Wrasse Losing Scales

JsReefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone offer any suggestions. I have a blue margin fairy wrasse that looks like he’s losing scales on one side. It started just around his tail. I haven’t tried to treat him as he’s still active and eating aggressively. I went on vacation for a week and when I came back it appears that the same thing is happing on his side towards the center of his body. Could this been an infection of some sort? He is in a 10 gallon QT with two cardinal fish (which are fine). Still eating normal. Any thoughts on what this could be? Thanks for your help.

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would start to treat for infections. The first thing I usually start my wrasses with is metro + focus and GC after that for 14days.

OP
OP
JsReefs

JsReefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cfa030ca8d93500bfbac3abeb6a19f5c.jpg
e5abf9803dca92a2bfc674efc1874823.jpg

OP
OP
JsReefs

JsReefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today he appears to be twitching sporadically and it almost looks like there is a bruise under his skin.

OP
OP
JsReefs

JsReefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So yesterday I ended up moving the wrasse to a different QT that has more water flow as I was told that fairy wrasses like moderately high water flow. So far today he’s looking good. Still eating and is out in front begging for more. His skin evens looks better after the methylene blue dip.

wangspeed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had a few fish like this lately in QT and have never been able to save them. It seems like some uronema/gram negative infection when it happens to my fish. I hope you’re more successful than me!

OP
OP
JsReefs

JsReefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had a few fish like this lately in QT and have never been able to save them. It seems like some uronema/gram negative infection when it happens to my fish. I hope you’re more successful than me!

So far so good. I’m on day three and there’s definitely improvement. I’ve dipped twice in Methylene Blue and have been doing daily water changes to keep the QT water pristine. He looks much better and is swimming all over the tank being the boss. Lol!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 8 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 36.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back