Wrasse issues!! Help!!

lilchris_357

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, it's been a long time but here I am again. I have a Lineatus wrasse that had his top lip ripped off. I just caught him and I put him back in qt. He is still eating but I think he's getting weaker. What can use to help him out? I senn on the med listing that Methylene Blue works for cuts and injuries. I have a bottle of the Kordan Methylene Blue. Can some help with the proper dosage? @Humblefish, @Melpyr1984, @ngoodermuth, @eatbreakfast.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you feed it some high quality frozen food mixed with vitamins like Selcon? Is the injury swollen, reddened? Use the Methylene as listed on the bottle. But if possible, I highly recommend the NFG powder listed below.

Malachite Green/Methylene Blue:
Treats ammonia burn, cuts, injuries.

How To Treat - Comes in both liquid and powder form, sometimes mixed in with another medication(s). So, follow the directions on the label. Best used as a 30 minute bath solution, but you also can treat with it in a quarantine tank. Aerate heavily. If you are using it in a bath solution, then it is also a good idea to treat the fish with nitrofurazone (active ingredient found in Furan-2 and Nitrofuracin Green Powder) once he is returned to the quarantine tank. Nitrofurazone is great for treating open wounds or sores.

Pros - Highly effective.

Cons/Side Effects - Depletes oxygen from the water. Malachite Green is considered “harsher” on fish than Methylene Blue.

Labridaedicted

Wrassetastic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As mentioned above, make sure you're feeding him high quality foods and a selcon soak for the food will be a boon.

Keep an eye out for any signs of bacterial infection. Nitrofuracin Green would be my reccomendation just like Big G said. It's something good to have in the medicine cabinet if you don't have it yet.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The MB dip should help some. I haven't had many wrasse survive this even when they continue to eat after. You may want to go ahead and treat wtih antibiotics or at least have them on hand.

OP
OP
lilchris_357

lilchris_357

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The MB dip should help some. I haven't had many wrasse survive this even when they continue to eat after. You may want to go ahead and treat wtih antibiotics or at least have them on hand.
Which antibiotics do you suggest?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 33.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back