Wrasse jumped out of my tank

Cment

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok...so I was cleaning my glass this morning before the lights came on and it must have spooked my yellow belly tamarin. He jumped out of the tank and landed in a small 1 inch space between my sump and stand. I had to drain the entire sump in order to move it enough to get him out. The process took a good 20-30mins. I did periodically turkey-bast him with water. Well he's back in the tank swimming around but not using his tail. He either broke his spine or sprained it. Ive dealt with this before with other wrasses and I know it rarely ends well. He looks pretty beat up obviously and has what looks like snot coming off his body which I think could be his slime coat. He's not eating currently but will add kanaplex to his food to fight off bacterial infections and when I approach the tank he hides. Any thoughts on what I should do? I would have thrown him in my QT but did not want to stress him out more and on top of that currently have 3 new fish in QT which I don't trust to be disease free. I don't want him to suffer so if he has to be euthanized when would be an appropriate time to do so? I absolutely loved this guy and just at a loss about the whole ordeal....

OP
OP
Cment

Cment

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, it does sound like quite the ordeal for the poor guy. I agree with the advice given including the time. Keep an eye on him and do the best you can for him.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, it does sound like quite the ordeal for the poor guy. I agree with the advice given including the time. Keep an eye on him and do the best you can for him.
X3. Good luck!

Does it look like someone tied a fishing weight to his tail?

OP
OP
Cment

Cment

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the quick responses and help guys...unfortunately he did not make it. So sad, this guy was such an awesome fish and will be missed.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss :(

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back