WVNeds's Tanks

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The drab problematic fish are getting a new home.
He looks excited.
IMG_6882-L.jpg

Quite honestly these guys have grown like weeds and are 4 times bigger than when I got them 3 months ago. I asked about the growth rate in the fish forum and was told they are drab and problematic and to get rid if them. Never did find out about the growth rate.
I didn't get rid of them. I can be drab and problematic myself at times myself. Glad my wife keeps me.

PetSmart had a 75 Gallon with stand for $299 and I couldn't pass it up.

I have never been a fan of a column style tank I am using now for a marine setup.
It was free. It would be fine if if my arms were longer. Of course they would drag on the ground then.
I was afraid if I stacked the rock work tall enough to use the height it would fall and break the tank. Gluing the rocks seems like a good idea until you need to remove them to get at something or remove a fish. I had a bicolor blenny that had to be hospitalized for a bacterial infection. I took the rock he lived in out and shook it over the HT until he came out. Neon Dottybacks are a bit aggressive at times.

He is fine now.

So far I have made a simple sump out of a 20L I had stored and the glass that came for the top of the new tank. I have always run my tanks open top. My daughter held the glass crooked while I ran the
glue in. Oh well. It will work. The cat was told she couldn't sit in the tank and is pouting in a box.
IMG_0331%5B1%5D-L.jpg

I have a Reef Octopus 152S skimmer sitting in it. I planning to upgrade the sump later but I have always used a simple 2 chamber sump and I found the only way to get it into the stand is through the top so this is going to be it.
I am going to use a HOB overflow and a Sicce return pump. The should be here tomorrow according to the tracking. I tested the tank and the bottom is tempered but the sides aren't. I have drilled tanks before but decided to keep this one intact for future flexibility. We are looking for a new house. If I can find one with a basement this tank may become a sump. Don't tell my wife. Thanks.

I am off to buy another trashcan and then start making water. I need to get the stuff to rebuild my DIY light holder too. I plan to slip EMT inside the PVC so it doesn't sag.
Light upgrade is planned but I have to wait for the wife to get over what I have bought so far.

I have decided to put down 40 pounds of crushed coral and the cover it with 80 pounds of Caribsea reef sand. Have to get that today too.
Both of my sons will be here Saturday to do the heavy lifting.
Much to do.

and I have to get dog food, almost forgot.

Moving on up
IMG_6891-XL.jpg

Last edited:

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never forget the dog food ;)

Great looking build thread so far, look's like you've got a great project on your hands :)

OP
OP
WVNed

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fun weekend. All the kids came in so there were lots of people and 12 dogs here. After 2 am Saturday morning there where only 11 dogs.

RIP Toby

a-3296-X3.jpg

005-L.jpg

IMG_3267-XL.jpg

He was a great friend and we had many good times.
One of those things you always know is coming but never gets any easier.

I didn't get everything done but it has water in it. The rocks got pitched in and everything is alive.
and I did get it painted this time.
IMG_0334%5B1%5D-XL.jpg

OP
OP
WVNed

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally got the HOB overflow to work and not sound like a drowning water buffalo. Do not buy a single drain overflow for more than 200 GPH. The Eshopps PF-1o00 works great once you throw all the stuff away for inside it and make your own. The Tunze ATO is hooked up and nothing has flooded.

The Reefbreeders Photon V2 is supposed to be here tomorrow.

Woo Hoo

IMG_0340%5B1%5D-XL.jpg

Quiet Bear is sleeping.

OP
OP
WVNed

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0342%5B1%5D-XL.jpg

The Photon V2 is programmed. This is a beautiful light. I am not a fan of pendant style lights that hang from above.

Final configuration

Marineland 75 gallon with stand
Reefbreeders Photon V2 48
Eshoppes PF-1000 HOB overflow with 2 x 1" drains
Sicce 3.0 syncra return pump with 1" return
Reef Octopus 152s skimmer
2 Jebao PP-8 wave pumps
2 Maxspect XF 230 gyre pumps
2 Eheim 150W heaters on Inkbird controller
Tunze Osmolator 3155 ATO
20L DIY sump with glass baffles cut from the tank top.
55 pounds live rock and a 4x8x8 Marinepure block in the sump
40 pounds crushed coral
80 pounds Caribsea special grade reef sand.

The livestock I started the 56 gallon with have transferred fine and are all doing great.

Time to go find them some new friends.

Thanks for stopping bye.

OP
OP
WVNed

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When all else fails read the sticky in the photography forum. Doh

Time for some Vibrant again.
IMG_6983-L.jpg

I moved this rock to the top because it has a nice whole for a frag plug.

IMG_6982-L.jpg

New head
IMG_6980-L.jpg

IMG_6990-L.jpg

8 times bigger now.
IMG_6986-L.jpg

Time to go find some more stuff.
Going very slow seems to be working really well.
I only have to clean the glass every 5 days or so. The rocks are clean and there is very little algae.
IMG_6995-XL.jpg

IMG_7004-X2.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
WVNed

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No PAR readings. I doubt there is a PAR meter within 150 miles of me to even borrow. I have ramped it up to 52% on the blue channels and will probably leave it like this for a while.
Ned1.png

OP
OP
WVNed

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly, the drab problematic fish are gone. Off to find a new home at the LFS. I had to remove most of the rocks to get them out. I can never get them back the same way.
They did an excellent job of starting my tank and I wish them well.

With Jaws 1 and 2 gone some new friends have come to live with me.
3 green Chromis, 2 clowns, foxface and a Kole tang.
The foxface goes to the back of the tank, lies down and turns grey like a dead fish every time I go near the tank. I don't usually name my stuff but he has become known as Zombie Drama Queen.
That makes 10 fish some I am probably going to stop there except I have always wanted a jaw fish so once the new guys settle in I may add that last. Or until they weed each other out over time.
I picked up some more small corals from the LFS. I buy the bits they will sell for $10.
IMG_7041-L.jpg

The Blue Ridge coral has started to spread and grow.
IMG_7037-L.jpg

I removed one of the PP-8s and turned up the Gyres a bit. I also decided to rework my return so it isn't a giant fire hose pouring into the tank. Right now it looks sketchy but I have some schedule 80 parts to go all black and hide it again. Think it will clean up the look a lot. It reduced the flow some and I had to move some things but them seem OK again now.
I also cut off the light mounts so they done stick down the sides any more.
I think I am going to source some thin black plastic and place a 3 inch strip of it on the light with car body trim tape. That should block me from seeing the emitters when I look at the tank. I don't want to go blind after all. Perhaps at a sign shop.

Here is what I see from my desk. So far everything has gone the way I wanted to. They tank has stayed amazngly clean and free from stuff
IMG_7025-XL.jpg

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly, the drab problematic fish are gone. Off to find a new home at the LFS. I had to remove most of the rocks to get them out. I can never get them back the same way.
They did an excellent job of starting my tank and I wish them well.

With Jaws 1 and 2 gone some new friends have come to live with me.
3 green Chromis, 2 clowns, foxface and a Kole tang.
The foxface goes to the back of the tank, lies down and turns grey like a dead fish every time I go near the tank. I don't usually name my stuff but he has become known as Zombie Drama Queen.
That makes 10 fish some I am probably going to stop there except I have always wanted a jaw fish so once the new guys settle in I may add that last. Or until they weed each other out over time.
I picked up some more small corals from the LFS. I buy the bits they will sell for $10.
IMG_7041-L.jpg

The Blue Ridge coral has started to spread and grow.
IMG_7037-L.jpg

I removed one of the PP-8s and turned up the Gyres a bit. I also decided to rework my return so it isn't a giant fire hose pouring into the tank. Right now it looks sketchy but I have some schedule 80 parts to go all black and hide it again. Think it will clean up the look a lot. It reduced the flow some and I had to move some things but them seem OK again now.
I also cut off the light mounts so they done stick down the sides any more.
I think I am going to source some thin black plastic and place a 3 inch strip of it on the light with car body trim tape. That should block me from seeing the emitters when I look at the tank. I don't want to go blind after all. Perhaps at a sign shop.

Here is what I see from my desk. So far everything has gone the way I wanted to. They tank has stayed amazngly clean and free from stuff
IMG_7025-XL.jpg

Looking great! The new fish are seen quite happy out and about.

OP
OP
WVNed

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time for an update.
Seems like forever but its been 2 1/2 months.

Running on Maxspect Gyre power only now. I am now certain that a new tank needs more flow than most people are using.

IMG_7051-XL.jpg

The schedule 80 PVC from BRS isn't black. Oh well. What I got from Rural king is but no 45s. Coraline will cover it someday.
17 corals
3 green chromis ( Huey, Dewie and Louie)
2 clowns ( BoBo and Dingbat)
Bicolor blenny
Indigo dottyback
Fu Manchu lion
Kole tang
Foxface
Tiger Jawfish
Fire shrimp
Cleaner shrimp
3 Peppermint shrimp
Fan worm
Emerald crab
2 Conch
Hermits
Snails
Rock Nem

The garden is planted. Time to watch it grow.

It appears my first Kole tang and my large watchmen goby had a death match under the rocks. It was a tie. Both died.

The cleaner shrimp is fascinated with the Fu Manchu. The Fu Manchu thinks he is going to have shrimp soon.

Still no algae. Like none. Not sure why.

So far I have killed 5 aiptasia with salt saturated vinegar. This is my proprietary method. I must be given credit if you use it.

I am trying filter socks. I got ones with drawstrings and slipped them on the drain and tied then up. Never used them before.

Last edited:
OP
OP
WVNed

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been a while.
IMG_7118a-X2.jpg

My nitrates went to 100. I started dosing NOPOX and phosphates and got them back down to 40 or less between water changes.

I had a Tiger Jawfish carpet surf so I remade my cover and so far the new one has stayed in the tank.

I have stopped adding anything new and am going to let the system mature now. I think I overdid it with the fish. A weekly large water change seems to be holding my parameters within limits.
I have a
Bicolor Blenny
Matted Filefish
Tiger Jawfish
3 Green Chromis
Indigo Dottyback
Kole Tang
Foxface
2 Clowns
Starry Blenny
Fire Shrimp
Cleaner Shrimp
Peppermint Shrimp
3 types of fan worms
Gorgonian
Various softies and LPS
There is nothing in this tank that cost more than $40 and I got several frags for $5.
IMG_7120-L.jpg

IMG_7123-L.jpg

IMG_7124-L.jpg

IMG_7130-L.jpg

IMG_7134-L.jpg

IMG_7135-L.jpg

The fish seem fat and happy.
The whole disease thing scares me but I haven't seen it yet. In more than 10 years. Nothing in this tank was quarantined or dipped. Just well fed and fussed over.
I now have additions from 2 Petcos, Inland Reef (a LFS), Specialty Pets (Another LFS), GARF, LiveAquaria east, west and DD, Saltwaterfish.com and Liveplants.com.

I have no more planned additions until the tank matures.

I still cant take a decent picture. Sorry....

WV Reefer

I do what I want!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things look good! :)

How long have you had the Blue Ridge Coral? Mine doesn’t seem to do anything...... not dying but nothing happening.

Also, I’m gonna need your Aiptasia killer juice recipe.

OP
OP
WVNed

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things look good! :)

How long have you had the Blue Ridge Coral? Mine doesn’t seem to do anything...... not dying but nothing happening.

Also, I’m gonna need your Aiptasia killer juice recipe.
The Blue Ridge was one of the first corals I got. It finally just took off.

I still have the darn aptasia. I think if you nuke them in the tank enough always escapes to make more. If I do it over the sink I seem to get it all. I take some distilled vinegar and add salt until it stops dissolving and use it in a syringe. I have also used lemon juice with the salt in it. They seem to work equally well. If you do it over the sink the pods come jumping out.

Looking good @WVNed

Thanks.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back