Wrasse with white fungal infection or sore?

Cantusaurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my possum wrasse. I somehow netted him out of my DT. I’m dipping him in Methelyne blue right now.
does anyone know what this is near his fin?
Other then that he’s been completely normal and acting very wrasse like.
Is this a sore, tumor, or fungus?
995788DF-FBED-478C-932D-49403E0D5DC6.jpeg

5E91787B-EB5C-4E96-89FF-C987F2B39EF9.jpeg

Should I try using a glove to gently hold him and remove whatever this is? Or just feed continue to feed him well, and hope for the best.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my possum wrasse. I somehow netted him out of my DT. I’m dipping him in Methelyne blue right now.
does anyone know what this is near his fin?
Other then that he’s been completely normal and acting very wrasse like.
Is this a sore, tumor, or fungus?
995788DF-FBED-478C-932D-49403E0D5DC6.jpeg

5E91787B-EB5C-4E96-89FF-C987F2B39EF9.jpeg

Should I try using a glove to gently hold him and remove whatever this is? Or just feed continue to feed him well, and hope for the best.

Tough to see - do you mean the lump at the bottom of the fish, below the second pale stripe? There is also a smaller dot further back.

It is unlikely to be a true fungus, unless it seemed to grow from within the fish and spread outward. External fungus are extremely rare in marine fishes. It could be a tumor, but that would have grown over weeks to months. It could be a bacterial infection. You could try treating with a gram negative, broad spectrum antibiotic like Neoplex.
Methylene blue is pretty old school, and unless you know the dose being used, it is difficult to dial it in properly.

Jay

OP
OP
Cantusaurus

Cantusaurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tough to see - do you mean the lump at the bottom of the fish, below the second pale stripe? There is also a smaller dot further back.

It is unlikely to be a true fungus, unless it seemed to grow from within the fish and spread outward. External fungus are extremely rare in marine fishes. It could be a tumor, but that would have grown over weeks to months. It could be a bacterial infection. You could try treating with a gram negative, broad spectrum antibiotic like Neoplex.
Methylene blue is pretty old school, and unless you know the dose being used, it is difficult to dial it in properly.

Jay
It’s the white thing near his side fin. You can see it better in the 2nd picture. I only have Metroplex, Erythromycin, and Amoxicillin. Which one would be best? It’s protruding substantially and it’s really obvious when you see it in person.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s the white thing near his side fin. You can see it better in the 2nd picture. I only have Metroplex, Erythromycin, and Amoxicillin. Which one would be best? It’s protruding substantially and it’s really obvious when you see it in person.
Well, none of those would be my first choice, but Amox would be the best of the three.
Jay

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back