Wrasse Experts! Inconsistent Colors on Flasher Wrasses + Recommendations?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So by this you mean they basically will stay the muted color going forward but that the color you do see will be on their fins when they flash then, right?

I'm trying to figure out, then, for other species what their "standard" colors are as opposed to the exceptional specimens / edited pictures that are available online- been quite the challenge for some species!
Yeah, when they flash they colour up drastically. Blue flashers are beautiful but you really need to see them flash to appreciate them.

OP
OP
C

cdw79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are their colors drastically improved with a female? Or will a single male do ok? That's what's keeping me off the Linneatus right now- apparently they fade without a female and/or never become a super male without one?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are their colors drastically improved with a female? Or will a single male do ok? That's what's keeping me off the Linneatus right now- apparently they fade without a female and/or never become a super male without one?
The term “Super male” is tossed around a ton. There’s no definite definition other than “A male with a vibrant colour pattern”, certain wrasses fade much more than others will though. Colours are nicely improved with females however, any female will turn male even with a male being in the tank already. Due to this, it’s much more recommended to have males of different species with eachother. However, when you mix them with eachother you have to make sure they aren’t similar otherwise you may have one stress the other too much. A single male will remain rather dull, fairy wrasses may help to bring flashing out aswell. I know my lot will flash at eachother and assert dominance.

OP
OP
C

cdw79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah ok so like anthias, I'll stick to one then. Now just to choose one, recommendations especially from personal experience welcome!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah ok so like anthias, I'll stick to one then. Now just to choose one, recommendations especially from personal experience welcome!
Personally I’d pick from;
Carpenteri - Carpenters
Mccoskeri - Mccoskers
Filamentosus - Filamented
Cyanea - Blue
Angulatus - Royal

I’d personally go for either a Cyanea or an Angulatus as theyre beautiful when they flash (Especially the Cyanea). Also Angulatus has a different body shape to most Paracheilinus species.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No photoshop here. The trick is to get them to a healthy shape, then get them to flash. All the fish below I got them when they are small juveniles. Mature and turn male in my tank.
CarpenterFlasher2020040903.jpg
EightlineFlasher2019061603.jpg
P attenuatus2020061401.jpg
P attenuatus2020113001.jpg

OP
OP
C

cdw79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No photoshop here. The trick is to get them to a healthy shape, then get them to flash. All the fish below I got them when they are small juveniles. Mature and turn male in my tank.
CarpenterFlasher2020040903.jpg
EightlineFlasher2019061603.jpg
P attenuatus2020061401.jpg
P attenuatus2020113001.jpg

Been a big fan of your posts when I've run into them! Have you had success with giving them a mirror to flash to? I don't have the capacity to add several flasher, unfortunately

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As mentioned most of those pictures are nuptial displays....not every day color. Mine do it under certain lighting conditions when they can see themselves in the back glass. The pictures are also of exceptional specimens. I really like Royal Flashers because they tend to hold their fins more erect all the time than other flashers do. You will have more displaying with multiple male flashers.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As mentioned most of those pictures are nuptial displays....not every day color. Mine do it under certain lighting conditions when they can see themselves in the back glass. The pictures are also of exceptional specimens. I really like Royal Flashers because they tend to hold their fins more erect all the time than other flashers do. You will have more displaying with multiple male flashers.
But we want the best colorful pictures of our fishes, not boring dull colors. In my tank, late afternoon the wrasses flash like crazy. I like to keep them in pair or trio, unlike the recommendation of wrasse experts. In a LARGE tank (320 gallon DT) with pleny of room and other fishes, and PLENTY OF FOOD, aggression is rarely a problem for me

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Colors are drastically improved if the wrasse are stimulated. Having pairs is great, but if not, you can put a larger mirror on the tank. If will get the blood of the males moving. Be careful don't over do, or forget it tape on the tank.
IMO, in the wild there always will be territorial dispute, and incursion. This is what my mirror is, helping with the normal behavior of the fishes in my tank
BTW, my mirror is 24X16 inches

Back