evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or maybe it's because you have too many wrasses. Need more balance. :p
Need more wrasses you say? I agree; always need more. :)
Thanks for the heads. This information might help others as well when facing such a devastating moments.
That would sure be nice. But I feel the unfortunate message is "sometimes you can't do anything about it". :(
wrasse retreat is one of my favorite tanks on the forum!
Thank you kindly.

fabutahoun

Angels and Acros
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about what happened to your tank. at least the fish are still doing great .

Can you please Update us with the current fish list ?

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes this is the one I was thinking about. found it a few month ago read it now I just fished rereading it.
I did a reclaimed barn wood stand i a few yeas ago for a 75 i really enjoyed it.

would love to see a video of all the wrasses ...hint hint :D

Smin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Evolved!
What a stunning tank!

I'm currently designing a t slot stand and trying to pick connection elements, did you just use gussets alone or are there other connecters we can't see?

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You said photos in a month...that was in 2018. It's 2019 now! :rolleyes: Same old Hunter.
I still haven't edited my Fiji photos... :oops:
You've come to expect this.
Good news though - the tank is actually starting to make me smile again. As soon as I deal with my rising aiptasia issue, I'll have extra motivation to show off again.
Yes he said a month, but he didn't say which month!:rolleyes:
Good thing, right?
We have a running joke in my industry when someone says "it'll be done in XYZ month", the automatic response is "what year?". It's often true.
Hi Evolved!
What a stunning tank!

I'm currently designing a t slot stand and trying to pick connection elements, did you just use gussets alone or are there other connecters we can't see?
Thanks!
No; what you see in the details on page one is all that is there. Nothing is hidden.

Smin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!
No; what you see in the details on page one is all that is there. Nothing is hidden.

Out of interest what made up pick gussets Vs the miriad of other options?

Looking forward to you showing off more of the tank!

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of interest what made up pick gussets Vs the miriad of other options?
Analytically, they provided enough support. You also get lateral/shear stability over countersunk corner anchors or the like.

Smin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Analytically, they provided enough support. You also get lateral/shear stability over countersunk corner anchors or the like.
Thanks, that's really good to know. I mean my tank is only 100 gallons, so about 1/3 of your stand!

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the stand information, too. Almost decided to go the 8020 route with the next tank, now it's to figure out the attach method.

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the stand information, too. Almost decided to go the 8020 route with the next tank, now it's to figure out the attach method.
I would definitely do it again on another tank. It's not the most affordable depending on the amount of bells/whistles you wish to add to it, but you can do some really unique things with it.

Smin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you put any levelling feet on your stand? I'm just wondering how much that would change the loading.

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you put any levelling feet on your stand? I'm just wondering how much that would change the loading.
None. With a modern home on a slab construction, I didn't see much need. I did, however, use some strips of Innovative Marine's tank leveling mat on the bottom rails just to not load a possible high edge of tile on my floor. ;Woot

jschultzbass

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, I realized I in fact never did post the full mystery as to what happened with my tank on this thread. Yes, there was the quick mention on the last page but it certainly left a lot of details to be desired. So, with that said:
Things started to get a bit "funky" last September (2017), about the time I had changed my calcium reactor media. It started with a few montis looking off and then peeling. I figured the media must have some containment in it, and at some point shut down the reactor. Things didn't change. I inspected all my equipment, thinking I'd find a rusted magnet or something electronic cracked. Nope. (I even did this again a couple months later, thinking I must have missed something). Things got worse, and I started losing acros. Then it seemed I got it stabilized with a series of water changes and carbon, but it was simply a temporary pause and then things backslid. LPS started being effected. Alk got real low and the hair algae got real long, and I got real disgusted. Plus, with a huge crunch at work going on at the time, I didn't have the time I needed to give it. Things got worse. So at that point, I had a 270g reef tank with about 10 corals in it. Sigh. I switched my lighting over to T5s, as I had run out of things to point at and I had reasons to suspect lighting. I once went through something similar on my last tank (not as devastating) and it was after the LEDs were about 1.5 years old. That was when I switched to MH and everything made a great recovery. I can say for sure was not a salt/makeup water issue as the frag tank went unaffected the whole time, which also ruled out any indoor pollution element. I did change out all my RODI filters at some point, including the membrane - just in case. It was not a copper issue, as I still have all my motile inverts. Definitely perplexing. If it wasn't for my love of the fish (and they did fine through this), I probably would have just quit.

I finally swallowed my pride and did an ICP test last week: https://www.triton-lab.de/en/showroom/aquarium/auswertung-b/icp-oes/65174/
All-in-all, things look pretty decent - no heavy metals. Which is nice, since I would absolutely no idea where they could be coming from at this point. Yes, my lithium is high, but this is a known issue with those using ESV salt (which I have been for about a year now - it was one change I made when things took a dive). I will start dosing iodine again soon; something I used to do once a week or so.

So I am more convinced than ever that I had a pathological issue (bacterial, viral, protozoa, etc) - something that could not be tested or controlled really. Sucks for sure, but I'm confident things are back on the rise now. New corals are already going in. ;)

Photos in a month or so? I have literally over 1000 Fiji photos to sort through/edit first.
I'm going through exactly this right now....acros are peeling tip first after months of great growth and I can't find anything. Basically did everything you stated. I started a thread on it but things are still in the downswing :(

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back