Wrasse to eat Zoa eating Nudibranch

Wick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i'm reading that there are wrasse's that eat nudibranchs. Was wondering the "best" one to keep to help fight them off. ( i have the ones that are eating my zoanthids.) Thanks in advance.

OP
OP
Wick

Wick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a 6 line before and never had this problem that i do now without. I was thinking about playing it safe and get another one but then I was reading about the Green Coris Wrasse does the best job.

OP
OP
Wick

Wick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1656713963245.png

HBtank

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very hit or miss, which is pretty common with these types of pest controls. I tried multiple Halichoeres with no luck, including yellow coris. No green coris though

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no silver bullet "best". My favorite in general is a red coris but they need a very large tank. In qt i keep a yellow.

For zoa nudis though i always have good luck with flatworm exit. Requires multiple tank treatments cause it wont get the eggs, but it is a generally safe and effective treatment. Natural predators are more likely to keep populations under control moreso than eradicate them completely.

OP
OP
Wick

Wick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no silver bullet "best". My favorite in general is a red coris but they need a very large tank. In qt i keep a yellow.

For zoa nudis though i always have good luck with flatworm exit. Requires multiple tank treatments cause it wont get the eggs, but it is a generally safe and effective treatment. Natural predators are more likely to keep populations under control moreso than eradicate them completely.
i was reading about this today too! but some of the replies were saying their fish were dying instantly with it? maybe i should read more about it? or do both the wrasse and this if the wrasse doesn't eat.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i was reading about this today too! but some of the replies were saying their fish were dying instantly with it? maybe i should read more about it? or do both the wrasse and this if the wrasse doesn't eat.

Thats a new one to me. Been using over a decade and never an issue with wide variety of fish. I use it as part of dip regimen on any incoming coral.

Only issues i have ever heard was when used for flatworms but seems more likely that is more from the flatworm death rather than the flatworm exit. Sounds like you have read of others with not so good of results so i cant explain that other than personally never had any issue.

OP
OP
Wick

Wick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats a new one to me. Been using over a decade and never an issue with wide variety of fish. I use it as part of dip regimen on any incoming coral.

Only issues i have ever heard was when used for flatworms but seems more likely that is more from the flatworm death rather than the flatworm exit. Sounds like you have read of others with not so good of results so i cant explain that other than personally never had any issue.
i may try this out also and use it as it tells you how to, ty!

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
instead of one pest eating wrasse.... just add like 8 of them... that should put a dent....

ha! I know that sounds ridiculous..... I like sand sleepers though and have 6 in my 80 :) That is a lot of wrasse eyes constantly inspecting coral.

OP
OP
Wick

Wick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
instead of one pest eating wrasse.... just add like 8 of them... that should put a dent....

ha! I know that sounds ridiculous..... I like sand sleepers though and have 6 in my 80 :) That is a lot of wrasse eyes constantly inspecting coral.
lol yea that would be a bit much for me lol

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 106 86.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%

Back