• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

WTB Yellow Fiji Leather (Sarcophyton Elegans)

squidsreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems that Yellow Fiji leathers have been harder to come by recently due to the Fiji coral export ban, and limiting sales to be imported from either Tonga or aquaculture. If anyone has a frag or colony of Yellow Fiji leather, I would love to buy it off of you. I've seen some for sale online, but most do not include pictures of the specific coral, or have prices for frags that are far too high (I've seen frags for as much as 200$, but most sites have them around 35-50$) Unfortunately, most of the sites are sold out right now except for the super expensive ones.

I would prefer a frag or colony that is showing bright yellow colors as opposed to the brownish/green that some unhealthier colonies display.

1608220762362.png

Please PM if you have one that you would want to sell! I am located about an hour away from Philadelphia, PA.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I've been trying to find one too.
I saw one on a vendors website that looked pretty yellow and appeared to be the right shape.
But once I got it in my tank, it was a blah brown.
I complained to the vendor and asked about the lighting it was under and I was told ( don't believe it) the picture was taken under 10k lighting and because my tank was heavy 20k, it wouldn't look yellow.

Spazizz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My parent colony is closed up right now but I can take a pic of it any ways if you’d like. It’s from the same source as the one you pictured. No frag pics since Id cut a frag if you’d want one.

Jposch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been trying to find one too.
I saw one on a vendors website that looked pretty yellow and appeared to be the right shape.
But once I got it in my tank, it was a blah brown.
I complained to the vendor and asked about the lighting it was under and I was told ( don't believe it) the picture was taken under 10k lighting and because my tank was heavy 20k, it wouldn't look yellow.
It is true that the bluer lighting will wash out the yellow fiji leather. Just as it makes it difficult to see any common brown/pink leathers. My soft coral tank is lot with 14k halides. A nice crisp white. Also, the fiji yellow is more sensitive than other soft coral and should be left to heal before moving tanks. Would not recommend a fresh cut. Almost a guarantee it will melt away within a week.

Attachments

• 20201212_230436.jpg
    20201212_230436.jpg
    227.7 KB · Views: 77
OP
OP
squidsreef

squidsreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is true that the bluer lighting will wash out the yellow fiji leather. Just as it makes it difficult to see any common brown/pink leathers. My soft coral tank is lot with 14k halides. A nice crisp white. Also, the fiji yellow is more sensitive than other soft coral and should be left to heal before moving tanks. Would not recommend a fresh cut. Almost a guarantee it will melt away within a week.
Any reason the colors in pictures are normally bright yellow? All the ones I have seen in tanks are really pale and brownish.

Spazizz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most yellow leathers are coming from Australia right now not Fiji, that is what is in the ops picture. They are reported to be hardier, with slight differences in appearances.

Jposch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another reason is lighting. Whiter lights make the coral produce the yellow pigments. I juat got some yellow polyps (I call them fake aptasia) and after being under 14k halides, the yellow is getting brighter. They were almost brown when I received them.

PeterReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in Lancaster, I should have some frags soon if you’re interested.
Let me know if there’s any yellow Fiji frags available. I will definitely take one, just let me know how much.
Thanks a lot, Pete

burningedge

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking to buy a good yellow fiji/Tonga leather (Sarcophyton elegans). If anyone has one or knows how I could get my hands on one, l'd really appreciate it. Thanks.

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.3%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 35 17.2%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 36 17.7%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 100 49.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back