Wrasse qt questions

Francisco Hernandez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, I'm getting a orange back and yellowtail wrasse on Tuesday. I wanted to get some input on putting them in quarantine together? Will that be ok? It's a 20 gallon long.
I was also thinking of doing prozipro first before copper treatment. Is that a good idea?

I have seen some videos where people say GC is better for wrasse then prozipro. If that is the case woulf GC treatment then copper be a good plan? Thanks in advance!

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully someone will chime in about the wrasses being together...or how well they handle copper treatments. I'm definitely not a wrasse expert!

You can do PraziPro first, but the reason for typically doing copper first is due to the disease it takes care of are typically faster killers while the flukes that PraziPro fixes aren't fast killers.

But, the sand burrowing wrasses have been reported to be a bit more resistant to the external parasites. So if your wrasses are this type, then you are probably ok to go with PraziPro first in the absence of any extension parasite signs or symptoms.

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, I'm getting a orange back and yellowtail wrasse on Tuesday. I wanted to get some input on putting them in quarantine together? Will that be ok? It's a 20 gallon long.
I was also thinking of doing prozipro first before copper treatment. Is that a good idea?

I have seen some videos where people say GC is better for wrasse then prozipro. If that is the case woulf GC treatment then copper be a good plan? Thanks in advance!

Do you know the scientific names of the wrasse you are getting? Common names vary so much, I'm not sure what species you are getting.

GC is praziquantel and metronidazole and prazipro is praziquantel and a solvent, so if you mean "better" in that it treats additional problems, then yes. If they mean "better" as in safer for wrasses, then no, that isn't correct.

As @Idoc said, in most cases, it is better to treat for protozoans (copper) before praziquantel, as the protozoans will kill your fish sooner. To treat wrasses with copper, I would suggest you use Coppersafe and a good copper test kit.

Jay

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Francisco Hernandez

Francisco Hernandez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My bad,Yes (Cirrhilabrus aurantidorsalis) orange back fairy and (Paracheilinus flavianalis)yellowfin flasher.
I was asking if it was safer to use GC over Prozi.
As for copper I have a Hanna checker and I have copper power. I can get coppersafe if that is a better recommendation? Thanks for the response!

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GC isn't safer than Prazipro, the metronidazole is a bit more stressful than the praziquantel alone.

Copper Power with a Hanna checker would be fine.

Jay

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Francisco Hernandez

Francisco Hernandez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thanks! Any advise as to me being able to qt both together ? I put there scientific name on my last post.

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, but I’m not knowledgeable on mixing flasher and fairy wrasses, so I have to leave that to others.
Jay

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Francisco Hernandez

Francisco Hernandez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20210204_175410.jpg
can anyone id what the wrasse has?

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry - that can't be identified visually - it could be bacterial or it could be Brooklynella. These have completely different treatments. To tell you to go in one direction would be a guess, and I don't want to do that. Isa the fish currently in a full dose of copper?

Jay

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Francisco Hernandez

Francisco Hernandez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No copper. I did start a new thread and vetteguy53081 said it looked like brook. I did a freshwater dip and 90 min. Of ruby reef, then put him in a new qt. I'm about to go see if he made it.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Francisco Hernandez

Francisco Hernandez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He was alive and had like a slime hanging off of him. He was laying down but after I took a couple pics he swam up to hide behind the pvc. I added a picture of the slime when it fell off after he moved.
20210205_071656.jpg
20210205_071714.jpg
20210205_071809.jpg

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, that looks more like Brook. Pull that slime out of course. You can reverse the process going back to the first tank...trying to “outrun” the Brook.
Jay

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Francisco Hernandez

Francisco Hernandez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took out most of what I could. How long should i keep him there? 3days them move?
Should i do another ruby bath? Freshwater bath? He was trippin out in the freshwater.

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking go with the Ruby Reef. Formalin would be better I think, but FW is pretty much just a stop-gap measure.

Jay

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Francisco Hernandez

Francisco Hernandez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This what he ended up with yesterday. I added metro to see if it helped...before that I tryed to feed him brime and mysis with metro. He didn't eat. He is breathing slow and not moving too much. I thought he was a gonner last night. Today he was the same. I decided to do a safety stop bath since it's formalin and methanol blue. He seems the same after. I put him in the tank turned off lights and let him rest. I'll try feeding him after 4 or 5 hours. Does that still look like brook?
20210205_190207.jpg

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some diseases simply cannot be visually identified, they require microscopic evaluation (a skin scrape under a microscope). I worry about using a shotgun approach to this; metro in the water, metro in the food, FW dip, ruby reef dip and safety stop...this all introduces unknown variables in terms of cross reactions, and additional stress.

I don't know what to tell you. I think this is probably Brook. I would continue with the Ruby Reef dip, and if you can, move the fish to a clean tank after the dip, and then repeat the process.

Jay

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Francisco Hernandez

Francisco Hernandez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, he didn't make it. I did get credit from live aquaria, and I just got another one yesterday. He was eating today.I'm still debating if i should go with coper power or skip copper for now.

Upvote 0

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 140 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back