Wrasse upside down and heavy breathing

wmchaseb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wasn't sure where exactly to post this.

I had a McCosker's Flasher Wrasse on the last day of QT when I noticed he was upside down on the floor of the tank with very heavy breathing. The dt and qt tank I have are at my workplace. Last I had saw the wrasse was yesterday around 5pm when I had last fed, and he seemed to eat and swim just fine. I went to check on them today at around 10am and he was laying there almost dead. I went to google was to do but when I went back to the tank 5 mins later he was already dead. I follow humble fish protocol on qt and he was on the last day of copper. What do you think the cause would be, and should I worry about the other fish in the qt who was with him?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the correct section to post in.

What other fish are in the tank?
Are they showing any symptoms?
What copper did you use, what concentration and how many days?

Jay

OP
OP
W

wmchaseb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What other fish are in the tank? One spot foxface
Are they showing any symptoms? no
What copper did you use, what concentration and how many days? Copperpower sat around 2.3 for 28 days. Today was day 28 (or 4 full weeks). They had already went through the doses of metro and general cure at the beginning of qt process. They also were fed general cure food mixture for 10ish days.

OP
OP
W

wmchaseb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too add to this they water temp was 78, and salinity was 1.022. I check nitrate today just to see and it was at 12ppm. The qt was a 20 gallon long with aqua clear 50 with no media. It also has a foam/sponge filters with air stone, and small cheap power head for good oxygenation.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That all sounds good, I just wanted to rule out Amyloodinium here.
So- I can’t tell you what happened to the wrasse, but it was likely isolated to that fish. That said, I never release fish from quarantine within 2 weeks of an undiagnosed fish death in the group, and I’ll often wait 4 weeks....
Jay

OP
OP
W

wmchaseb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the reply! I usually do 2 weeks of observation after the qt. I will possible do up to 4 weeks like you mentioned.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.3%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.1%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back