Wrasse with Lympho in mouth????

Thomashtom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Anyone hear of a fish getting Lympho in mouth? My wrasse has stopped eating and has no other Symptoms except what looks like a cotton ball in his mouth!!!! He acts like he has a bad taste in mouth and is trying to spit something out of his mouth!!! Had him for years but Moray eel stressed the crap out of him a month ago and has went down hill since. Been dosing his food with Vitachem and he was doing better up until a few days ago. Dosed Vitamin C in tank hoping to build up his immune system!! any suggestions??? Thank you

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Anyone hear of a fish getting Lympho in mouth? My wrasse has stopped eating and has no other Symptoms except what looks like a cotton ball in his mouth!!!! He acts like he has a bad taste in mouth and is trying to spit something out of his mouth!!! Had him for years but Moray eel stressed the crap out of him a month ago and has went down hill since. Been dosing his food with Vitachem and he was doing better up until a few days ago. Dosed Vitamin C in tank hoping to build up his immune system!! any suggestions??? Thank you

Can you post a picture?

Lymphocystis can involve a fish's mouth, and that is the one case where it can sometimes be fatal (because the fish may stop feeding). On the other hand, bacterial diseases can cause similar symptoms, but are treatable with antibiotics. Lymphocystis is rare to non-existent in long term captive fish, so I would have to say this is either a bacterial disease or (rarely) some type of cancer (those are not usually white).

Jay

OP
OP
T

Thomashtom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wish I could get a good pic !! But it’s hard to get a pic of inside his mouth ! He is mainly hanging out in his cave. Will try. May have to QT him if I can catch him without stressing him out! What antibiotics would you recommend? Metroplex,kanaplex, erthytomicin? Thanks

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wish I could get a good pic !! But it’s hard to get a pic of inside his mouth ! He is mainly hanging out in his cave. Will try. May have to QT him if I can catch him without stressing him out! What antibiotics would you recommend? Metroplex,kanaplex, erthytomicin? Thanks

I would suggest Kanaplex, Neoplex or Maracyn 2. Without running a sensitivity test (like they sometimes do with humans) there is no way to know which antibiotic will be most effective. Melafix is a tonic, not a true antibiotic. I usually use Erythromycin for treating eye diseases.

Jay

Back