• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

WTB acrylic splash guard for ATI Sunpower 60" 8 bulb fixture

mjt82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know its a long shot, but is anyone selling an acrylic splash guard for a 60" ATI T5 fixture? Mine is warped - I've contacted them about a replacement, and they're $93, which isn't awful, but I thought I'd see if anyone has one they're not using before I buy a new one! Send me a message if you have one! Thanks!

OP
OP
mjt82

mjt82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought about that... Would you happen to know if the clarity is any better with what comes with the light versus what can be purchased at Lowe’s?

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It is SO incredibly warped that it can’t be flipped...

Have a pic? Acrylic is super bendable. Heat gun and a pair of extra hands from a friend would help. You can also just heat it up on a flat surface and let it cool down with some weight on top of it like books.

OP
OP
mjt82

mjt82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a pic? Acrylic is super bendable. Heat gun and a pair of extra hands from a friend would help. You can also just heat it up on a flat surface and let it cool down with some weight on top of it like books.

Interesting! I was afraid that if I applied heat from a heat gun it would somehow opacify the acrylic. I’ll give this a try!

Neto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a powermodule and the thickness on the acrylic is 4mm or 5/32 (0.156). This is something you can only buy on Europe, so far I haven't found a direct replacement for mine other than ATI north america. It needs to be the exact measurement due to the air flow, something bigger wont fit and something smaller, air will get out and not flow through the right path IMO.

OP
OP
mjt82

mjt82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a powermodule and the thickness on the acrylic is 4mm or 5/32 (0.156). This is something you can only buy on Europe, so far I haven't found a direct replacement for mine other than ATI north america. It needs to be the exact measurement due to the air flow, something bigger wont fit and something smaller, air will get out and not flow through the right path IMO.

Thanks for the reply - What’s the closest thing you’ve found? ATI quoted me $93 for a replacement. Surely there is something very close to 5/32 that can be used... I can’t imagine the warped mess I have currently is allowing for optimal air flow... Haha...

Neto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The closest thing you can buy in the USA is 1/8" which is 0.125". I am not 100% sure but I think the brand of these acrylic from factory is Evonik plexiglass XT which is an extruded sheet. Remember, these units fans blow air first through the ballast and later through the bulbs. If your unit has a warped acrylic then, most likely, the bulbs are not being cooled and will not last as much as one that was cooled.

I ordered a replacement for my old style 8x24w powermodule and it was $57.95 + $13 shipping. It will take 2 weeks to manufacture, my hope is that it measures 4mm or 5/32 otherwise I will be ticked off. I can get an 1/8" shield locally for less than $15.

OP
OP
mjt82

mjt82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The closest thing you can buy in the USA is 1/8" which is 0.125". I am not 100% sure but I think the brand of these acrylic from factory is Evonik plexiglass XT which is an extruded sheet. Remember, these units fans blow air first through the ballast and later through the bulbs. If your unit has a warped acrylic then, most likely, the bulbs are not being cooled and will not last as much as one that was cooled.

I ordered a replacement for my old style 8x24w powermodule and it was $57.95 + $13 shipping. It will take 2 weeks to manufacture, my hope is that it measures 4mm or 5/32 otherwise I will be ****** off. I can get an 1/8" shield locally for less than $15.

So that 1/32” is enough to cause it to be inefficient in cooling??

Neto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So that 1/32” is enough to cause it to be inefficient in cooling??

In my opinion, it will leak some air and the shield will be weaker and prone to warping more easily. This is a reply on a different forum on this subject from an individual who works for ATI.

"Unfortunately this is 4mm Metric acrylic which I do not believe is available in North America. This is why our distributor supplies replacement shields for Powermodules. While not cheap since it is imported from Germany it is likely your best bet.
You can find replacement shields on our parts store.atinorthamerica.com"

Neto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
one thing you can do is buy a 3/16" thick acrylic shield and trim the ATI side plate so that you can install it.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 37 34.6%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 29 27.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back