Wrasse lethargic after prazi

Toofattofish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pintail and exquisite wrasse (from 2 different sources) in my qt since a week ago. I treated with one dose prazi last week without issue. They have both been eating well and doing well the entire time. Today I added dose 2 of prazi and within a minute or so I noticed the pintail gasping for air and being lethargic. It's no longer gasping for air but still somewhat lethargic (Not quite at deaths door level of lethargy though) the exquisite has been perfectly fine and is eating. Any idea what happened? My guess is that prazi depleted o2 or possibly some parasites were killed off and started chasing some issues. Hoping I can still salvage situation.
I am running an air stone and pump with decent turnover so o2 in tank shouldn't be an issue.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The worms should have been gone after first dose. 2nd round just cleans up eggs or babies.

Do you have plenty of O2 exchange?

Did you do at least a 25% water change between doses?

OP
OP
T

Toofattofish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The worms should have been gone after first dose. 2nd round just cleans up eggs or babies.

Do you have plenty of O2 exchange?

Did you do at least a 25% water change between doses?
Thanks for the response!
I do have plenty of o2 exchange between bubbler and pump and baffle system with high differences in levels that ensures oxygenation.

I did not do a water change. I wonder if I should do one now, though in hindsight I should've probably done one before.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the response!
I do have plenty of o2 exchange between bubbler and pump and baffle system with high differences in levels that ensures oxygenation.

I did not do a water change.

How long has it been since your second dose? I always do 100% WC between doses, especially with Wrasse as they tend to be sensitive to Praziquantel.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the fish is still lethargic I would go ahead and do a large WC. You could do a third dose in 5-7 days.

KMench

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can also remove prazi after 24 hours with carbon or a water change when treating sensitive fish like wrasses. This still counts as a treatment.

OP
OP
T

Toofattofish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the help. Really appreciated it.
The pintail seemed to be slightly improving on its own and moving around a bit more, but I decided to do a 50 pct WC in two shots. With each addition of half the WC volume I saw a drastic and sudden improvement in its appearance and by the end of it, it was still somewhat skittish but was moving around and back to eating. So looks like it should be ok.

Here are some pics. Water isn't the clearest, hopefully the carbon I just added will help with that too.:)

20180617_204452.jpg

20180617_204029.jpg

Last edited:

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the help. Really appreciated it.
The pintail seemed to be slightly improving on its own and moving around a bit more, but I decided to do a 50 pct WC in two shots. With each addition of half the WC volume I saw a drastic improvement in its appearance and by the end of it, it was still somewhat skittish but was moving around and back to eating. So looks like it should be ok.

Here are some pics.

20180617_204452.jpg

20180617_204029.jpg

Glad they are doing well.

Hey just an observation here, where did you get your pin tail?

It looks like a Carpenter Flasher to me.
@evolved @eatbreakfast @4FordFamily

OP
OP
T

Toofattofish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted the wrong pic by mistake. Still a noob here I guess, this is the pintail.
Other pic is a C rubeus in DT, the others are pintail and exquisite.

20180617_194136.jpg

Last edited:

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those wrasse are quite thin and inside need of sustenance or any treatment won’t help. Have you tried feeding live black worms?

I agree with the other advice given, other than that elephant in the room.

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've noticed an immediate twitching, gasping for air and fish even going on the floor for few minutes right after adding prazi, a few times. I'm not sure if it could be related to flukes/parasites in the gill dying all of a sudden and detaching and possibly either blocking gills or causing some secretions that minimizes oxygen exchange...
worse was an Achilles which twitched like crazy when my wife added prazi and then went on the bottom on its side for around 5 min with episodes of very fast and then very slow to no breathing. she called me in panick asking me to redo the calculation of prazi as she thought I over calculated... fish was back swiming few minutes later and was normal after few hours.
Those fish do look very skinny and need good feeding to put on some weight

OP
OP
T

Toofattofish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appreciate the tips. The wrasse in dt eats random critters (especially baby snails) all day, so I don't think it is undereating. I'll feed the ones in qt more frequently. Hopefully the filter can handle it.

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if fish are eating and not picking up weight that would be an indication of intestinal parasites.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 48.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 8 19.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 12 29.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back