Wrasses for a reef tank and wont jump

Ksmmike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I lost a tang today and other than my yellow tang, which is very hardy, I'm thinking about moving on from buying another tang. I've been beginning to research wrasses and it appears that fairy wrasses might be the best for a reef tank. I already have a well established leopard wrasse, who has survived a battle with marine velvet in the tank many months ago(was my only survivor and yes he was removed and treated for 70 days before going back into the main display) So I'm attached to my leopard wrasse and want other wrasses that will get long with the one I have already.

Since the outbreak, I've added 2 clowns, yellow tang, cleaner goby and a foxface. The other chocolate was added too but was found dead today :(

I'm not going to add anymore fish until I can figure out what happened to my chocolate tang (he didn't have any spots and was eating and acting normal even last night. I did notice the cleaner goby cleaning the tang a few times, but I didn't see anything as far as spots or dust, ect. The tang had been in quarantine and was treated with cupermine and prazipro months ago. He had been in the main display for about 4 months, so not sure what's going on.

Anyway, I'm looking for suggestions for wrasses of any type that wont jump and wont eat corals or snails. I do have a sand bed. My leopard sleeps in it every night. There just seems to be so many wrasses, I'm looking from others who have multiple wrasses in one tank. Please no 6 lines. I've done enough research to know I don't want one of those.

thanks
Mike

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately there really isn't any such thing as a non jumping wrasse.......or any fish for that matter (although wrasses are more prone to jumping than a lot of other fish). Your best bet is to get a cover.....or just get used to losing fish :( I have had lionfish and clowns jump....finally broke down and got a lid.

ZachR32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a tall order for a wrasse my friend! I've had good luck with yellow coris wrasses in open top tanks before, but they definitely can pick at some inverts. Usually wrasses get excited by sudden movement, but you might get the luck of the draw on a certain individual.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with everyone, any and all fish could "jump". It's always best to have your tank covered with a screen or canopy to keep them from jumping!

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*Disregard information below*
Fwiw. If really dont want a full cover a partial cover along the sides say 2 inches deep will save most jumpers according to those with eurobracing. Never had a eurobraced tank so really third hand account.
But they propose that most fish dart up the walls of the tanks when frightened and end up going over.

Last edited:

Oshengems

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leopard wrasses swimming seems a bit different than other wrasses like the flashers less chances of them jumping out they constantly inspecting rocks and sand but seems like you have one already, but like everyone says none they all have that possibility, I had a .5” clown fish jump out he was a lil tiny speck and it was juts him and a purple dartfish in a 75g so yeah hard to say fish that won’t jump they all do

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fwiw. If really dont want a full cover a partial cover along the sides say 2 inches deep will save most jumpers according to those with eurobracing. Never had a eurobraced tank so really third hand account.
But they propose that most fish dart up the walls of the tanks when frightened and end up going over.
Euro bracing doesnt stop jumping.

USMC 4 LIFE

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish compatibility and aggression play a part in jumpers. My tank is also 24” high so that can certainly help as well if a skirmish broke out between two fishes. 6 leopards and one fairy introduced into a 220 from a 90 in reverse dominance order.

Sand burrowing wrasses seem like a logical choice since they burrow when scared. But I’m no expert and would research the fishes chances of jumping when introduced in your tank.

How established is your current leopard? Size and gender?

Eva Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any fish can jump if startled. And it is surprising what can startle them. I have had all peaceful fish that one jumped at noise or movement by a child or even car backfire. A cheap and effective tool is to make diy screens that will fit over the top of your tank. These screens “give” when a fish hits them and it helps prevent injury. I like them better than a canopy too. We made screens when a fish jumped out and through the small space between the tank and canopy. Screens are easy to clean. Just a quick rinse in the shower once a month or less.
But as far as chances go, wrasses love to jump. Mine used to bounce back into the water regularly, so I was glad of the screens.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi guys! Im Looking for a wrasse that doesn't jump?

Group-of-Laughing-People-At-Work.jpg

Friday24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can’t tell you how many times I’ve had to get a wrasse out of my overflows on a covered tank...I also lost a 5-6” Rabbit in the middle of the night that knocked the cover off the tank while jumping...didn’t find him till morning. ☹️

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep Leopard Trio for 4-5 years in an open tank (320 gal) with no jumping.
I have since put a cover on this tank because I added a large number of Flasher and Fairy wrasses. BTW I also have a Harlequin Tusk in the same tank at the time. No jumping either.

OP
OP
K

Ksmmike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish compatibility and aggression play a part in jumpers. My tank is also 24” high so that can certainly help as well if a skirmish broke out between two fishes. 6 leopards and one fairy introduced into a 220 from a 90 in reverse dominance order.

Sand burrowing wrasses seem like a logical choice since they burrow when scared. But I’m no expert and would research the fishes chances of jumping when introduced in your tank.

How established is your current leopard? Size and gender?

Tank is 120 gallon and 9 months old, not including cycling for 60 days. The leopard has been in there from day 1 (after cycling) except for the 70 days he was back in QT because I had Marine Velvet. But its a male and was one of the first 2 fish in originally and one of the first 2 back in after the parasites.

For all that talked about jumpers, I fully understand that any fish can jump, but I also know some are more prone than others. I wasn't sure if any wrasses are less likely to be jumpers. The leopard always buries in the sand when scared, tho its rare for him to be scared. My fish all seem to get along. There's only 7 in the tank and are fed well(not overfed) I was only adding 2 fish a month.

I also have a biocube and my clown jumps out of the tank at me every time I do a water change.
thanks for the replies
Mike

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Potters wrasse has jumped twice (during the feeding frenzy) and I have tight fitting lids. He did when I took a lid off to feed so I was right there to get him back in quickly.

It's pretty simple. If you want to keep wrasses a lid is a necessity to do it responsibly.

I have a new lid for my pico coming from Octo Aquatics. If it's as good as I expect, I'll be ordering them for my 6 foot tank too.

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*Disregard information below*
oh yeah?? want to see my dead sergeant tang that jumped out of a eurobraced tank?

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is 120 gallon and 9 months old, not including cycling for 60 days. The leopard has been in there from day 1 (after cycling) except for the 70 days he was back in QT because I had Marine Velvet. But its a male and was one of the first 2 fish in originally and one of the first 2 back in after the parasites.

For all that talked about jumpers, I fully understand that any fish can jump, but I also know some are more prone than others. I wasn't sure if any wrasses are less likely to be jumpers. The leopard always buries in the sand when scared, tho its rare for him to be scared. My fish all seem to get along. There's only 7 in the tank and are fed well(not overfed) I was only adding 2 fish a month.

I also have a biocube and my clown jumps out of the tank at me every time I do a water change.
thanks for the replies
Mike
I hear what you are saying regarding the leopard but it is only a matter of time before even he ends up on the floor. I fought covers for a LONG time......had fish for over a year that never jumped. It only takes you losing that prized fish to change your mind on lids :(

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some fish are much more likely to jump than other. Size of the tank, how happy/healthy they are, are there any aggressive fish, and how active, curious are the fish are all contribute to the tendency to jump.
Most wrasses are so very active and wide ranging, that is why they have a tendency to jump. Most wrasse jump because they want to get out of the confine of the tank. They look and find a small crack and go through it. It is not a random jumping that result of them ended up on the carpet. Becasue of this reason, tightly fitted lid is highly recommended if you want to keep almost all wrasses.

With that said, there are some species that does not intentional jump out of tank if they are happy. Leopard wrasse and Harlequin Tusk are the two that I have personal experiences with. I had them for years, multiple specimens, and never loose on due to jumping in an open top 4oo and 320 DT. I keep fish for so long that I even I lost on female clown from jumping out of a 28 gal cube with only a Crocea, Magnifica and a male, her mate, Percula as her tank mates. That clown was as happy and healthy as a clown can be. This is as unusual as it get, and I have never lost a Leopard or Harlequin Tusk to jumping.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 119 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back