Wrasse....What's on her side?

clhardy5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 4 fish that have been in a observation QT for 28 days. They have been eating well, with no signs of disease...until this morning. While feeding them I noticed some white stuff on one side of my wrasse. He ate well, and seems to swimming fine. Is this something I should treat? He has a nip out of his tail courteously of the hippo tang....but they've worked things out, and I haven't seen any aggression in two weeks. He did just wake up, so I'm hoping it is just something left on him from where he slept. All other fish look fine. Looking for all/any thoughts.

wrasse.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remember that fish can maintain chronic infections of protozoans and metazoans through literally any length of observational quarantine you are likely to apply. There will always be some risk unless you perform a comprehensive protocol.

In regards to the lesion on this fish - tough to see, could just be mucus from having recently woken up. If so, that will go away during the day. It could also be a bacterial overgrowth due to some minor injury. That also will likely resolve on its own. It could also be Brooklynella, but I doubt that unless you have wild caught clownfish in the same tank. Finally, it could be flukes, but since the lesion is only on one side, and flukes should be spread evenly across the fish, that may not be it either.

Prazipro is relatively safe, as long as you increase the aeration, you should consider at least dosing that two times a week apart.

Jay

p.s. - sorry for the delay in my response, I didn't see your post until this morning.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 43.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back