Wrasse sick, what should I do?

TroyHoot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He started swimming a little funny this morning. This evening I see a speck of white poop coming out. White means parasite right ? He has been in the tank for 3 weeks maybe little longer. Only things I have on hand are paraguard and prazipro. Not sure what my LFS has. Can check tomorrow. We have a petco and petsmart in town also. I can order but figured wouldnt get here in time.

I can set up a 10 gallon QT tank fairly easy. Tonight if needed.

Here is link to a video. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1t6g748s2jXdx5kYE2Wmacop6b8ZRnE3n/view?usp=sharing

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He started swimming a little funny this morning. This evening I see a speck of white poop coming out. White means parasite right ? He has been in the tank for 3 weeks maybe little longer. Only things I have on hand are paraguard and prazipro. Not sure what my LFS has. Can check tomorrow. We have a petco and petsmart in town also. I can order but figured wouldnt get here in time.

I can set up a 10 gallon QT tank fairly easy. Tonight if needed.

Here is link to a video. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1t6g748s2jXdx5kYE2Wmacop6b8ZRnE3n/view?usp=sharing
How many other fish do you have in the system?

The problem is that fish love to eat each others poop. Odds are if one of your fish has an internal parasite, they all do.

I would recommend using focus to bind Metroplex to their food and feed them with the mixture for at least 10 days.

Normally, you would have plenty of time to react to an internal parasite but the funny swimming has me worried.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just watched the video... I would feed metroplex holding food to the entire tank. I would set up the QT for the wrasse and dose metroplex to the water unless he is actively eating. If he is eating you may be able to forgo the QT system.

OP
OP
TroyHoot

TroyHoot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok. Not sure how fast I can get it. My normal feed time in in about 10 minutes. I will feed early and see if he is eating. He was this morning. I feed LRS in morning, mysis and krill in evening.

EDIT: Haven't seen strings, just the litte white sticking out. Might be able to see in video

OP
OP
TroyHoot

TroyHoot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 fire shrimp and a pistol shrimp in the tank. The fire shrimp are voracious eaters. Metroplex kill them ?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
TroyHoot

TroyHoot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read the first thread you posted. Thank you. I will read this one too.

EDIT: I can probably move the Fire shrimp to the sump and feed them separately, but the pistol I cant. Hate to lose him.

Last edited:

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 fire shrimp and a pistol shrimp in the tank. The fire shrimp are voracious eaters. Metroplex kill them ?

I've got some fish in QT that I'm treating for internal parasites, so I'm mixing Focus and General Cure (Metronidazole + Praziquantel) with their food. I'm also feeding the same mix to my display. So far, corals are growing, cleaner shrimp are carrying eggs, feather-duster worms are waving their fluffy crowns in the flow, and even my T. maxima clam seems well pleased with life in general.

I think you'll be OK.

~Bruce

OP
OP
TroyHoot

TroyHoot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank for your experienced info Maritimer ! I read about General cure on the threads Humblefish gave me. So I checked locally.

I went to petsmart and bought the last box of general cure they had.

Set up my 10 gallon with rock from sump and tank water. Hang on side filter for flow and a power head with sponge prefilter. also a heater. The wrasse is asleep somewhere in the rocks or he would be in the QT tank.

Closest place to me that carries focus is 75 miles away. Going to order some and try to put the wrasse in qt and treat the water.

Once I get some focus I will start feeding him and probably the main tank too.

Again Thanks everyone for the fast help tonight.

OP
OP
TroyHoot

TroyHoot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got him in QT after he woke up today. General cure in the tank. Focus and Metroplex will be here tomorrow. Hope he pulls through this.

Can I feed him medication while General Cure is in the QT tank or do I wait the full 48 hours before I feed him Medicated food ?

Hate to lose another wrasse. I lost one when it jumped out of TTM while i was feeding, landed on floor and damaged its spine. Lost another to swim bladder problems. My lubbocks is still looking good though. They were just starting to play nice before the Filament got sick.

OP
OP
TroyHoot

TroyHoot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Filament wrasse is still kicking but still sick. Swimming very poorly, mostly upside down or sideways. Sleeps alot. Not eating very well if at all.

75% water change on the QT with Display water. Started 2nd round of General Cure. Feeding metro/focus mixed with mysis and baby krill to the display and the QT.

He isnt showing any other symptoms. Swims around kinda like a bladder problem but he doesnt have any swelling and isnt floating to the top. Im still thinking internal parasites of some sorts. Havent seen him poop so cant comment on color. Just the white piece the first day I noticed this.

OP
OP
TroyHoot

TroyHoot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 4 in General Cure. Saw his sleeping mucus floating not long after i turned lights on. I found him to try and feed. Still swimming upside down and very erratic. Color still looks good and no bulges. He saw the food but really couldnt swim after it very well. So I put a couple pieces in the corner his was hiding.

Wish he would show signs of getting better. But its not really getting worse either.

OP
OP
TroyHoot

TroyHoot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
day 5 still kicking. Did 75% water change with water from display. Retreated with GC. Came out after i turned lights on to try and feed him. Saw white poop. Stringy but real short and just came out, didnt hang on. Swimming upside down all the time now. Not sure if he ate while he was out or not yet. I think he was trying. But upside down and circling alot. Turned off the power head and left the hang on filter turned on. The powerhead seemed to be too much for him in his current state.

Will be third full day of feeding display with Metro/focus. No ill effects to shrimp or inverts so far.

OP
OP
TroyHoot

TroyHoot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 6, I saw him eat 3-4 pieces of treated food !! I got so excited I yelled at my wife down stairs to tell her. This is the first day i have seen him actually eat the food. He is mostly at top of the water and still upside down. But he is swimming and the color looks good still. I am going to try and feed him a couple more times today. Little portions.

Little improvement I think. Hopefully he keeps eating so I can get this medication to the parasites.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back