Wrasse staying at water surface

GMF21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone- A little help needed.

I recently purchased a pintail wrasse. It is in an observational quarantine tank with 4 other fish. The wrasse was ok for the first day or so, but has spent the past 3 days hovering near the surface. The fish still eats readily, but as soon as it is done eating goes right back to the surface. None of the other fish (Labouti wrasse, Melanurus wrasse, yellow watchman goby, and bangai cardinal) are bothering it. All other fish doing fine.

Below is a link to a short video I poseted on YouTube.

Any help/suggestions greatly appreciated.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the tank getting enough aeration? Check your params. The fish is breathing fast, which would indicate either a gill parasite or a water issue.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi Everyone- A little help needed.

I recently purchased a pintail wrasse. It is in an observational quarantine tank with 4 other fish. The wrasse was ok for the first day or so, but has spent the past 3 days hovering near the surface. The fish still eats readily, but as soon as it is done eating goes right back to the surface. None of the other fish (Labouti wrasse, Melanurus wrasse, yellow watchman goby, and bangai cardinal) are bothering it. All other fish doing fine.

Below is a link to a short video I poseted on YouTube.

Any help/suggestions greatly appreciated.

A couple of reasons they hang the surface is either Aggression , being intimidated by another tankmate OR trouble breathing from gill irritation from Flukes or even velvet, however you would be noticing rapid breathing or loss of appetite
What other tank occupants do you have and have you notice any others hovering around and annoying it ?
Turn whites down just a little which may relax its mood a little

OP
OP
GMF21

GMF21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed the fast breathing as well. Thought it was my imagination. You can see the air bubbles in the background. Can't imagine oxygen levels are the issue.

I have a Salifert amonia alert on the tank, changed 50% of the water yesterday, tank has well established filter media. Salinity and temp are 35 and 76, respectively.

OP
OP
GMF21

GMF21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple of reasons they hang the surface is either Aggression , being intimidated by another tankmate OR trouble breathing from gill irritation from Flukes or even velvet, however you would be noticing rapid breathing or loss of appetite
What other tank occupants do you have and have you notice any others hovering around and annoying it ?
Turn whites down just a little which may relax its mood a little
no signs of aggression. All other tank inhabitants appear normal. No light on tank (only a cover).

If gill iritation, what approach would you suggest?

OP
OP
GMF21

GMF21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you been doing any prophylactic medical treatment? A lot of wrasse especially fairy and flasher respond very negatively to certain medications, but I agree oxygenation is a more likely problem
No meds. Just observational QT.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
no signs of aggression. All other tank inhabitants appear normal. No light on tank (only a cover).

If gill iritation, what approach would you suggest?
You can start with a 5 minute freshwater dip the same temperature as display tank which often offers relief IF gill irritation.

OP
OP
GMF21

GMF21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can start with a 5 minute freshwater dip the same temperature as display tank which often offers relief IF gill irritation.
thanks. I'll dip it tonight and hopefully some flukes come off and all is well. Fingers crossed!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree - I think it is being intimidated by another fish - you may not see active aggression, but something it keeping it up there. Another option could be swim bladder issues (can happen with this group of wrasses due to collection issues). I think it is breathing fast as well.

Observational quarantine is almost always a mistake. If the fish get sick, you have to treat them anyway, and if you don't hold them for a long time, they can still easily bring disease into your tank. I avoid Cupramine and ionic copper with wrasses, but copper power and coppersafe are well tolerated if dosed correctly (between 2 and 2.5 ppm). Praziquantel for flukes is also important with these fish.

Jay

OP
OP
GMF21

GMF21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree - I think it is being intimidated by another fish - you may not see active aggression, but something it keeping it up there. Another option could be swim bladder issues (can happen with this group of wrasses due to collection issues). I think it is breathing fast as well.

Observational quarantine is almost always a mistake. If the fish get sick, you have to treat them anyway, and if you don't hold them for a long time, they can still easily bring disease into your tank. I avoid Cupramine and ionic copper with wrasses, but copper power and coppersafe are well tolerated if dosed correctly (between 2 and 2.5 ppm). Praziquantel for flukes is also important with these fish.

Jay
Good news, bad news.

Good news is I put the Labouti wrasse in an acclimation box within the QT tank and the pintail is now swimming around happily.

Bad news, I feel like a bit of a dummy for not seeing the aggression. I've been watching the tank, but I guess Labouti waited for me to walk away.

Quick Q for Jay: you mentioned that people don't hold fish long enough in observational QT, how long do think is adequate?

Appreciate all the advice from all.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good news, bad news.

Good news is I put the Labouti wrasse in an acclimation box within the QT tank and the pintail is now swimming around happily.

Bad news, I feel like a bit of a dummy for not seeing the aggression. I've been watching the tank, but I guess Labouti waited for me to walk away.

Quick Q for Jay: you mentioned that people don't hold fish long enough in observational QT, how long do think is adequate?

Appreciate all the advice from all.
The trouble is, the length of time for observational quarantine to work can be essentially forever - the fish could have a latent gill fluke infection for literally years, and could infect other fish.
That said, anything less than 45 days is dangerous. 60 days is good.

Jay

Back