Wrasse scale infection?

daftwazzock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20200712_120141.jpg

I have noticed the condition of the scales on my fairy wrasse getting worse and worse. You can really see it at the base of it's tail. So far It's still quite active and eating but the skin is not improving.

I'm not sure what could be going on. I had a canary wrasse who quickly perished after showing similar scale damage (like, within a day) and I'm worried for this guy. I'm not sure what could be causing this. I haven't observed any aggression from tank mates, but I do have a six line wrasse and I heard they're known for bullying. Do I need to set up a QT for it or something? I don't have any experience with medicating fish.

Last edited:

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
White-ish areas like that should be viewed with great suspicion. It can be a sign of a bacterial infection. Two ways to deal with this situation. One is to support the fish's immune system as much as possible. Feeding a wide variety of high quality fresh/frozen foods + vitamins, and antibiotics as needed in either a bath or QT.

Mixing 6-8 assorted frozen fish cubes, placing them into the fridge to "slump" and then mixing them. Strain off the excess liquid as it will spike your nitrates and phosphates. Add to the mix vitamins like Selcon, Zoecon, or preferred Beta Glucan (see link below on the benefits of BG) + Focus to bind and a bit of water to get the consistency you like to work with. All the fish in the tank will benefit from this mix.

For antibiotics, can treat in a bath or QT. Here's a thread by Humblefish that lists many available meds and treatment methods.

Best of luck with your beautiful fish; I have its twin in my tank ;)

OP
OP
daftwazzock

daftwazzock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Th
White-ish areas like that should be viewed with great suspicion. It can be a sign of a bacterial infection. Two ways to deal with this situation. One is to support the fish's immune system as much as possible. Feeding a wide variety of high quality fresh/frozen foods + vitamins, and antibiotics as needed in either a bath or QT.

Mixing 6-8 assorted frozen fish cubes, placing them into the fridge to "slump" and then mixing them. Strain off the excess liquid as it will spike your nitrates and phosphates. Add to the mix vitamins like Selcon, Zoecon, or preferred Beta Glucan (see link below on the benefits of BG) + Focus to bind and a bit of water to get the consistency you like to work with. All the fish in the tank will benefit from this mix.

For antibiotics, can treat in a bath or QT. Here's a thread by Humblefish that lists many available meds and treatment methods.

Best of luck with your beautiful fish; I have its twin in my tank ;)

Thanks, I feed frozen but I'll move to make the extra step to fortifiy the food further and try to get some of those antibiotics mentioned in the post.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 44.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back