in your care but something that was inevitably fatal, that occurred during transport.

OP
OP
Leslie Tabor

Leslie Tabor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, he is still alive. Humblefish shared a thread on euthanasia...anyone have any miracle stories of one of these guys knocking themselves silly and recovering?? I don't know how much longer I should/want to wait but I hate to lose such a handsome fish...:( I even used the nylon mesh tops just to be safe. So depressing.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, he is still alive. Humblefish shared a thread on euthanasia...anyone have any miracle stories of one of these guys knocking themselves silly and recovering?? I don't know how much longer I should/want to wait but I hate to lose such a handsome fish...:( I even used the nylon mesh tops just to be safe. So depressing.

If you can get him to eat, you might try feeding kanaplex + focus in the food. If that doesn't work, you might try putting him into the QT with kanaplex or Furan 2 if you can find it. The hope is that the injury heals and the antibiotics staves off infection. it's a slim chance... I don't want to get your hopes up too much.

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can get him to eat, you might try feeding kanaplex + focus in the food. If that doesn't work, you might try putting him into the QT with kanaplex or Furan 2 if you can find it. The hope is that the injury heals and the antibiotics staves off infection. it's a slim chance... I don't want to get your hopes up too much.

I tried that combo, kanplex and furan2, and found that Nh3 went up by quite a bit but ammonia stayed in the safe range. Any comment/confirmation on that and any thoughts on how to improve it?

greenhorn reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't like to euthanize. Painful or slow, I let them pass on their own. He still has life though, so maybe you'll have the miracle story to share.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried that combo, kanplex and furan2, and found that Nh3 went up by quite a bit but ammonia stayed in the safe range. Any comment/confirmation on that and any thoughts on how to improve it?

Water changes and a good bio filter on the QT. If you have sponge or filter floss or something of that nature in your sump, you could cut a piece off and put it in the filter for the QT. That should help quite a bit.

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water changes and a good bio filter on the QT. If you have sponge or filter floss or something of that nature in your sump, you could cut a piece off and put it in the filter for the QT. That should help quite a bit.

Nh3 went up to almost 1ppm. Its an established DT that I dosed. Is that too high?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nh3 went up to almost 1ppm. Its an established DT that I dosed. Is that too high?

Well, I wouldn't have put either in a display at all. They are not reef safe medications. You likely experienced die-off in the tank that resulted in the ammonia spike. Any ammonia is too high.

OP
OP
Leslie Tabor

Leslie Tabor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is trying really hard, so I will keep trying. He is at least alert tonight. This morning he just flopped around like he was in the video. He is sitting up, watching things-his eyes are actually tracking movement. He is a tough little guy, I will try anything. I appreciate your help so much!

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I wouldn't have put either in a display at all. They are not reef safe medications. You likely experienced die-off in the tank that resulted in the ammonia spike. Any ammonia is too high.

I have no corals in the tank and it was just pretty much a live rock only tank. Lol. I don't have any ammonia but have 1ppm of nitrate.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 38.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 28.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back