Wrasses and treatment

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new qt protocol is such that all fish go through copper, then 2 rounds of prazi, then 30 days of observation. I’ve read on here that many wrasses are sensitive to copper and Chloroquine Phosphate is a safer alternative. I bought CP in anticipation of purchasing wrasses. However, on the site I got it from, I just noticed it says it’s not safe for use with anthias, wrasses, or hippo tangs. Sooooo which is it?!? How would you treat a wrasse for parasites.
Please no do-not-treat-prophylacticaly advisers. I’ve done my research and I’ve decided this is the route I’d like to take. I respect your decision not to treat all fish and ask that you respect my decision too.

Ps - excuse the font. I messed it up and now can’t fix it

CDavmd

AstroReefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Wrasses do not tolerate CP. Some will be ok in Copper but you have to go very very slowly. Otherwise the tank transfer method followed by a couple rounds of general cure is the easiest method on the fish. Hope this helps.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some wrasses might tolerate CP. The thalassoma genus seems to do fine in it for me.

Copper is definitely a much safer route to go with any Wrasse. I have treated many of them including sensitive leopards etc with copper power at 1.75-2.0ppm without any issue.

jwshiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just released 4 wrasses into my DT last night after 7 weeks in QT!

I have QT many wrasse with Copper Power for 30 days at 1.8 to 2.0 using the Hanna Copper Checker with 100% success. When I first started to QT all fish after a hard and expensive lesson learned (marine velvet is nasty stuff) I began with Cupramine with mixed results. I used Copper Power in my last three QT's and will be using it exclusively in the future. When I start dosing copper I dose every other day for a total of four doses to reach my target number. I have never had a problem with wrasses or any other fish. IMO I think the Hanna Checker has been the key to my success because the other test available are very hard to read accurately. When I first got my Hanna Checker (four QT's ago) and tested the water that I thought was at 2.0 was actually 2.6 and I could tell the fish were struggling. To me the Hanna Checker is a must and a sound investment.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 41.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

• I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

• I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back