Wrasse has a large brown spot on skin

Tbg299

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've noticed for about a week now that my Melenarus wrasse has had a large dark brown spot on his skin. It does not look like a growth. It doesnt protrude from the surface of the skin; more like a discoloration. It looks to big to be black ich to me and it has not grown at all or spread. Ive been observing him and today he was flashing a lot against the rock and in the sand. I have a rock boring urchin in my tank with with long spines. Could it be a puncture wound from one of the spines?
20220503_164748.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've noticed for about a week now that my Melenarus wrasse has had a large dark brown spot on his skin. It does not look like a growth. It doesnt protrude from the surface of the skin; more like a discoloration. It looks to big to be black ich to me and it has not grown at all or spread. Ive been observing him and today he was flashing a lot against the rock and in the sand. I have a rock boring urchin in my tank with with long spines. Could it be a puncture wound from one of the spines?
20220503_164748.jpg
Is it behind the pectoral fin or does it involve the fin base itself?
How long have you had this fish?
What part of its body was it scratching?

Jay

OP
OP
Tbg299

Tbg299

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it behind the pectoral fin or does it involve the fin base itself?
How long have you had this fish?
What part of its body was it scratching?

Jay
It is behind the pectoral fin. Isolated on the body. Seems to be scratching the side with the spot. Have had him for 9 months

OP
OP
Tbg299

Tbg299

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should also mention that his appetite and activity is normal. He's had lymphocytes flare up several times since I've had him so I don't know if this could be related. I will try to get a better pic tomorrow.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is behind the pectoral fin. Isolated on the body. Seems to be scratching the side with the spot. Have had him for 9 months
Urchin spines usually cause smaller, round punctures. Even if they become infected and grew larger, I would still expect them to be round.

Parasites large enough to cause this, like isopods, would be large enough to see.

I don’t see a clear treatment in this case…..it is probably fungal or bacterial, but those would require a treatment tank.

Jay

OP
OP
Tbg299

Tbg299

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Urchin spines usually cause smaller, round punctures. Even if they become infected and grew larger, I would still expect them to be round.

Parasites large enough to cause this, like isopods, would be large enough to see.

I don’t see a clear treatment in this case…..it is probably fungal or bacterial, but those would require a treatment tank.

Jay
Would standard copper power protocol treat it? When I first got him he was treated @ 2.0 ppm copper and I slowly raised it 0.5 ppm at a time since I know wrasses tend to be sensitive to copper.

OP
OP
Tbg299

Tbg299

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Setting up the QT now and will put him in tomorrow with some sand in a Pyrex bowl I plan on doing a freshwater dip and chemical bath with ruby rally pro as well just to be safe.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would standard copper power protocol treat it? When I first got him he was treated @ 2.0 ppm copper and I slowly raised it 0.5 ppm at a time since I know wrasses tend to be sensitive to copper.
Probably not copper, it does not look like a parasite. A broad spectrum, gram negative antibiotic would be a better guess. However - either need to be done in a treatment tank and that is really hard on a wrasse like this.
Jay

OP
OP
Tbg299

Tbg299

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably not copper, it does not look like a parasite. A broad spectrum, gram negative antibiotic would be a better guess. However - either need to be done in a treatment tank and that is really hard on a wrasse like this.
Jay
In that case I would rather feed some good quality foods with supplements that will help recovery. I have lipo-garlic I have been adding to the mysis shrimp and I ordered some live blackworms.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In that case I would rather feed some good quality foods with supplements that will help recovery. I have lipo-garlic I have been adding to the mysis shrimp and I ordered some live blackworms.
In some cases, the fish can recover from minor bacterial infections by just giving it a good environment. This is especially true if the lesion isn’t growing larger.
Jay

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 125 88.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back