OP
OP
tenurepro

tenurepro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All, fish is still alive, but has been in hiding since fw dip. I check on him today by moving the pvc elbow, and he darted around to corner, then back to pvc elbow.

My cooper levels are now at 0.25 mg/l.
What do you guys think, should I try to go all the way 0.5 mg/l, or have I got the levels to some kind of mini therapeutic dose that should buy me more time to slowly ramp up the dose over a few more days ?

Clownfish2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All, fish is still alive, but has been in hiding since fw dip. I check on him today by moving the pvc elbow, and he darted around to corner, then back to pvc elbow.

What do you guys think, should I try to go all the way 0.5 mg/l, or have I got the levels to some kind of mini therapeutic dose that should buy me more time to slowly ramp up the dose over a few more days ?

0.25 is good. If symptoms don't go away in 10 days, Id strive for 0.35 mg/L unless the wrasse stops eating. If he stops eating, reduce to lower level. I had a canary yellow wrasse I had to do this to one time.

Below is from Seachem Cupramine article:

Cupramine™ eradicates Oodinium and Ich at 0.1–0.2 mg/L, Cryptocaryon at 0.25–0.35 mg/L, Trematodes and other parasites at 0.4–0.5 mg/L. With a 10–14 day exposure at 0.4 mg/L most infestations will be eradicated and secondary bacterial and fungal infections will be controlled.

OP
OP
tenurepro

tenurepro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some positives this morning, wrasse is out swimming normally and ate some mysis. As of this morning, I managed to raise the copper levels to about 0.425, base on both expect concentration based on how much I dose and on testing with seachem kit.

I think I will stop there (instead of going to 0.5 mg/l). One thing that I can’t seem to find is the min therapeutic dose of cupramine specifically for velvet ? I am assuming it will be similar to crypto but let me know if I am wrong - @Humblefish ?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I will stop there (instead of going to 0.5 mg/l). One thing that I can’t seem to find is the min therapeutic dose of cupramine specifically for velvet ? I am assuming it will be similar to crypto but let me know if I am wrong - @Humblefish ?

With Cupramine I wouldn’t go any lower than 0.4 mg/L.

OP
OP
tenurepro

tenurepro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrasse looks visibly better today, no signs of spots or discoloration. His behavior is back to normal (checking out his reflection in the glass), and he ate and darted around the tank to chase mysis this morning. Copper is a tad bigger than 0.4 mg/l. Will aim to maintain this dose for 2 to 3 weeks. Fingers crossed!

9aaebb72d8844e76dcd53aa4e670fcd5.jpg

1a951d8d24972e3566655c6926cb0fd7.jpg

OP
OP
tenurepro

tenurepro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok guys - another update.
Wrasse did well with cooper; he was eating and active; after 16 days in therapeutic levels of cooper, I transferred him into another clean qt tank for observation and for my general cure deworming treatment. New tank was started with fresh unmedicated salt water and a small bag of seachem matrix from my display; testing 0 for both ammonia and nitrites over the past two days.

Yesterday, the fish was fine and swimming around and eating. Today, he is laying upright on the bottom of the tank. He scoots around, but does t want to swim up in the water column... he has ignored food, including his favorite brine shrimp. He looks like he is ‘flashing’ in that his dorsal fin is extended. He is able to move his tail as far as I can tell.

Not sure what to do... no visible signs of injury. I did a large WC and then started API general cure in case there is something internal.

Any thoughts or ideas ? Not consistent with bladder infection, he has no issues with keeping upright.
461dd2e3c5b28f1e9169fbed0b5ff85d.jpg

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The breathing looks more "deep" than rapid to me. Have you already dosed GC? The praziquantel contained therein may be causing lethargy and other side effects.

@evolved @eatbreakfast may have more input

OP
OP
tenurepro

tenurepro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He looked like this before I added general cure; I added general cure to see if it will help but he looks the same 8 hours later... doesn’t look good

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back